1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I want to enter a contest and I need your advice

Discussion in 'Nature' started by gardengirl13, Nov 6, 2012.

1. gardengirl13

gardengirl13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 26, 2012
    US
    I don't know if I can post this or not, but I'm thinking of entering a photo contest with my garden photos. I have about 20 of them I need narrowed down to 4. If you have the time, could you guys please take a look and let me know what you think?

Kristin Troost Hall Photography: Photo Contest- I Need Your Help!!!

I'm thinking of doing some nature ones too, but I can only enter 1 category per fee, I'd have to do a second one, which I may do. I will add another post to my blog for the new category if I decide to do it. I'd have to go through all my landscape/woods type photos.

Thanks so much everyone! If this needs to be taken down due to the link let me know and I'll edit it and put the blog in my sig if that's allowed.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Christilou

Christilou Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 25, 2010
    Camberley, Surrey
    2, 4, 7 and 18 are the stand out ones for me :) Beautiful shots.

3. lubov

lubov Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 4, 2011
    2,3,4,18 for me.

4. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    OMG im SO glad you added 18! its AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!
    im so not usually into flower pics, but that flower has a story to tell! its not just a pretty flower with a beautiful bokeh/bouquet..., its so sad, and beaten down...
    i LOVE it!

i like 5 as well, nice n abstract feeling

and then 10 and 2 are both really good as well

but... 18... seriously... 18!... can i get an AMEN?! *hand in air, head down, both shakin to the SPIRIT OF 18!*

5. angusr

angusr Mu-43 Regular

Sep 21, 2011
    They're all nice, but 18 is special. Without a doubt the one I'd go for.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    18. period!

• Like Like x 1
  7. f64

f64 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2010
    For what it's worth I'll put in my 2 cents (and worth every penny :rolleyes:). Here's what I would select:

#2 - I think it's the strongest image.
    #4- But I would crop to remove the unbalanced space at the upper right. That would also move the subject from dead center.
    #18 - I would crop the right side to move the subject more off center.
    #19 - I would crop to isolate the two buds and open blossom, or tightly crop to isolate the single open blossom.

8. Nepherim

Nepherim Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2012
    NJ, USA
    VOTE: 18

• Like Like x 1
  9. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Definitely 18

• Like Like x 1
  10. gardengirl13

Jun 26, 2012
    US
    Thanks so much everyone!!!!

Slight problem though, I'm looking into the contest more and bugs/animals are a different category. So they're out. I don't want to disqualify myself. So the one with the little flying bugs that I call my fairies, the luna moth and the hummingbird moth are now out.

Personally as of now I'm thinking 5, 9, 10 and 18. But if you think others are stronger don't be shy!

18 is number 1 on my list right now.

• Like Like x 1
  11. North20

North20 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    East of the Cascades, PNW
    Pat
    That's quite a set; all of them are lovely images.

That said, 2, 3, 9, and 18, with 2 being my favorite. Seems like 18 is the big winner amongst the other posters, and I do really like it, but feel the rain and flower are vying for top billing. Maybe a slightly different crop. Either way, I'd be damned pleased had I taken it :wink:

12. moschika

moschika Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 19, 2012
    3,4,10, and yes, 18. but 18 could use a different crop, maybe take a little off the left. also I really like 4 a lot, but it too could use a slightly different crop to take the moth out of dead center, also maybe a bit more PP - it looks a little flat imo.

13. PatrickVA

PatrickVA Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 31, 2012
    Central Virginia
    I like 18 as is - it's the competition between rain and flower that sells it for me. It's part defiance, part cleansing. It reminds me of the [ame="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111161/"]The Shawshank Redemption (1994) - IMDb@@AMEPARAM@@http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTM2NjEyNzk2OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjcxNjUyMQ@@._V1._SX93_SY140_.jpg@@AMEPARAM@@BMTM2NjEyNzk2OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjcxNjUyMQ@@@@AMEPARAM@@SX93@@AMEPARAM@@SY140[/ame] poster.

14. romzL

romzL Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2012
    romz
    2, 7, 10 and of course, 18! :)

15. gardengirl13

Jun 26, 2012
    US
    I may have to change 5 for 2 since everyone seems to like that one. So the votes are for 18 on top then 2 for second. I'm still thinking 9 and 10. I've always liked both those images. I think the lily with that great grey background is one of my favorite images from this past summer. But it isn't to popular. Is it not as strong as I think it is?

16. North20

North20 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    East of the Cascades, PNW
    Pat

I'm certainly a fan of 9. Of the photos that you've stated you can enter it's my 2nd favorite, just behind number 2. While I hesitate to say any of your photos are weak, imho 10 is one of the weakest of the set as a whole.

One thing to keep in mind is that the judges of most photo contests already have something in mind before they even see any entries. Unless you have some idea of what that may be, a lot is left to luck when making image choices. I think most of us have seen the winning entries of any number of photo contests, and are left scratching our heads and silently asking "This is a winning photograph?"

Perhaps just going with what works for you, appeals to both your artistic intuition and your sense of logic, may be the best course.

Again, they are all very beautiful photographs that you can certainly be proud of. And I'd guess that even should you not win, a few of these could easily stand next to whatever wins and not pale in comparison.

Good luck! :thumbup:

• Like Like x 2
  17. SeeingtheWorldat25mm

SeeingtheWorldat25mm Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 28, 2012
    Japan
    Tom
    2, 5, 9, 18

I like 12, just because it's a very curious insect - reminds me of a kite!:smile:
    Good luck!:thumbup:

18. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    I happen to hate photos of flowers with something of a passion so you are probably not interested in my advice.

18 is a simply awesome photo though and well deserving of any photo prize.

19. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    Very fine set. 18 would definitely be my top choice as well. Thanks for sharing.

20. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    18 is very special. Actually I really like 5, 14, 19. These are a little unusual and I think may therefore reflect your sensibilities nicely.

Beautiful set overall. Good luck, and thanks for posting.

woof!

• Like Like x 1