I want Fuji's prime lenses!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by tkbslc, Dec 29, 2015.

1. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

While I like the great f1.7 and f1.8 primes we have, I'm growing more and more jealous of Fuji's f1.4 and f1.2 options. We do have a 25mm f1.4, so not much reason to be jealous of the 35mm f1.4. But that 56mm f1.2 is WAY cheaper than the 42.5mm f1.2 while giving nearly a full stop more portrait isolation at the same EFL!

And then there's the 16mm f1.4 and 23mm f1.4 at 24mm and 35mm equivalent. I am majorly drooling over 1.5+ stops more DOF control at wider angles.

And then of course they all have aperture rings.....

So why don't I switch? Well.......

I want m4/3 camera bodies!

Here's hoping those rumors of the f1.0 primes are true and they come in at a more reasonable cost than the Leica f1.2! :)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    I don't own either lens... but I don't see a huge amount of difference between the Fuji and Pana-Leica. You really have to nick pick to find differences. And the people that did tend to favor the Nocticron.
    You are also ignoring the Voigtlanders all at f0.95 with aperture rings.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    While I do have, and love the 42.5/1.2, I am slightly jealous of the 56/1.2, being smaller, lighter, and cheaper, in addition to allowing more DOF control.

I am majorly jealous of the 16/1.4 and 23/1.4, if only Fuji had IBIS I would consider picking up a body and some of their primes.
  4. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    I honestly think that some of this gesr lusdt is way overrated. While there are some great pluses in the Fuji system, it really is not all that, and it is not demonstrably better than m43 in any way. It is different, not better in practicle use.

I know, I've been there... left Fuji to go back to Nikon... Then eventually made my way to m43.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  5. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    TBH, it is very tempting to give it a try, particularly with the earlier XE and X-Pro 1 being relatively cheap right now. Those Fuji lenses are lovely, particularly the 56mm, 24mm and both 35mm lenses. But I just cant help feeling that it would be a sideways move if you're already invested in m43 and have the means to get the images you want (particularly if, like me, you're used to instant shots through the touch screen focus which my E-P5 has). Having said all that, if it were now that I were looking to start investing in a compact camera system instead of 3 years ago, I may well be swinging towards Fuji. It's a different way of shooting but I'd be up for it. I just wish I had a family member who was interested in photography like I am who I could persuade to get one.
  6. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    I just want a weather-sealed normal-ish small prime like the new Fuji 35mm :)
  7. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    You guys don't have to wait - this adapter and about $3500 bucks and you got all of the Fiji f/1.2 & 1.4 lenses to shoot on your m4/3s! :)

Happy shooting!
    • Funny Funny x 3
  8. tkbslc

Like I said, I just want the lenses. I don't really like the bodies and am unsure about the sensor.
  9. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Without in-body IS in Fuji, no IS for their prime lenses, I don't see IQ advantage over M43, maybe more DOF.
  10. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    sorry to be fussy Morris .... but surely you mean less or shallower depth of field

I am not a particular grammar fiend - but that is one of the ones that I see too often

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    You're right Kevin, sometimes I'm thinking of this and type the other, like speaking.
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  12. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Personally, I'm mostly happy with the mu43 primes - the only thing I'd like would be a 17 f1.0 or f1.2 (that does AF).
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. gryphon1911

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    I'm referring to the lenses as well. Just saying that the grass is not always greener on the other side from my personal experience.
  14. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I dunno. I agree the primes look good on paper. I tried Fuji 2 times. Maybe I didn't give it enough chance, but I never bonded with the bodies, and found the overall system (body + lenses) too big for what I got (what I got was the need for a new and custom workflow -- that might have been one of the real deal breakers).
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. tkbslc

I don't want their grass - I just want a 24 and 35mm equivalent f1.4 (or f1.2?) for our grass. If I thought the grass was greener, I'd not wish for m4/3 lenses like theirs, I'd just switch.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. tkbslc

You don't need IS for primes to get great IQ. Just ask most of the Panasonic users!

The "IQ advantage" I was drooling over is just that fact that in DOF equivalent terms, they have f2.1 primes at 24mm and 35mm equivalent and we have F4.0 and f3.6. That's a BIG difference for someone who likes a little wide angle DOF control.

Too bad my 15mm f1.7 wasn't a f1.4 at least. It was expensive enough that it should be!
  17. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    If you want to see a significant gain in shallow DOF get a FF body instead. You can probably get a Nikon D600 or D700 for around $600-800 used and you can access a plethora of lenses to get your shallow DOF fix. Either that or get a Lens Turbo/Speed Booster in the mount of your choice if you want to stick with only one system.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. tkbslc

Well I think people are getting a bit defensive like I am bashing m4/3. I just thought Fuji had some nice options when I happened to be browsing their site and feel that really fast (Auto) primes are still a bit lacking in our system. I still can't find a better mirrorless system than m4/3 or I'd be switching. But that doesn't mean there aren't bits and peices from other systems I'd like better.

I'm doing so on purpose. If I wanted to be stuck with manual focus, I'd probably shoot a Sony A7 with adapted primes. I just don't have the patience for it anymore, especially after getting used to the instantaneous and silent m4/3 AF.

There's not as many as you'd think. You have to spend a lot of money to get wider FF prime with shallower DOF than f1.4 on a 1.5x crop sensor.
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  19. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Get a Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 on a Speedbooster, it works out to a 13-25mm f1.2 (2.4 eq on FF).
    • Like Like x 1
  20. gryphon1911

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    I don't think that anyone is getting defensive. To be honest, this conversation has been had time and time and time again. The results are generally the same. Every system/lens/camera released is a performer. Oly is coming out with a bunch of f/1.2 primes and third party makers are putting out even faster lenses than that.

I feel that people spend too much time not mastering what they have and are to quick to jump from system to system looking for that holy grail.
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1