I want to buy lenses, but...

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by BAXTING, Nov 2, 2012.

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    I'm torn and not sure if I should be.

I currently have:

GX-1, EP-2, 45mm f/1.8, 20mm f/1.7

Im drooling over the new 60mm f/2.8 macro lens and the 75mm f/1.8. I'm interested in getting at the very least the macro lens, but will I run into issues if I continue to use panasonic bodies? I'd like to upgrade my bodies eventually, but should my lens selection determine my future body selection?

I have uses for all focal lengths and I really like the primes vs the zooms. Does OIS/IBIS only become an issue with low shutter speeds. I'm worried with the longer focal lengths :eek: but not sure if I should be.
  2. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Well, there are no prime lens alternatives with OIS for 60mm f/2.8 macro and 75mm f/1.8, so if you need that focal length and speed, get one of those. In my opinion IS is the least important feature in a lens in our system because you can always choose Oly body if that becomes necessary. I believe your only fast zoom alternative with OIS would be 35-100 2.8 and that is 1500$, and you would still lose over 1 stop of light or macro capability. As a rule of thumb you need 1/120 sec shutter speed for non IS 60mm lens and 1/150 for the 75mm.
  3. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    The 45/2.8 is a phenomenal macro lens, is much more compact than the 60 and has OIS.

x2 on OIS being the least important factor (at least in these focal lengths). Practically all of the iconic photographs ever taken were without image stabilization.
  4. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    so you are recommending film?
  5. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    But I can imagine that those photographers likely used tripods which for me goes against the portability advantage of micro four thirds. OM-D rocks because it allows for 1-2 second handheld sharp photographs, perfect for night shots. :biggrin:
    • Like Like x 1
  6. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Pretty much. The rule of thumb is that without IS you should shoot at shutter speeds no lower than the 35mm equivalent focal length. So with the 75mm, at speeds of 1/150th or faster you don't really need IS. Of course, this is a rule of thumb, and each photographer is different. When I was younger, I could routinely shoot at least 1 increment slower than that, and even slower if I could brace myself against a door frame, tree, etc. You might be more or less steady than the "standard" photographer.

Conversely, this rule of thumb was derived for cameras with eye level viewfinders. If you're composing with the camera held out in front of you, using the LCD, you're going to be less steady, and higher shutter speeds (or IS) become necessary.

I think the point was that IS isn't necessary to take sharp, high quality photos. For that matter, neither is digital. IS is a tool and an aid, but not a necessity. If you don't shoot in dim light, it may actually be a detriment. There have been tests (primarily on Nikon, but I suspect they're applicable to most IS systems) that indicate at higher shutter speeds you should turn IS off, because it actually reduces sharpness. And when Canon offered the 70-200 f/2.8 in both IS and non-IS versions, the non-IS version was slightly sharper, lacking the extra lens element(s) needed for IS.
  7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Either of those lenses will work just fine on a Panasonic body. In low light you may need a tripod or mono pod, but that was the case with all cameras before IS was developed. Somewhere down the road you may want to give an Olympus body a try, just for those situations - I usually carry at least two bodies then I don't need to swap lenses as often. Depending on the subject a tripod is a very useful tool for macro, anyway - the 60mm is a terrific lens. :cool:
  8. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Lighter body/lens allows for lighter tripod. I have no trouble taking mine on trips where I will have night shooting opportunities

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Thanks for the insight everyone.

It seems to me regardless of your lens/body setup "IS" should be looked at as a bonus to your shooting capabilities and not a limit of them.

I will keep my eye on a few lenses with that in mind and continue to move forward.

10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Those are all fairly fast lenses, and we now have much greater high-ISO capabilities than dreamt of in film. I don't see any issues or need for a tripod. If we could shoot our old film cameras using not much faster glass and considered ASA400 to be "low-light film" without having ever heard of IS, then why are we so worried about it now, when people are shooting ISO1600-6400 in low light?
    • Like Like x 1
  11. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    True, but the general public expects sharper images now, too, IMHO.
  12. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Because some of us are really old and can't hold as steady a hand as we could 45 years ago with ASA 25 slide film?

(Tongue firmly in cheek - but with a nod to reality, I really have a problem with holding a camera steady these days. Still, getting old does beat the only current alternative...)

13. jerrykur

jerrykur Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2012
    Northern CA
    I also find it amazing that people do not use tripods. IBIS is good, but even at it's best is 4 stops.
  14. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Yep, i would classify it as nice to have, not have to have.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App
    • Like Like x 1
  15. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Many situations make it hard to set up a tripod. I have used a monopod with some success, but it does make the whole package much bigger. It's not easy to use a tripod walking around Disneyworld in the evening.
    • Like Like x 1