I want a Panny 14 mm pancake but......

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Dangermouse1968, May 18, 2012.

1. Dangermouse1968

Dangermouse1968 Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2011
    ... I can't decide how to buy one!!!!

I have the lovely lovely 20 mm and the Oly 45mm, both of which have proved to be excellent buys. Not surprisingly, I like the pancake size and weight.

I "need" a wide angle and whilst I might prefer 12 mm I'm not prepared to pay 3 x more for a non-pancake when the 14 mm has such good reviews. One of the main reasons I got in u4/3 was the reasonable cost and smaller size and weight!!!!

So decision made, right? Wrong!!!!!!

Until the end of the month Panny are offering £50 cashback so I can essentially get the lens for £150 OR I could buy a GF3+14mm for £290, get the £50 off and a copy of Lightroom3. I think I fancy a copy of LR3 but I'm not really one for spending much time working on pictures post-shooting (actually, although I shoot RAW and jpegs the RAWs never get used) and I'm not confident I'd use the use the GF3 (I have a GF1 and I bought my gf a GF1 so could argue I have a back-up).

Perhaps if I only even get £50 for the GF3 on the bay then LR3 has only cost me £40???

Waht do you peeps think?

DM

2. Dangermouse1968

Dangermouse1968 Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2011
    ... oh, I should add, whilst I'm happy to buy camera's second hand I like my lenses new, and with the current Panny money deals I don't see the point in going "used".

3. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    The 12mm is amazing, in design and quality.

But I feel the 14 is too.

The 14 isn't quite as a wide, but still wide. I really marveled at how tiny the thing is. Focuses fast and is almost totally silent. I got mine "used" from ebay, but really it's new. It was part of a kit lens (probably GF3), so it can only came with a end and front cap. But they're super cheap (relatively). The 12 is a beauty of a lens, but if you don't want to pay the premium price, the 14mm is the most bang for your buck easily.

4. iGonzoid

iGonzoid Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Tasmania, Australia
    Also bought my Lumix 14mm as a separated part of a lens kit at a vastly reduced price in December. Fits beautifully on my EP-2 as a tiny package. Use it mostly at the 16/9 aspect ratio that gives the effect of even wider angle of view and apparent coverage. The f2.5 max aperture is great for low available light indoors as the relatively wide angle is forgiving with DoF. Very versatile. Buy a quality circular polarizer, for skyskapes and landscapes if possible. The Pany 14mm comes sans lens hood, so a 3rd party metal lens hood to fit the 46mm filter thread is a good investment for under $10. Very enjoyable for interiors and exteriors.

5. slith

slith Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2012
    Dublin, Ireland
    Alfonso
    I bought a 'second hand' from eBay for about £100. I haven't noticed any issues with it. I think that considering how tiny this less is, I carry it with me any time I carry the camera, even if I go without a bag, just pocket it...

Considering my local reseller wants €430 for this lens (lol), a cashback offer won't make this option reasonable for me.

6. Touche

Touche Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 22, 2012
    I got the GF3+14mm+Lightroom 3 for £250 from SRS Microsystems. Got £50 cashback. Sold Lightroom 3 for £58. Sold the GF3 for £150. So basically got a free 14mm lens :D

7. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    I got the same deal but already had the 14mm lens, so sold the lens for £125 and got the camera + LR3 for £75. If I had sold LR3 the camera would have been almost free.

There were a lot of people selling unused 14mm lenses on ebay because of this deal, so anyone wanting the 14mm could have got a new one for as little as £100 - not sure if this is still the case or if the glut has now ended? :)

8. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
  9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
  10. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    And then pick up a DMW-GWC1 for an 11mm F2.5. About $300 for both if you're thrifty. Pretty good image quality.

11. toobacat

toobacat Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2012
    This guy is good to buy from in the US. He has perfect feedback and offers a 60 day warranty. These don't come with the manufacturers warranty since they were part of a kit. $160.99 plus $8 shipping.

12. brutto

brutto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 17, 2011
    But... they are in Taiwan so when the lens arrives, assuming it does, you would pay duty + 20% VAT on the product + 20% VAT on the shipping cost + customs clearance fees + 20% VAT on the custom clearance fees. You can reckon on another £30 to £40 on top of the lens cost. And then if there's something goes wrong with it, Olympus UK might politely decline to help as it is not a UK supplied lens.

13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I didn't realize that the Ebay price didn't include those fees. That is unfortunate. At any rate, I'd be willing to take my chances on the warranty for a cheaper price on the lens.

• Like Like x 1
  14. brutto

brutto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 17, 2011
    Agree there - I buy everything second-hand if I can. In fact my "new" old E-P3 is arriving tomorrow.