1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

I want Olympus to make an XA-D!

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by letsgocoyote, Feb 18, 2012.

1. letsgocoyote

letsgocoyote Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2011
    Maybe in many respects that is what the XZ-1 is supposed to be... BUT

I'd love to see Olympus remake the XA in digital form. They have revived the Pen and OM lines in a digital format, so why not the XA?

Sometimes, when people think up dream cameras, they can be a bit unrealistic. But what I'd like to see, which I think is realistic, is:

-XA style camera body with the sliding capsule front
    -a wheel under the lens (where the focus lever is on the XA) for a focus by wire mechanism
    -an appropriately sized LCD screen
    -retain the simple optical viewfinder. ideally thered maybe be a couple bits of information in the viewfinder like a focus confirm light. nothing to crazy to keep it simple and inexpensive
    -forego the originals proprietary flash. replace the area once occupied by the film rewind lever with a standard Olympus dedicated hot shoe. Include the accessory port, and include the same clip on flash from the E-PL3/E-PM1. This would also allow the use of the EVF units or SEMA-1.
    -Change the film advance dial into a simple control dial
    -A simplistic array of buttons/controls, but include Super Control Panel menu
    -m4/3 size sensor
    -17 or 18mm f2.8 lens

What do you guys think?

A pipe dream addition would be to make the lens a 17-35mm/f2.8 or f3.5

2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    EPM-1 with the 17 is already pretty close to this.

Gordon

3. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    but kinda missing the clamshell throw it in a pocket vibe

K

4. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    Wasnt every digital p&s a few years ago a clamshell?

5. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    yeah..maybe... but they didnt have a supersharp lens and a largish sensor and a super simple interface

an XA-D with a 4/3 sensor for sub 300 dollars might be an interesting product.... just keep it simple

K

6. letsgocoyote

Nov 25, 2011
    Which is exactly why I have that exact setup ;)

But still, with the retro vibe of the olympus and fujifilm cameras becoming the new thing, and the nostalgia people hold for the XA, i think it could be a promising idea.

7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    An XA-D or possibly a Stylus Epic.

8. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Not a clamshell, but I think the Canon S95 / s100 are pretty close in spirit, size and usability. I don't think you'll never get a 4/3 sensor and lens in a package as small as the XA. (I still have my XA, btw, although I can't remember the last time it had film in it.)

9. letsgocoyote

Nov 25, 2011
    i think they could do it if they wanted too. the depth of an XA is about 1.6" and the depth of an E-PM1 is about 2.2"

its not a huge difference. i think it would be cool from a design standpoint to have a pretty faithful recreation of the XA in digital form.

10. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

From an imaging standpoint, you have the high end point and shoots; ZX1, LX5, S100, etc.

From a nostalgic standpoint, the 80s look and feel really doesn't connect with people right now. I was alive during that time and I found the switch from metal ,chrome, brass, dials, mechanical buttons etc, to boxy plastic things with buttons was more of a design cue that mimicked computers (and cheaper manufacturing). To give the customer a notion of technologic advancement and value. As we know, computers weren't exactly the most exciting things to look at. Nothing wrong with that... they reflect the time period much like the american products that all looked like rockets during the times of great interest in space travel. With a few exceptions, cars are the same way. Designs prior to the 70s were gorgeous and things really just got lost in the 80s....

If you look at much the retro in cameras in recent years, they are all mimicking the time period when cameras were really making it into the hands of the typical consumer. The 50s and 60s. These two decades set the "tone" for decades to come. These are the decades that gave us the first SLR (Asahiflex), first pentaprism SLR (Contax IIRC), defined our current "rangefinder-look" (Leica M3), and the Olympus Pen half frame. Even the later 70s cameras all still had similar design cues.

Maybe.. just maybe in 10 years we'll see 80s retro camera... after all, styles and designs are often recycled with great success. I am curious if/when it happens when specific design cues from the 80s will be reused to set a product apart from the rest. I truly hope they don't do away with dials like they did on my fathers Minolta 7000.

PS> There were a few earlier Olympus Digital compacts that looked kinda like an Stylus epic... C-2? I'd like to see a digital Nikon 35Ti in digital form (its retro for its time) and very attractive. On another note: How many fixed lens, non-zoom compacts have been "truly" successful in recent years?

• Like Like x 1
  11. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    I guess what i was trying to say was: the general public associates the clam shell design with many p&s film cameras from the nineties, and digital p&s from the last decade.

I had to google image the xa-d to be reminded of its looks. I reckon with the lack of destinction, there wont be a big market for the "iconic" design.

^ i share the same sentiment as the gentleman above me.: "Usayit" said it just about right.