1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

I want a pancake!!! Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by LowriderS10, Jul 7, 2013.

1. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Hi guys,

So I'm *THINKING* about picking up a pancake, because they're a lot of fun. I'm not 100% set on it, since the Oly lenses are light enough as it is...but they're not overly expensive, so it might be worth a shot...

I'm thinking Panasonic 20 1.7 mostly because it's fast. Also, with my 9-18 I have the Pan 14 and Oly 17's FL covered. Finally, I had a 40 2.8 pancake (same FL equivalent) on my 5D Mark II and loved it.

What do you think?

Thanks,
    Tamas

2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    IHOP or RCPH...:tongue:

3. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Or Waffle House?

4. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    There are really just three.

Oly 17mm f/2.8 (awful)
    Panny 14mm f/2.5 (you don't want it)
    Panny 20mm f/1.7

So, my question to you is, what the heck are you asking us? You already have the answer to your question!

Next question please.

5. ranxoren

ranxoren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
  6. sigamy

sigamy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    I went for the Lumix 25mm f/1.4 instead of the 20mm f/1.7. I love the 25mm but there are times I think about a smaller pancake lens. What would you recommend?

7. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Haha thanks...I'm asking because I do very thorough research on everything before I decide to buy it (it took me over a year of researching to finally decide on the OM-D as my mirrorless travel companion). :)

Plus, I like random information...even though I will end up with the 20, it's nice to know why it's better than the rest...that way the next time someone asks me, I can help them. :)

EDIT: I just read the dpreview review on this...very positive. :)

8. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    wow, not for me

I have the 14mm and the 20mm, and I use the 14mm about 1,000 times as often--it's tiny, sharp, and perfectly complements a small RF-style camera. I have no idea why you'd write "you don't want it". I certainly would!

(The 20mm's good too, but it's slow to focus, noisy (which doesn't bother me), and somewhat larger. Still a pancake, but not the diminutive size of the 14mm.)

9. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Four.

Olympus 15mm f/8.0 Body Cap Lens V325010BW000 B&H Photo Video

Can't get much more pancake than that... :biggrin::biggrin:

Regards,

Jim

*O.K., I.Q. might be a little off...but at $39 U.S. :thumbup:

10. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    HE said HE didn't want it because he already had that focal length "covered". I personally have no problem with it except I seldom used it. It was a good lens.

If you actually READ the OP's post, you might understand the answers, lol! :rolleyes:

11. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    It's a great lens but the bokeh rendering is occasionally a little harsh. I gave mine to my daughter but I'm buying another 20mm to reside on my GX1 full time as my "street" type camera.

Most of the time, I prefer the Oly 17mm f/1.8 for it's much smoother rendering -- but the 20mm 1.7 is a great lens nonetheless.

12. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    I didn't say I didn't want it...I just said I had that FL covered! ;)

If the 14 is a better choice than the 20, I want to know! :D

13. rparmar

rparmar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    Yeah, go for it. The 20mm is a nice lens.

14. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Okay, questions like yours get me riled. DO YOU KNOW WHAT YOU WANT TO SHOOT?

Because they are two very different lenses, with a stop of light between them. Is low light more important? Get the 20mm. Is wider important? Get the 14mm.

If you are a photographer, you are choosing a focal length to suit what you will be shooting. WHAT DO YOU DO?

Maybe you need BOTH. Listen, I'm going to shout some more: NOBODY CAN TELL YOU WHICH LENS IS BETTER FOR WHAT YOU SHOOT.

Everybody: quit asking people to choose FOR YOU. BE a photographer, MAKE a choice. TAKE pictures with that choice. Learn. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

And with that I'll unsubscribe before I get really worked up, lol.

15. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Now you're talking! :biggrin:

John, don't go getting all lathered up, now :biggrin:.

Regards,

Jim

16. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Whoaaaa....you need to chill out, dude...take a deep breath. And another. And one more. Good. See...you're all better now.

I was actually asking which lens is better in absolute terms, hence why I didn't want to muddy up the post with what I shoot.

This lens would be used for general out-and-about shooting, when I feel like carrying a small, discrete package. It'll shoot a mixed bag of things from street candids to close-ups to buildings.

I'm leaning towards the 20 because I like how fast it is and I liked the 40 pancake on my 5D2. With that said, if another lens blows the 20 out of the water performance-wise, I'd consider it.

EDIT: As for learning, with all due respect, if anyone needs to learn something it's for you to chill out and to come across less condescending. I've owned hundreds of lenses, worked as a pro shooter for years (I really don't need to be told to "be a photographer")...I know how to buy one... :)

17. ranxoren

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
  18. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Nah, John was just funnin' with ya. :2thumbs: No worries, mate.

On a slightly more serious note, I've got both the 20mm and the 14mm for my OM-D and the I.Q. of the 20mm is better (even though I've never worked as a pro shooter :biggrin: ) . The 20mm has been reported by others to be a slow focusing lens but I've not found it so on my copy. However I don't shoot fast moving subjects or sports anymore.

Which one I choose to carry really depends upon the subject, but if I'm "out and about" the 20mm has become my lens of choice. (Subject to change, I'm fickle that way :biggrin:).

If pressured and based only on I.Q. I'd recommend the 20mm.

HTH

Regards,

Jim

(Of course now that you've asked you're bound to post pics made with what ever you choose :thumbup:).

19. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Oohhh thanks! I was wondering where the all-black ones came from...hmmm...

I could get the "old" version still in Korea...for $267 brand new. As much as I love the look of the new lens, I'm not sure it's worth $130 extra.

This is all excellent, thank you!!! :)

Yeah, the one thing I *don't* shoot is anything that moves very quickly haha. Thanks for the direct comparison, it definitely helps!

20. ranxoren

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    Could be if you care for internal and faster focusing ;)