1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I want a 4th gen PEN without the AA filter!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by LovinTheEP2, Apr 19, 2012.

1. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Curious how others feel about Olympus making a 4th gen PEN (ie EP4) removing the AA filter.

EP-4; AA filter removed, OM-D sensor, 5axis IBIS, flash onboard, OM-D screen
    EPL-4; AA filter not removed, 12mp sensor, 5axis IBIS, no flash, OM-D Screen (maybe ISO 100 addition)
    EPmini; AA filter not removed, 12mp sensor, old IBIS, no flash, fixed screen, minimal buttons and dials.

I still think Olympus should differentiate the EP-X vs. the lite and mini more then just screens etc.

I would be totally up for buying a PEN without AA filter at the risk of occasionally have to deal with moire.

If more and more cameras are launched with no AA and with the off chance of bit of moire occasionally, plugin developers will react quickly to create plugins for LR & Photoshop where you select a region that has moire and heals it. That way, only a very small area of an image that is effected would need correcting and yet you get the clean resolution that the removing blur filter causes.

2. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    Your 4g epmini sounds a lot like the current epmini, no?

Also, I'll be honest that I have no idea what an AA filter is. *blush*

3. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
  4. vinay

vinay Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2012
    Toronto
    The E-P4 would have to be cheaper than the E-M5.. I'd think they'd hold back more than just the weather sealing and EVF

5. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    Ha, I was gonna ask why a camera cares if you've been drinking !