I used both my Fuji X-T1 and my E-M1 in a shoot

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by jonbrisbincreative, Nov 21, 2014.

1. jonbrisbincreative

jonbrisbincreative Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2014
    I have to say that I'm really blown away by my X-T1. I rented it some time ago and really liked it but felt like I really needed to go with the E-M1 for the fast autofocus and operational speed of the camera. I bought one used the other day to add to my kit. While the X-T1's autofocus isn't on par with my E-M1 from what I've seen so far, the sensor and glass is just wonderful. I really, really, like the X-Trans rendering.

I did a portrait shoot of the cheerleaders yesterday and I thought the results from the X-T1 turned out much better than I expected. I did some white balance adjustment and applied some basic curves and pulled the highlights some but this is pretty close to what came out of the camera. The rendering is so very film-like:

DSCF5020.

I'm anxious to see reports on the autofocus performance of the new 50-140/2.8 zoom and how that compares to the Olympus 40-150/2.8. I'm going to be selling off the rest of my Canon gear and if the Fuji can keep up with the E-M1 by firmware updates, then I'll be going to Fuji. But if it can't then I'll have to keep the E-M1 for the autofocus. When the 50-140 is released, I'll rent one and do some testing for myself. I'm not going to rely on the echo chamber of review sites.

• Like Like x 2
  2. memzinla

memzinla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've seen images taken with that camera, and I'm very impressed. I really love the fast lenses they have. I would probably buy the Fuji, but I'm not happy with the video quality. I'm fine with video quality on the E-M1.

3. jonbrisbincreative

Mar 30, 2014
    FWIW There's a huge firmware update coming for X-series cameras mid-December that will include updates to the video capabilities.

4. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Really nice shot. I do find the large amount of green CA on the bleachers really distracting, though - what lens is that?

5. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Lovely shot. I would like to see some side by side comparisons since you used both cameras on the same shoot. If it's not too much trouble that is. :smile:

6. jonbrisbincreative

Mar 30, 2014
    I used them both but for different things. I had the 14/2.5 on my E-M1 which I used for group shots and used the X-T1 for portraits. I thought about maybe doing a back-and-forth but decided against it.

7. AlanU

AlanU Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2012
    When I gave the XT1 a test drive I did like the overall experience. The viewfinder was absolutely incredible for such a small camera!!!!

I chat with my local camera shops often. One of the shops I frequent has seen a rise in an enthusiast buying a fuji instead of a consumer grade canon or nikon crop sensor dslr. I think this is due to cosmetics and image quality. Going to such stores is scary tempting for me. I was so tempted to walk out with an xt1.

On the same note the M43 sales is decent but theres definitely a small shift in the highly competitive market of small form factor camera's.

Even though I own a em5 and gh3 I'm toying in switching my secondary system. XT1 and A7s at this moment in time would be the two top of my list.

On the topic of "other sytems" theres such a wide choice these days. Testing so many camera's on the market it really messes up your level of tolerance. This is where you set the bar at a different level after test driving new camera's.

Shooting an Sony A7s at iso 6400 is as clean as my canon 5dmk2 full frame at iso 800-1600!!!!! That is truly a level that no manufacturer can really touch at the moment. However the rendition of the fuji is well.....fuji :) Lots to love about that.

8. metalmania

metalmania Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 19, 2012
    NYC
    14/2.5 is not an ideal lens on EM1. Pana 25/1.4 will give a very similar look just like your sample picture.

• Like Like x 2
  9. hankbaskett

hankbaskett Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    I think he was using a wide lens (the 14mm) for group shots and the X-T1 for portraits? I don't think he was trying to recreate his sample picture with a 14mm lens...

10. tomO2013

tomO2013 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    The Fuji is a lovely system with gorgeous glass. You should get the 23 1.4 for it - it's stunning. Also for portraits they have a lovely 56mm 1.2 APD.

I've had a love hate experience with Fuji over the years. I've gone back a number of times from XE1, to XT1 but never really settled. Each time I felt Fuji was closer to the mark. I tend to prefer portraits these days and I believe that Fuji and the XTrans 'look' excels here rendering really pleasing skin tones probably better than Canon or Nikon SOOC. Like you said, very film like. When I bought the Fuji it was the small niggly things that I didn't like on the XT1, the rear buttons were difficult to press with thin winter gloves on and the RAW wasn't so hot in light room. I've since reprocessed quite a few RAWs with the latest build of PhotoNinja and have been really impressed with what has come out. It handles the demosaiccing light years better than LR.
    If Fuji could manage to put IBIS and a higher mp count in their XPro 2 they would have a very compelling offering to counter Sony's latest and greatest A7ii body. Especially when you consider the wealth of high quality and fast glass available for the system....

Nice photo BTW :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    Australia
    William
    You guys don't understand how hard it is for me to NOT buy Fujifilm gear although I already have M43!!!!

• Like Like x 2
  12. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    I had the Fuji XT-1 and I will agree that it is a really nice system, but the problems that I had with it was trying to work with their poor flash system. If Fuji could come out with a better flash system they would have something to work with. I will say that the camera does have some slight weight to it when you are carrying two bodies and a few lenses in a bag, but to have that weight and the poor flash system was reason enough for me to let the system go. There was talk of a new flash coming out for the Fuji, but I have read where even that new flash has some problems with the letters that are printed on it lasting. I do a lot of landscape shooting and the Fuji XT-1 is great for that, but there are those times that I have to hook a flash up to it, for me, that is where it falls short.

13. bacil

bacil Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2012
    Minnesota
    Isn't that the same flash that is available for MFT by nissin?

14. jonbrisbincreative

Mar 30, 2014
    Some of that only really shows up when I start tweaking clarity and other settings.

It's the 35/1.4 @ f2.0

15. jonbrisbincreative

Mar 30, 2014
    The 14 is a fine lens and does excellent wide shots with plenty of contrast. The Pana 25/1.4 I have and use frequently but it does not render portraits like the Fuji. Not even close, even at f2.

16. jonbrisbincreative

Mar 30, 2014
    After shooting the X-T1 for more than a single event, I think I'm going to be liquidating some stuff to get both the 23 and 56.

Thanks! The girls were a lot of fun to be around and they're really easy to photograph.

17. jonbrisbincreative

Mar 30, 2014
    I've been using Yongnuo flashes but I'm probably going to add a Godox Wistro and V850s since the remote is tiny and you can adjust the flashes remotely. Otherwise I use available light so find the lack of TTL flash no problem for my style.

As far as weight, I think my E-M1 weighs more than the equivalent setup on X-T1.

18. metalmania

metalmania Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 19, 2012
    NYC
    Well, maybe you are right, however the your sample image could not justify your point. If you don't say it's from Fuji, I am sure lots of people will assume it is from Pana 25/1.4. Similar things happened on my Oly 75/1.8 portraits, many ppl assumed those were from Canon 70-200/2.8 II. Sorry I couldn't post a sample 75/1.8 sample here though.

19. AlexH

AlexH Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Arkansas, U.S.
    Just wait until you try the Fujinon 23mm f/1.4. Magical... ;)

20. bacil

bacil Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2012
    Minnesota
    Many fuji lenses are on sale. Act fast if you want to buy them at significant discount ($200 less for the 23mm)