I want to learn LightRoom 5

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by HaViet, Mar 31, 2014.

1. HaViet

HaViet Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Hi guys, I am completely new to photography and like to learn how to use LR5. I like to learn how to make my poor looking photos a bit nicer with basic corrections such as sharpness, exposure, etc.

Could you suggest books and/or online resources that would get me started?

Thanks much!

2. HaViet

HaViet Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Hartford, CT
  3. HaViet

HaViet Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Stupid question. After watching the video, I renamed my folder structures and now all my links are broken.

How do I update/refresh my catalog? Or should I just delete and create a new catalog?

4. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    www.lynda.com

search for 'lightroom'.

You'll be busy for, oh, quite a long while.

5. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Go to the top of your folder structure, right click, then click synchronise ...

6. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Did you make changes using Windows File Explorer or Lightroom? You can move folders around in the Lightroom Library module and it will make the changes in your hard drive file/directory structure, but LR will be aware of the changes and you won't have sync issues. :smile:

7. HaViet

HaViet Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    I made the changes in Windows Explorer.

Thanks, my catalog is now updated.

8. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Books: Martin Evening's "The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Book" and Jeff Schewe's "The Digital Negative".

Video: The Luminous Landscape Lightroom intro and advanced video package. You have to buy them, it's not free, and they get a bit chatty at times but there's a hell of a lot of useful information buried in them.

9. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I suggest that you play around with LR for a while before settling down to create a more permanent catalog. LR is not an intuitive program, and it is easy to get off track quite quickly. Also, I recommend that you consider join up at Lightroom Forums: http://www.lightroomforums.net/forum.php . Victoria, aka The Lightroom Queen is the owner, and the forum is a nice friendly place that is geared to beginners. Be sure to read their Starter Kit if nothing else. It is very helpful.

Good luck,

--Ken

• Like Like x 2
  10. HaViet

HaViet Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Thanks, I will definitely sign up for the forum.

11. HaViet

HaViet Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Hartford, CT
  12. Rig Vader

Rig Vader Mu-43 Regular

May 24, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  13. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    • Like Like x 1
  14. MarkoPolo

MarkoPolo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2014
    Greeley, CO
    Mark Brown
    I also recommend George Jardine's video tutorials. Luminous Landscape is also good, but you have more "filler". Martin Evening books are your go to reference, I keep one for Lightroom and one for CS 6.

15. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    These are a great resource, and she presents information clearly. A good place to start if considering videos.

--Ken

16. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Julieanne Kost's videos are outstanding.

This B&H video really helped me streamline my workflow, even though I've been using LR since before v.1.0. It's about LR4 but is mostly applicable to LR5.
    http://youtu.be/VyYVvwCWVC0

• Like Like x 1
  17. davidedric

davidedric Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2013
    Cheshire, UK
    Dave
    I would also join the Lightroom Forums at www.lightroomforums.net, they are a friendly and helpful bunch over there.

I also recommend George Jardine's videos.

Dave

18. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    jeez, i just watched one single video and it was outstanding.

I watched numerous B&H videos, went through multiple books (including Kelbys'), but her videos are on point, clear, concise, step by step (without being too dull or repetitive).

E.g., even after numerous views of other videos, i could not get myself to familiarize with HSL options. http://tv.adobe.com/watch/getting-s...ghtroom-5/lightroom-5-create-stunning-images/ covers it and explains all the details.

Not saying other videos are not good, and they sure do cover a lot of things, it could be just my attention span limitations or that specific area.

Thanks for the link.