I want to get an E-PL1 but I know I shouldn't

chefpush

Mu-43 Rookie
I've been thinking about E-PL1 for a while. I've already owned E-P1 and I like it a lot. However, as summer's approaching, I get annoyed by looking at LCD in the sun. I need a viewfinder. I look at this dilemma like this
If I get an E-PL1,
- I can have a viewfinder
- Ergonomic is better for using manual focus lens. Also, with EVF, less handshake for OM 100mm 2.8.
- remote flash trigger
- lighter overall package
- faster AF with My 20mm Pany (Is it?)

If I keep an E-P1,
- It is very handsome camera. I feel very proud hanging it around my neck.
- 3" LCD is nice.
- better IS
- I don't lose a few hundreds selling it to get E-PL1

gear lust is bad for your health. Any suggestion for me?

pete_t

Mu-43 Regular
Gear lust is bad for your wealth but great for Olympus/Panasonic/etc. The cure is difficult and takes more will power than is needed to quit smoking. I'm cured of the latter but the former is still a severe infection.

My therapy involves going out and taking pictures - this will stop you looking at the glossy web sites and specs for a short while. But it also has the effect of proving that you NEED the next model as there are so many shots that you couldn't get without the new feature.

There's simply no cure, even the banks and credit card companies have yet to find a way of stopping the spread of the problem. Governments have also tried and failed (even that thing we currently have here in the UK :rolleyes:)

Hope you get well soon!

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
Hi chefpush, you seem to have a perfect grasp of the advantages of the E-PL1... so you can decide whether those advantages are worth the cost of switching.

The focus speed with the 20mm f1.7 is almost identical between the E-P1 (with latest firmware) and E-PL1.

Personally, if you're happy enough with your E-P1, I'd wait a while longer and see what's next for release by Olympus.

Patrick, I think that the EVF makes it possible to hold the camera against your eye socket - thereby making it a bit more steady to hold.

Cheers

Brian

chefpush

Mu-43 Rookie
And now E-P2 on amazon is $900 with EVF and 14-42mm
If I get E-PL1 and EVF, it will cost $550+$260 = $810.

I tried my friend's G1. The EVF is huge and satisfactory. Probably I could get a used one.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom