1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I upscaled 1080p to 4K, No One Noticed :)

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by Lobbamobba, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Lobbamobba

Lobbamobba Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Sweden
    Hey,
    Sorry but no m4/3 cameras where used in this since that would have given away my hoax straight away, but it might be interesting for us as BMPCC, GH3 and GH4 shooters as well.

I wanted to try if upscaling 1080p to 4K would give me a better 1080p on YouTube due to the higher bitrate.
    I also wanted to see if anyone would notice in this crave for 4K thats going on right now.

So I shoot a video in 1080p and uploaded it in 4K.

Results after 4 days:
    693 views, 29 Likes and about 10 positive comments.
    No one has questioned it not being true 4K.

Conclusion: Shoot and have fun and also "YES" upscaling will IMO give you a nicer image on YouTube.

I uploaded with the headline, "Car Boot Sale - BMPC and Tamron 70-200/2.8 Macro" which I have now changed, therefor people would just assume I recorded in 4K without me bending the truth to much ;)

Here is the video,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNoQ3Cp3WZ8

• Like Like x 1
  2. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    I think not many people can notice that because they are not equipped with 4k capable hardware or bandwidth, I've never uploaded to Youtube but theoretically the higher bitrate should give a better result than compressed 1080P

3. Lobbamobba

Lobbamobba Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Sweden
    Thats a Little bit my point also. Its not needed right now.
    To be honest I watch youtube in 720p on my iPad so even 1080p is just nice to have.

4. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    The quality of the video (grading, artifacts etc) has a lot to do with perceived quality. I downloaded the fan fix of the original SW trilogy in 720p and it is fantastic. They worked on some stuff frame by frame and the results are truly amazing.

5. Andym72

Andym72 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 4, 2013
    Reading, UK
    Watching this on a Macbook Pro Retina screen, there is a very slight increase in sharpness when you go to 4K, but I'd put that down to the way Youtube encodes the video. The 4K is getting more bitrate, so there's less high frequency info being removed by the lossy compression. In addition, the Macroblocks will appear at a quarter of the size, so the discontinuities between blocks might be harder to see.

• Like Like x 1