1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I want focus trapping in the e-m1

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Speedliner, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    That's it. I want focus trapping badly. Just wanted to get that off my chest.

I want it now!

2. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    That would be an awesome 4.0 firmware.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    I would think it would be easy for Olympus to accomplish, all they do is to set the Release Priority so that the shutter will not fire if the lens is not in focus. Which is what the intent of Release Priority was supposed to provide us the option of!

4. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    What is focus trapping?

5. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    The camera takes a picture only when what's in the focusing box is in focus (without shifting the lens elements and refocusing).

6. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Thanks. I thought that was the same as release priority.

7. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Roughly the same, the only real difference is the camera won't try to refocus and rather waits for the subject to move.

8. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    I see. So the lens is pre focussed, or manual focussed on a specific point. And when the subject passes that point the focus trap just triggers the shutter.
    Thanks.
    Is this for wildlife? Or sport? Or kids wild parties?

9. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    It can be used for wildlife (stationary ambush camera) however one of the main uses I've seen is adapted manual focus lenses, you hold the shutter down and twirl the focus ring - As soon as it kicks into focus it takes a picture.

10. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    My intent would be wildlife and sports...to setup the camera on tripos, focused on the point of interest, like just off of a perch, waiting for the bird to fly though. In the backyard, snapping the small, darting birds in flight is very challenging. But I know,where the feeders and afforded perches are, so it seems a strategically selected focus point would be a great way to put a camera n a tripod, go get my coffee and check back in a few.

For sports, less interesting, but I could also see that perfect spot to,grab that "shot at the net" and wait for it. More interested for wildlife though.

11. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

That is NOT the sort of automation I am interested in!

12. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    The camera will automatically take a picture when an object appears in the focus point and depth. Imagine the scenario where you setup a hummingbird feeder and set the focus point a foot away, at the same depth. The camera will wait until an object flies into the specific area, focus and take the picture. No feeder in view, nice BIF shot.

One way to get pictures that take a lot of time and good fortune to get typically. I've been trying to get a hummingbird in flight all season. They come and go so fast!