I was going to Trash Oly 40-150

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by MrDoug, Nov 17, 2011.

1. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    I need to know if this is a good shot with 40-150 at 150mm=300mm with EP3 or am I just wishing it was? it has been enlarged/cropped 100%... LOL.. this is a very Cheap flimsy Lens.. but sometimes I think it is good..more often than not. I need your unbiased and no BS opinions. you can't hurt my feelings.:smile
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/67885296@N02/6356457237/" title="PB090415 by MrDoug1, on Flickr"> 6356457237_36648a62d4_z. "640" height="480" alt="PB090415"></a>
  2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    What does it matter what WE think?

My guess is, if you have to ask, you aren't happy with it.

Looks pretty sharp to me
  3. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    I'm very happy with it, and thanks TC.. I just wanted to get some outside opinions of it outside of my head... :)
  4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Composition is good. I think the processing is a bit overdone to my taste - less contrast and saturation would be my suggestion.

You can't really tell if a lens is good for an image of this size, but on the whole the 40-150 is pretty good. The main difficulty is getting a fast enough shutter speed to freeze subject or camera motion. Good light or high ISO will take care of that though.

• Like Like x 1
  5. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    If that is a 100% crop ... I say dang ... that is a pretty sweet lens. The problem being that due to the low resolution of the internet ... what we see is different than what you you see on your monitor or in a print.

6. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Looks pretty sharp to me, too!

Look at the lens another way: the lens is cheap (in terms of price), it is lightweight, focus pretty fast on your E-P3, and produce pretty sharp photos. That's a keeper in my book...
  7. WJW59

WJW59 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2011
    I don't know if it is the original image, the PP, or my monitor but it looks a bit odd to me. I would almost say it looks oversharpened. I know the 150 can do OK. I've posted some images here that were all taken with the 40-150 @ 150mm, most wide open, and all with an E-PL2. The ren fair stuff is all straight from the camera jpegs, bright overcast day, and it was a bit dusty from the dry weather and wind. The zoo pics are Aperture conversion from ORF to JPG on the basic import setting with no adjustments. The lizard was also taken through some rather thick glass
  8. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    I think the image has been over-sharpened. I know, because I do it all the time myself:wink:
    The lens is a keeper and the shot is a keeper.
  9. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Doug, what did you pay for your lens? At the 150 dollar asking price, sure, its a little cheap feeling. It doesn't quite have the feel the 4/3 version has. But it focuses fast and at f6.3 or slower, it's damn sharp. I love mine.
  10. CCRoo

CCRoo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2011
    I paid $300! Nice photo, and the lens is sharp like that for sure. I think the colors really pop. I like holding the camera by the lens, it's an ample grip. It feels cheap and crazy light, but it's a nice clean design. It is far too slow tho, and a daylight lens only.

This is one of my favorites with this lens, although it focus is a bit off.

11. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I think that the 40-150mm is a pretty solid lens. I think it's seriously overpriced at $300, but $150-$200 is reasonable for what you get. I got mine during the great clearance, and I'm happy with it. I wish it had at least a hood, and preferably a pouch included for $200 too, but oh well. The image quality is there. I disagree with Djarum about the build quality being too low for $150. It feels exactly like a $150 lens should, which is why the $250+ price of a new one seems absurd. Image quality is respectable; if I was still doing paid work today, I could see situations where I could stand behind the IQ of this lens.

I agree with the other posters that your heavy over-processing of the image makes it look unnatural; it's not the direction that I would have taken with it. Note that your photo is a 0.31 megapixel image, so if you aren't getting enough reach with your lens, consider getting a 100-300mm Panasonic instead of cropping so heavily. Although, I just took a quick test shot of a lawn chair outside. These are both shot in RAW, completely unedited except that the original was resized, so as not to be obnoxious. First is my photo, the second is a 100% crop from the nearer horn.
    Seeing the photo, I wish I would have focused on the Longhorn's face. :frown: Maybe I'll go take a tripod and make a proper photo of this, I think it looks kind of cool in hindsight. I also noticed that I had to make a choice whether to underexpose most of the detail of the orange and heighten it later, or to blow out the white stitching's detail, but that's a function of my poor G2's dynamic range, not the lens.

So yeah, I think that for a lens with more than 3x zoom, I got my $150 worth!
    • Like Like x 1
  12. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    It really is a pretty capable lens.

This dragonfly was not happy with me trying to get her picture. Having a light lens with a long reach let me do a bit of chasing around without feeling like giving up too soon.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    I paid $209 and not regretting it at all.. very nice.. I love it..DAMN sharp for sure..
    • Like Like x 1
  14. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    another shot with Oly EP-3/40-150

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/67885296@N02/6306795716/" title="Newport, Oregon by MrDoug1, on Flickr"> 6306795716_354c158b8b_z. "640" height="480" alt="Newport, Oregon"></a>
    • Like Like x 1
  15. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Do not even for a moment think of trashing the 40-150 - it's an underrated gem of a lens :wink: