1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I whine (AF failures)

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by RobWatson, Aug 15, 2012.

1. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

<a href="http://minus.com/lsIVzMZmCkSu5">
    <div align=center>
    http://i.minus.com/isIVzMZmCkSu5.JPG" width="400" height="300"
    </div></a>

E-P1+40-150 zoom.

AF fails too much! Even with face detection this happens far too frequently.

• Like Like x 1
  2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Focus looks good on his right ear. You didn't have Ear Detect turned on, did you? :tongue:

• Like Like x 3
  3. whatisinthebag

whatisinthebag Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    Central California
    Chris
    Looking at Exif... to try and explain... perhaps at 1/200 shutter speed, it is possible your subject moved between the time you focused and the shutter triggered?

4. RobWatson

Note the ears are well focused ... I don't think he can move quite that way but he is a sneaky one when he wants to be.

Mostly he was quite still. I did forget that I had switched from auto ISO to 200. He was standing in moderately cold water with no shoes so he was moving slow in general. I suppose he could have pulled the smirk while otherwise being still ...

I have (had) lots of examples of this missed AF - generally I delete them in disgust.

5. dennisk

dennisk Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2011
    Bay Area, California
    Dennis
    How far away was he?

6. RobWatson

exif says "/Exif/OlympusFiMN/FocusDistance", "152/1"

I recall maybe 4 meters.

7. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    What are your AF settings? I just got back from two weeks of travel with >1800 photos. The number with AF problems could be counted on the fingers of one hand.

8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Frustrating! Seems like it's gotta be a problem with either camera or lens. I've never had this problem with any of my MFT gear.

9. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I've found that af with my 40-150 mft works better with my epl2 than my ep1. I normally just use center af and then recompose. The af with the mft 40-150 is superior than the 4/3 version.

• Like Like x 1
  10. RobWatson

AF Mode S-AF
    AF Area (full view)
    Face Detect ON

Just noticed firmware v1.0 and there is a v1.1 but only mentions AF speed for a different camera ... Bogus - won't let me update anyway (maybe need to connect with E-P3).

11. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    Don't let cameras make decisions for you :wink:...turn of face detect, set the af area to a single point, then see how you make you.

12. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Check your release priority settings? - gears/release/rls priority s & rls priority c

I have both turned off. The OMD focuses so fast that I have never run into a situation where having it set off was a problem, even shooting sports (though slower sports, not soccer or lacrosse or similar).

• Like Like x 1
  13. RobWatson

Interesting ... never quite understood this release priority. I have them turned off - that must be why sometimes I don't get a focus lock I cannot take a picture! Really annoying ... guess I'd rather not have a blurry photo but when it is a must good to know to turn these back on.

14. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Well, at any rate that setting isn't why your pix are out of focus!!! :D

15. RobWatson

EXIF lacking?

Interesting that the EXIF does not contain distance info. Surely the lens 'knows' the focus position and can convert that into 'normal' distance units?

Focus position, aperture and focal length are all known so even DOF, etc could be contained/displayed in EXIF. That would be very helpful (my forensics interests are piqued by such things).