I want stability of videos

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by skatemurai, Aug 29, 2016.

1. skatemurai

skatemurai New to Mu-43

Sep 13, 2012
    Hi folks, I own Panasonic G6 (without in-built stabilization), Nokton 17.5 mm (manual lenses without stabilization) and Flycam Nano DSLR. My videos are still quite shaky so I want more stabilized videos. What would you recommend to do in this situation? New lenses? Nokton was quite expensive already so I am not sure which way to go. I am thinking about Panasonic 12-35 mm lenses but would it help totally? Thanks for your advices! Tom

2. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    12_35 does work well. But for run & gun stuff a handheld stabilizer is needed. Shoulder rigs can work but small handheld stabilizers while expensive can be close to perfect. For other types of filming a tripod with fluid head is best.

3. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    I don't have one, but this technology looks very promising. Basically you'r trading cropping in post for what looks like rock solid stabilization.

SteadXP - The Future of Video Stabilization

4. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
  5. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    I'm assuming you mean the potential need for re-calibration when swapping lens and zooming?

6. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I use one of these for handhelp stuff, where the EM Mk II IBIS is not going to cut it or for smaller unstabilized cameras:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007P8AXWK/ref=od_aui_detailpages01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also have a dolly/slider tracking shots. Can;t remember the name of it right now, but it is awesome because it is adjustable to use on rails, 2x4, 2x10, so is very versatile. It can also be flipped upsidedown and used on the ground or table top if need be. I'll look up the name later and add to this.

7. skatemurai

skatemurai New to Mu-43

Sep 13, 2012
    I mentioned that I already own Flycam Nano DSLR but it is not still perfectly stabilized. I am looking for solution either in lenses or elsewhere.
    Example of my video:

8. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    One of the most impressive portable setups I've yet seen is from Chris Prouse. She uses a 3-axis gimbal, a GX85, and the new 12-60mm for Dual IS.

Obviously the Nokton is not readily compatible with a motorized gimbal, since you cannot manually focus it while it's in use...

• Like Like x 1
  9. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    The Flycam Nano DSLR is not really suitable for real run and gun. Try the DJI Ronin-M 3-Axis Handheld Gimbal Stabilize or something better.

10. skatemurai

skatemurai New to Mu-43

Sep 13, 2012
    That looks perfect but it is too expensive for me.

11. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    perfect stabilisation costs money, and even then , learning to drive the system still requires skill and practice.

I skimmed through some of your shots, and overall I thought you did a good job, you may just need to practice. Sadly the lighter weight of your camera negates some of the benefits of your rig, a passive system, which depend on mass and inertia to achieve the best results in smoothing out the camera movements.

I also thought i saw in some of your outdoor shots a certain jittery feel to some of the shots. This may be due to using too high of a shutter speed

check this out to understand a little more

How Shutter Speeds & Frame Rates Can Be Used to Change the Look & Feel of Your Film

cheers

K

12. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    The slider is called the Cinemover!
    Cinemover

13. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    The one thing about video is that it takes a lot of practice even with expensive tools. I find that the 12-35 shooting 1080P on the GX8 where I can use the software/lens IS is ok and I can clean it up in Mercalli 4.0 where it "works" but I am now tending to shoot in 4K with lens IS, use pan and crop for movement. If I have to walk (old, no run & gun for me:)), Mercalli Pro 4.0 does a good job of smoothing things out. How many hours do you have in learning your FlyCam? Over on DVX I think someone said is was only after 100 hours that he could get reasonable footage at a slow walking pace - again that lots of practice thing.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1