I want to get an E-PL1 but I know I shouldn't

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by chefpush, May 8, 2010.

1. chefpush

chefpush Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 20, 2010
    I've been thinking about E-PL1 for a while. I've already owned E-P1 and I like it a lot. However, as summer's approaching, I get annoyed by looking at LCD in the sun. I need a viewfinder. I look at this dilemma like this
    If I get an E-PL1,
    - I can have a viewfinder
    - Ergonomic is better for using manual focus lens. Also, with EVF, less handshake for OM 100mm 2.8.
    - remote flash trigger
    - lighter overall package
    - faster AF with My 20mm Pany (Is it?)

If I keep an E-P1,
    - It is very handsome camera. I feel very proud hanging it around my neck.
    - 3" LCD is nice.
    - better IS
    - I don't lose a few hundreds selling it to get E-PL1

gear lust is bad for your health. Any suggestion for me?
  2. pete_t

pete_t Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2010
    Gear lust is bad for your wealth but great for Olympus/Panasonic/etc. The cure is difficult and takes more will power than is needed to quit smoking. I'm cured of the latter but the former is still a severe infection.

My therapy involves going out and taking pictures - this will stop you looking at the glossy web sites and specs for a short while. But it also has the effect of proving that you NEED the next model as there are so many shots that you couldn't get without the new feature.

There's simply no cure, even the banks and credit card companies have yet to find a way of stopping the spread of the problem. Governments have also tried and failed (even that thing we currently have here in the UK :rolleyes:)

Hope you get well soon!
  3. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Wait a bit longer and the price for the E-PL1 may come down a bit more, or realize that you can have two Olympus cameras and not be considered a glutton.:biggrin:
  4. patrickm

patrickm New to Mu-43

May 10, 2010
    Does the E-P1 really have better IBIS than the E-PL1? I haven't heard about that before.
  5. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi chefpush, you seem to have a perfect grasp of the advantages of the E-PL1... so you can decide whether those advantages are worth the cost of switching.

The focus speed with the 20mm f1.7 is almost identical between the E-P1 (with latest firmware) and E-PL1.

Personally, if you're happy enough with your E-P1, I'd wait a while longer and see what's next for release by Olympus.

Patrick, I think that the EVF makes it possible to hold the camera against your eye socket - thereby making it a bit more steady to hold.

• Like Like x 1
  6. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Wait a bit longer or buy the EPL-1 and then wait for the new releases from Oly.

That's what I did.:smile:
    • Like Like x 1
  7. chefpush

chefpush Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 20, 2010
    And now E-P2 on amazon is $900 with EVF and 14-42mm
    If I get E-PL1 and EVF, it will cost $550+$260 = $810.

I tried my friend's G1. The EVF is huge and satisfactory. Probably I could get a used one.
  8. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    So, did you get a used one?

Bokeh Diem
  9. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    keep yor ep1 whatever you do , you will miss it.............. 2 is fine
  10. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Totally agree. I have an Epl-1 and looking for an Ep-1.

2 is better than 1.
  11. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

Oscar Wilde The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it ...
    • Like Like x 1