I wanted to return my 12-40 2.8 lens

Thai-Mike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Michael
I wanted to return my 12-40 2.8 lens after using it for one day. Some images turned out quite good when I used objects far away. When I got closer to subject the images didn't come out as sharp as I remebered back to my EM10 ii and EM 5 ii days.

I first thought the camera works not fine. But with my M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 40-150mm F4.0-5.6 R the images came out stunningly superb.

I tried to step down to 5.6 even to to f16 on my 12-40 2.8 pro. Just where I focused the images were sharp (few millimeters around the focus-point) I tried different settings and so on. With just frustrating results. Than I came across this thread here in this Forum: So you want to update your Olympus but are nervous? Try this... because I checked the firmware and it was 1.0. My internet in Thailand is at that Pandamic time not that stable so I searched for an alternative. I updated the Firmware to Version 1.4. Took me just 2 minutes using Ligfhtsnow. Turned on the camera and tested the 12-40 2.8 pro. Wow, the images came out exactly I remembered back my Olympus days.

But during my night sleep time I couldn't get a quite fine sleep. So this morning today, an half hour ago, I tried some shots handheld in dim light conditions. One of that snaps was the fountain. Exposure time 1.3 sec.

See the results:

handheld-1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

handheld-2.jpg

handheld-3.jpg

SpecFoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim
While I am really a prime guy, in that most of my lenses are primes, for my trips to Thailand with my lovely Thai wife of 18 years, I have taken the excellent 12-40 f2.8 Pro since I got iinto M4/3 in 2013. By a far margin it is the most used lens for my photography in Thailand because the lens is very sharp across the field, the F/L range is great, the colors it produces are just wonderful and it is weather resistant, which is very important with the almost daily showers in some areas. The 17mm f1.8 and 40-150 f2.8 Pro are tied for 2nd with about 2/3 less photos each. Prior to 2013 I shot Nikon gear in Thailand and had the very good Nikkor 24-70 f2.8, it was a monster compared to the 12-40 Pro and almost double in price. But after seeing what the 12-40 Pro could do I sold the Nikon zoom back in 2014.

Glad you got yours to work to your liking. Here are a few with the 12-40 f2.8 Pro taken with either the EM5MkII or EM1, so all at 16MP.

_5080443.jpg

_5120089.jpg

_5070325.jpg

Quick grab shot taken from a moving fishermans boat
_5230681-Edit.jpg

_EM12818-Edit.jpg
_5170419-Edit.jpg

_E281864-Edit.jpg

Last edited:

Sawdust

MU-43 Tourist
Real Name
Carroll
I wanted to return my 12-40 2.8 lens after using it for one day. Some images turned out quite good when I used objects far away. When I got closer to subject the images didn't come out as sharp as I remebered back to my EM10 ii and EM 5 ii days.

I first thought the camera works not fine. But with my M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 40-150mm F4.0-5.6 R the images came out stunningly superb.

I tried to step down to 5.6 even to to f16 on my 12-40 2.8 pro. Just where I focused the images were sharp (few millimeters around the focus-point) I tried different settings and so on. With just frustrating results. Than I came across this thread here in this Forum: So you want to update your Olympus but are nervous? Try this... because I checked the firmware and it was 1.0. My internet in Thailand is at that Pandamic time not that stable so I searched for an alternative. I updated the Firmware to Version 1.4. Took me just 2 minutes using Ligfhtsnow. Turned on the camera and tested the 12-40 2.8 pro. Wow, the images came out exactly I remembered back my Olympus days.

But during my night sleep time I couldn't get a quite fine sleep. So this morning today, an half hour ago, I tried some shots handheld in dim light conditions. One of that snaps was the fountain. Exposure time 1.3 sec.

See the results:

View attachment 894375

View attachment 894376

View attachment 894377

Wow, Michael! Those are excellent images...nice and sharp. I just checked my 12-40, and it is on 1.3...so I will update it today. Appreciate the post.
Images in posts after this one are great! Looks like you are giving your Nikon a rest break. lol
Carroll

Thai-Mike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Michael
Wow, Michael! Those are excellent images...nice and sharp. I just checked my 12-40, and it is on 1.3...so I will update it today. Appreciate the post.
Images in posts after this one are great! Looks like you are giving your Nikon a rest break. lol
Carroll
Honestly, the Nikon z50 is a great camera, bur we have to close our business for so long time because of Covid-19, we lost last year more than 30000 US$ this year alreday 22000 US$. Therfrore to buy to buy a Nikon NIKKOR Z 24-70mm F/2.8 S (Z Mount) is just too expensive this time.It is more than 2 times than the Olympus 12-40 2.8 pro. So the decision to go back to m4/3 was just more an economical one. Why Olympus, cos I know the system and how it fits to my style. Other brand I tested but couln'd get warm with it. It does not mean they are not superb cameras, just doesn't fit to me.

Sawdust

MU-43 Tourist
Real Name
Carroll
Honestly, the Nikon z50 is a great camera, bur we have to close our business for so long time because of Covid-19, we lost last year more than 30000 US$ this year alreday 22000 US$. Therfrore to buy to buy a Nikon NIKKOR Z 24-70mm F/2.8 S (Z Mount) is just too expensive this time.It is more than 2 times than the Olympus 12-40 2.8 pro. So the decision to go back to m4/3 was just more an economical one. Why Olympus, cos I know the system and how it fits to my style. Other brand I tested but couln'd get warm with it. It does not mean they are not superb cameras, just doesn't fit to me.

Wow, Michael! I am sorry to hear about the losses in your business. Perhaps things will get better, I sure hope so. I know you work very hard to take care of your wonderful family. I will remember you in my prayers.

I have seen some of your z50 images, and they were excellent. However, with your talent and experience, I am sure you would do well with about any system. Your Olympus images do not disappoint, as always, excellent composition and interesting subject matter always great.

Looking forward to more of your images.

Latest threads

Top Bottom