1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I want to clone my laptop HD to a bigger drive - Any tips?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jonathan F/2, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have a large capacity HD I'd like to replace my current HD with. I don't feel like doing a fresh install. Is there anyway I can just clone my current HD to the new drive? I have a Macbook Pro. I also bought a SATA/IDE to USB adapter if that helps. After I clone the drive, I'd like to remove my current HD from the laptop and then place it into the laptop. The hardware aspect is not a problem, it's just the cloning I'd like advice on. Thanks!

2. kchau

kchau Mu-43 Regular

Aug 2, 2012
    Seattle
    easiest way is to make a usb drive/dvd of the osx installer.

backup everything into time machine

install new hard drive

boot from osx installer

restore from time machine

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    SuperDuper works great and has a free mode. Make sure to format your new drive first in Disk Utility, and if it's not formatted for Mac originally, make sure that you select GPT under 'Options' in the partition tab.

Once you've cloned the drive with SD, you can just swap them out.

4. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
  5. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    On a mac it's trivial to clone a drive. You don't need any 3rd party utilities. Just use the built in Disk Utility. Restore the new drive using your old drive as the source. Makes a perfect copy.

6. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks, I'll give that a try!

7. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    There's also some merit to reinstalling OSX clean, then restoring things from your Time Machine backup... they retain things much better through upgrades than Windows :)
    (but a bit slower)

8. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I was thinking about that, but I have so many apps and other stuff, it'd probably take me weeks to get my computer to where I want it to be!

9. jime

jime Mu-43 Regular

Sep 3, 2012
    Jonestown Texas
    I have used SuperDuper free version several times and it works perfect. I back up my hard drive to an external USB drive then put the new drive in my computer. Then attach the external copy and boot up off of it. Use SuperDuper to then copy to your new drive, then boot up off your new drive and you are done. I usually buy an external case for my old mac drive and use it as an extra backup drive. I keep a full backup copy of my mac at my girlfriends house and swap it iut a couple of times a month. Just need to remember to get it first if we ever break up!

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

10. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    Rick
  11. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    What OS are you running? Prior to Lion, I cloned many drives with few to no issues using many of the methods above. I never had Lion, but I'm struggling a bit with Mountain Lion, and from what I read, ML really likes a clean install. So, if you are running ML, I'd vote clean install with a Time Machine restore.

12. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    On OSX, all your apps' preferences and data reside on your user directory and that directory gets cloned on the Time Machine backup. You shouldn't have to reconfigure the apps/settings through this method either.

But yeah, if you're not changing your system's config (using the same machine) then cloning would be faster and guarantees 100% no changes :)

13. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    Another vote for Carbon Copy Cloner. I use Time Machine, and CCC for everything else. I have recently done a laptop disk swap for an SSD using CCC with zero issues.

14. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Carbon Copy Cloner for drive upgrades, Time Machine for backups here.

Although occasionally it's fun to simply re-install everything on a clean install.

15. tuanies

tuanies Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 13, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Tuan Huynh
    If you're running Mountain Lion, the cloning utilities usually do not copy the hidden partition that OSX relies on for Find my Mac, so TimeMachine backup + fresh install would be your best bet if you want to retain Find My Mac usage, assuming you're on Lion / Mountain Lion.

16. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Carbon Copy Cloner should simply be doing a sector-by-sector clone, 1:1. Hidden or not.

17. jime

jime Mu-43 Regular

Sep 3, 2012
    Jonestown Texas
    For Mac OS I use and recommend Super Duper. They have a free copy you can download.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App