I want....pancakes!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Chrisnmn, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Hey guys, im not tired of repeating this, but one of the main reasons of why i love m43 is the ability of small sized tools (cameras, lenses, etc).

But lately ive been reading about all this zooms, big primes, mid tele lenses etc. But im feeling the "pancake" section which was one of the first things that caught my atenttion in m43. good regular/wide size in small size aka "pancakes".

do you guys know, if by photokina is there any chance of getting a "premium" prime lens ? a 17-20mm focal distance lens and size but as a good and fast as all the new, O12, O45, O75 (according to the review)?

Cause the P14 though i love its size and speed, the IQ its alright, from the 20mm i keep reading bunch of reviews saying that though being a good lens in terms of IQ its expensive to what it is, and is not better than a 50mm f1.8. And im getting rid of my ff 50mm f1.4 cause i think its not THAT good. not considering that every single human being says that the 20mm is slow to focus.
    Then the Olympus 17mm, no one seems to like it, and i havent seen any good stuff coming out of it in terms of IQ, and little reviews about it.

so the question is, is any olympus/panasonic "premium" pancake lens coming any time soon?
  2. jmw

jmw Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    The Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 doesn't count? It really pushes the boundaries of what you can get in a small package.

There is no free lunch in optical design. Everything involves a tradeoff between speed, sharpness, and ultimately size & weight. 100 years ago there was room for remarkable improvement when the first Tessar designs were f/6.3, but engineers have covered all the easy ground since then. Pancake lenses necessarily make compromises to produce an image with a small number of elements and groups in small form factor. The Olympus 45 and 75 are 9/8 and 10/9 on elements/groups. Pancake designs are usually 3-5 groups. Something's got to give under that constraint.
  3. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    There's a rumor of an Oly 25/1.8 with the same design & build & image quality of the 45/1.8.
  4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
  5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Shweeeeet!!! :biggrin:

6. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    yeah hopefully they will manage to make it as good as the 45 in the 17-ish pancake size? thatd be awesome!.:biggrin:
  7. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    now thats whats im talking about...i remember seeing one of DigitalRev episodes comparing all pancakes available at the time, and from the review and images shown Pentax were the best ones. Sadly i dont own a pentax to use em...
  8. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Of course that the P20 counts, and thats THE only option in terms of pancakes to get for your m43 camera. and thats most probably the one ill be getting for now, since it doesnt look like more pancakes are being developed....yet.
  9. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I love Pentax, but just have to mention that those pancakes do not have AF motors... would assume that saves some room. Also, most of them are not super fast.
  10. chlau

chlau Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2011
    Now if only Pentax will build some skinny bodies to go with them...(K-01? But, WHY?).
  11. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    But since they didn't even use the 20mm 1.7 lumix that episode was sort of useless.
  12. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Well as the owner of 14, 17, 20 and 14-42x, I like 14mm for simplicity and versatile with add on adapter (either UW or Fisheye), 17mm for street, 20mm for indoor, 14-42x for general outdoor

There was 40mm pancake rumor from Panasonic ages ago, dunno if it is going to be happening
  13. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Because the day it hit the shelves there were 30 lenses available for it.

• Like Like x 1