I wish my EM-5 would auto select ISO while in Manual Mode

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by bigbluebear, Nov 5, 2013.

1. bigbluebear

bigbluebear Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2013
    Often times I wish my EM-5 would let me set the shutter speed and aperture while selecting the lowest ISO to achieve proper exposure. This is particularly true when I'm indoors like at a concert where the lighting conditions fluctuation very quickly.

If I set it to Aperture mode and set the ISO to auto, I notice that the algorithm will often choose a shutter speed that's closer to 1/60 even though I'm using a 17mm lens. This causes my ISO settings to be much higher than I would like. Taking the time to choose the ISO myself to achieve a shutter speed of 1/15 or 1/20 is just too time consuming, especially when indoors with tons of people moving around.

Is there a solution to my problem?

2. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I am not quite sure I follow what you're trying to accomplish. If you set your shutter speed to 1/15 or 1/20, wouldn't that result in motion blur if you are trying to capture the actions in a concert?

If you are talking about allowing auto ISO in M mode, as your title suggests, your E-M5 actually allows you to do that. You just need to dig into the Custom "E" Menu and click into "ISO - Auto" to change your settings.

• Like Like x 1
  3. bigbluebear

bigbluebear Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2013
    thanks so much! I corrected it in the settings menu :)

4. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    You're welcome. Glad I could help! :wink: