I Was Happier When I Printed

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by nueces snapper, Nov 7, 2012.

1. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

I miss printing. There was a time when I did pretty much only Landscape and used large format cameras. I didn't get all that far but did make several prints up to nearly five feet wide over a few years. I mostly printed ( or had prints made ) on canvas, stretched over a wood frame, as I just love the 'painterly' look.

I spent hundreds of enthralled hours searching out worthwhile scenes and would go back time after time at different seasons and under differing atmospheric conditions searching for the new, different and or inspiring captures.

These were the best days for me as far as my photography is concerned. I don't miss film. I could do much the same thing with landscape today with my present equipment using stitching. Now that I do mostly wildlife I would print smaller but still as large as possible. I really really like large prints.

I sold some prints at a gallery but did not care for the whole 'art' scene. Today I would print only for myself. I live in a rather small place and don't have the walls to really display large prints well but am considering a pivoting rack system where many prints can be hung and viewed sequentially in a rather limited space. Kind of like they hang nice area rugs at a retailer.

In the 'old days' I never did acquire my own printer. I came close. I was right on the verge of getting an Epson 9900 when a major life change skewed my plans for a couple years.

I think I'll get a mid sized Epson and get back to it. I remember how much satisfaction I once got from just looking at my own good prints. I may have to hire someone to get me set up with it however. I may not have the patience to teach myself ink jet printing.

Anybody else wish they still printed or might you be thinking of getting into it?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    I hear what you're saying - I just can't afford a good quality printer. If I made a living doing photography it would make sense. Ah, well - I still have fun. :smile:
    • Like Like x 1
  3. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    I'm printing some of my favourite ones too, for no reason, just to feel the joy;)
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I recently got hooked on printing. I tried 20x30 print prepped in PS from raw and it turned out great. I don't have much space suitable for hanging large prints so I do 11x14 prints which fit into 11x14 photo album.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App
    • Like Like x 1
  5. nueces snapper

Yes. Good for you. I can't even really explain why my own prints make me feel the way they do. I only know I never tire of viewing them ( I don't mean uninterupted.) and they effect me differently at different times. Not all of them but certain ones. Perhaps it is as though somehow, I have defeated time and even possessed beauty in some small way. :smile:
  6. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    dont tell me...Im a graphic artist. for me "if its not printed its not finished". i just love the smell, the textures and just simply the "tactile" of things....right?.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. nueces snapper

Nope. It's all visual for me. They say guys are 'visual'. :biggrin:
  8. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    :rofl: ahahahah... yup the "visual" of it. correct.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    I print on a small scale (it's a small house - if I printed something 5' The Princess of the Exchequer would ban them to the garage anyway :biggrin:)

Total waste of time and money - a commercial lab could do it for me cheaper and faster. Paper, ink, inkjet printer...getting the framing wrong and reprinting, getting the colors wrong and reprinting, printing the wrong size and reprinting,...and reprinting...and reprinting :biggrin:.

Still - when I nail a print it's so satisfying it's almost physical.

In 40 years of shooting 35mm film and transparencies I never had a proper darkroom but I'm enjoying the digital 'lightroom' very much. :thumbup:

• Like Like x 2
  10. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    There are any number of high quality printing services to which you can send your files for printing. Pretty much like you used to send off your negatives or slides, but without the risk that they'll lose your only original.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Paul Amyes

Paul Amyes Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2011
    Hobart, Tasmania
    For me printing is where it is at. I've always made prints, black and white FB, RA4, cibachrome and now inkjet. I do all my own matting and framing as well. If I make 15 to 20 really good prints a year then I'm very happy.

Inkjet printing really isn't hard. A calibrated monitor and using genuine inks in a printer with the canned paper manufacturers profiles will get you going. I have 2 favourite types of paper and I stick to them and have no problems getting the quality that I want.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Tincam

Tincam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2012
    I miss printing too. My favorite time in photography was shooting b&w film with an 8x10 camera and making contact prints in my darkroom. It takes so much time and I became such a gear hound that I sold it all off and haven't used the darkroom for years. So sad.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    There is definitely something satisfying to having a print you can touch and admire in person..as opposed to pixel peeping 1's and 0's.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App
    • Like Like x 1
  14. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
    just bought a pro printer

I just bought my first dedicated pro printer and I couldnt be happier.

First off, these pro printers are incredibly cheap at the moment. I bought the Canon Pro 9500 mark 2 which is US$199 after rebates from B&Hphoto. This is for a printer with a RRP of US$799. This is pretty much top of the range Canon - they do have a Pro 1 which is faster and might produce slightly better prints as it has 12 inks compared to the 9500 10 inks. Still US$199 is incredibly cheap if you think that it comes with a full set of 10 ink cartridges which have a RRP of US$150 (although I have seen them for sale on ebay for US$69.99.)

This printer (and I am sure its Epson equivalent) is a big upgrade on the all in one photo printers that are popular. There are no problems with paper jams that I have always had with the 'all in ones'.

Installation is a breeze. However, what surprised me was that I had to do no particular calibrating or adjustment for photos to be printed that came out just liked they looked on the monitor. To be fair, my monitor is color calibrated, I am using Canon inks with the printer plus Canon paper that has its ICC profile included when you set up the printer.

Of course, the cost of running the printer is not particularly cheap. Based on a review of the printer a full set of ink cartridges should be able to print 90 A4 photos. (I am in the 'see it then I will believe it' camp on that statistic but anywhere near that seems acceptable.) Top of the range Canon paper 'Pro Platinum' is US$17 for 20 sheets of A4.

Of course, the reason that owning a printer will definitely prove more expensive than online stores is that you will print many more photos than you would typically order online.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I print. Not as much as I'd like, but, like shooting there is never enough. For me printing completes the photographic cycle.

I used to use Epsons, those huge expensive "pro" printers. Now I use a Canon 9500 MKII, at least equal the quality at a fraction of the cost. Very pleased with the Canon.

I'd like to see some of your old landscape stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Bakker

Bakker New to Mu-43

Aug 10, 2012
    Cannonsburg, MI, USA
    I can relate. I have a few prints of my own that I enjoy. The prints seem to act as a visual mnemonic, a memory prick of a very enjoyable process of getting it just right.

Steve ..
    • Like Like x 1
  17. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Back in the film-only days, back when I was shooting news, when I snapped a keeper, something exceptional ... I'd get a slight tingle in my index finger. After that tingle, I couldn't wait to get back to the darkroom.

• Like Like x 1
  18. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If you love printing, you should try your hand at darkroom and film. Its loads of fun and the only reason why I don't do more of it is that life (growing family, job etc) really just have a higher priority. I have a love hate relationship with digital BUT I am thankful that it became relatively available to the masses just in time when time with photography started to compete with other more important things in life. Convenience factor.

For a while, I was signing up for photography 101 classes at the local community college (took the same class 4 times) for a non-grade. It wasn't that expensive AND I had 1 year access to their fully stocked darkroom. No need to maintain my own chemicals or even worry about cleaning up. It was well worth it. After a while, the professor was treating me like an assistant of sorts. I enjoyed teaching the basics too. Especially to those students who have just discovered photography but found the present day digital aspect to be confusing. Sadly, the community college was in the process of revamping the class to be 1/2 digital.... I guess it was a matter of time.

It was also did printing on ink jet. I still have my ol' Epson 2200 at home that does see some use. The wide variety of paper was very cool. In some cases, printing my own enlargements took almost just as much time as printing in a wet darkroom. After a while, I started sending my prints out to MPIX. I've been happy with the service. Just make sure you have your monitor properly calibrated.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    After frustration with my Epson 2200, I sold it and stopped printing for a few years. About 2 years ago, I bought an Epson 3880 (17") and have been delighted with the ease of getting a good print. I too am limited by wall space, but have adopted a "rotating gallery" approach to swapping out prints a few times a year.

I totally agree about the need to actually print the images- having them on the computer/tablet/phone just doesn't do it for me.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. nueces snapper

I always liked this one. Shot with 4 x 5 Velvia I think. The scan was 650MB and cost me $125. :eek:

Looks kinda muddy here. At nearly five ft wide you could see the individual heads of oates and was much brighter and crisper.
    • Like Like x 1