1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I want it .......but do I need it?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by woollyback, Jan 8, 2016.

1. woollyback

woollyback Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2015
    Rob
    Hello folks,

Been shooting with my new M1 and 12-40 and even though weather has pants and not been able to get outside its looking good so far.

I have been viewing images of the f1.8 primes and discounted the 17, 25, 45 as they were covered within the12-40range albeit atf2.8

Now the 75 is a different issue.... I want it but do I need it? Cash back on offer too

Alternatives at some point are the 40-150 pro or the Panasonic 100-400 which would give more flexibility for shooting different things

Any thoughts yes or no

Rob

2. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    What do you like to shoot? Are you after something smaller size? Better low light? Portraits? Sports? Wildlife, birds? The 75mm is not a bad next lens after the 12-40mm, but really depends on what you shoot

3. Kuhander

Kuhander New to Mu-43

Jan 8, 2016
    I've been thinking the exact same thing for two days now ...

Is it worth it? How often will I use it? Only one way to find out ...

4. dweller

dweller Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 14, 2012
    London, UK
    You could pick up a cheap Oly 40-150 or Pan 45-150 to see whether you enjoy shooting in that range before
    you spend more on the more expensive lens/es.

5. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    I would get it. Look for an upcoming sale on the Oly refurbished site. Currently $559. They drop below 500 when on sale. I purchased a refurb from them and it was perfect. This thing is a nice addition to the 12-40 (or 12-35 in my case). When you are in a position where this focal length works, this lens is worth the money.

6. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    Sounds like GAS to me. You need to know what you want a lens for to buy one. Lens lineups are not there so that you can fill any potential whole. Unless of course you have a lot of money to burn. Then you should buy the 75mm as it is by all accounts a fantastic lens.

7. Generationfourth

Generationfourth Mu-43 Regular

Sep 11, 2015
    Why not the Panasonic 35-100 f/2.8?

I feel similar to you in that the 12-35 solved a lot of my prime needs. For me the 35-100 tamed my lust for that 75 1.8.

8. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Do you shoot in low light often, do you want to maximize background blur, are you intending to shoot a lot of portraits? Anything specific?

9. woollyback

woollyback Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2015
    Rob
    I will eventually get the 40-150 I'm pretty sure of that

I don't have any specific style of shooting but have seen some fab images that draw my attention

The 75mm focal length suits me for some cycling and aviation stuff but am sure other lenses add a bit more flexibility

It's just one of those itches that won't seem to go away logic reasoning or not

Rob

• Like Like x 1
  10. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Buy it used, shoot for a while, sell if it doesn't work for you. You won't be out much cash. It is a great lens. I've owned it and sold it twice, because I just don't get enough use from it. I'm still tempted to buy it again.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    If you do any kind of portraits at all and need a portrait focal length, this is one of the best lenses out there for any system. I got one not too long ago and wished that I had purchased it sooner.

12. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    There's more to it than just the mid-tele focal length. This category offers the speed for low light event shooting, and also the DOF isolation possible at large apertures. For years, I've done that with an inexpensive Canon FD 85mm f1.8, and later added a cheap focal reducer for an equivalent 60mm f1.4. Nice for portraits and some event shooting. The Rokinon 85mm f1.4 is also good for this, but it's heavier than then the FD, so I have to really want to use it if I take it out.

I have accumulated a lot of M43 gear over 5+ years, but I've never been interested in expensive lenses. The 75mm was in that category. I didn't want it, but when the price got down to around $450, it became attractive. I also grabbed a refurbished 75mm on sale. Quite a nice lens. Its sharpness really accentuates scenes with narrow DOF. Smaller than the FD, and autofocus too. Happy with it.

The 75 is still a specialized lens. Maybe try the kit 40-150 if you can get it for $100, which is like the sales tax on a 40-150 PR0?. That will tell you if you will use the longer lengths, and whether you want to put bigger bucks into the hobby.

13. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    If you're asking, then you don't need it. If you have the cash you can get it just because you want it.

Fred

14. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    The 75mm to me isn't a specialty lens. I'm surprised how much I use it. I was really considering the 40-150mm f2.8, rented it and loved the pics, but I just cant travel with it due to it's size. The 40-150 pro does have better AF. I've had the 75mm from day one with m43 for the purpose of traveling. I get animals, portraits, landscapes, school events and all sorts with it. My first two lenses were the 12-40 and the 75mm and they would be my last two as well.

15. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Yea - just get it. YOLO and you can always sell it on if you don't gell with it.