1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I tried not to like the camera (OM D E1)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Photorebel, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Photorebel

Photorebel Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2013
    Jeff Mims
    I guess it's habit, but when I get a new camera, l'm pretty excited, then I look for the negatives, what I don't like. I need find that out..while return period is still open. It seems every quibble had about the OM D E1..has been addressed. It is..a remarkable camera, IMHO.
    Customizable so many ways. Well constructed, great EVF…sharp lenses. I have a battery grip, but it's comfortable without the grip. The more I shoot with it..even though just practice now, the more I like it. It seems exceptionally well designed, and constructed. It's harder to find what I don't like about camera.

I have compared files to Canon 6D, with several different lenses, the xPro1…and the more shoot with this camera the more I like it.

My only quibbles…
    1. Expense..not a cheap camera, thats for sure.
    2. some loss of detail at really high ISOs…where NR is needed. (and even then..they are close to FF files. (6D in my case)

2. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Are you talking about the 10 year old, five megapixel four thirds body from Olympus?

Fred

3. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    Probably EM1

4. F/Stop

F/Stop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Brian Y.
    Maybe op has been drinking ?

5. Photorebel

Photorebel Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2013
    Jeff Mims
    I was just saying…it's hard to find anything not to like about eh OM E1. That I like the camera a lot.

6. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    That part is clear. What is not clear is WHICH camera you're talking about. I'm certainly assuming you're talking about the new OMD EM1. But the way you keep calling it the OM E1, you could be talking about the old Olympus E-1 DSLR, a 5.5mp camera from about 2002-2003. I can't imagine you're not talking about the brand new EM1, but the way you name the camera makes it confusing...

BTW, I had the same reaction. I had loaners of the EP5 and GX7 and liked them both a lot but wasn't going to buy either of them. I then got a loaner of the EM1 and was absolutely not planning to upgrade from my EM5, but I liked the damn thing so much I sold the EM5 and am buying the EM1. It gets so many little things right that the EM5 didn't even necessarily get wrong, but the EM1 gets them so much righter...

-Ray

7. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I played with an E-M1 today at LCE in Leamington. Really nice. Viewfinder is superb. After 5 mins of taking some test shots with it, when I went back to my E-M5 (which I'd taken along for the ride :)), its viewfinder seemed so tiny in comparison. Ergonomics of the E-M1 are great too. It's a real improvement over the E-M5 in this regard.

I put my own card into the camera so that I could do some pixel peeping later, but I stupidly left it set on some JPEG setting rather than raw and consequently the images are much worse than comparison shots I took with my E-M5. However, from all I've read the IQ is much the same or perhaps a shade better from the E-M1, so I won't mark it down for that.

Am I going to upgrade? Well, it's a hefty price tag for an improved viewfinder and better ergonomics (and a few other bells and whistles too I realise), so I'm not so sure. I enjoy my E-M5 and get good results with it, so I think I'll wait a while.

8. Photorebel

Photorebel Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2013
    Jeff Mims
    Well the price is the biggest quibble I have with the OM D E1….by the time I add a few lenses, I'm approaching $3000 or so, just for the kit. But it's hard to beat for versatility. I have looked at files in LR, both JPEG and Raw…and they certainly don't beat out FF sensor files, but it's amazing how close they are, considering it's such a smaller sensor. Very close up to 3200 ISO, IMO. Not the same..just close.

9. photo_owl

photo_owl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2013
    just because something's good, or better, it doesn't mean you have to have it......

I don't regret getting mine though :)

10. efoo

efoo Mu-43 Regular

Jun 5, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Eddie
    Photorebel, you still have not clarified which camera you are talking about. E1 or E-M1?

11. bredman

bredman Mu-43 Veteran

May 30, 2013
    Sherwood Forest
    Pete
    LoL

• Like Like x 1
  12. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    The man is happy with his camera. In the greater scheme of things, does it really matter which one it is?

13. Photorebel

Photorebel Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2013
    Jeff Mims
    Unless my eyes are bad, I think my post reads OM D E1.

14. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Yeah, they do, but there is no OM D E1. There's a 10 year old 4/3 DSLR (the first on I think) called the E-1. And there's a brand new mirrorless flagship camera called an OM-D E-M1. We're all pretty much assuming that you're talking about the new EM1, not the old E1, but the way you're typing it is a bit confusing.

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  15. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Lol

There is NO camera called the "OM D E1"

There is the OM-D EM-1 and there is the Evolt E-1.....does your camera take m4/3 or 4/3 lenses?

16. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    He's playing with you. Feeding time should be over already......

Gordon

17. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

And what is that when it's at home?

18. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    I have a similar feeling regarding the EM1. I walked past a local camera shop the other day joking with my partner that maybe they will have the EM1 in stock and they DID!! Damn... I was never a fan of the EM5 ergonomics, but the EM1 is a different beast. Very nice to hold and with the 12-40mm zoom, still a very compact interchangeable lens camera with a zoom. I struggled to leave the store without it, but refrained attempting to apply logic over emotion. Since then, I have been seriously thinking about what my next camera will be. I have not updated since the 12MP Pany sensors and therefore everything is a significant upgrade.

There are so many choices, both inside M43 and outside in other mirrorless systems. I read this morning that a Fuji owner had finally found a software program that worked brilliantly with his workflow for processing the X-Trans RAW files; Photo Ninja. That was one of the things holding me back a little. Then there is the A7/A7R and talk of a Fuji centered positioned EVF body on the horizon for early next year. So many choices, but what a wonderful time to be an amateur enthusiast. In the daytime, I head out to take photos; at night I sometimes fight back the GAS.

19. Photorebel

Photorebel Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2013
    Jeff Mims
    i apologize for my confusion, I did mean the EM 1

• Like Like x 2
  20. alans

alans Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2010
    The E-1 came out 10 years ago. I had two of them for shooting weddings. Great ergonomics, weatherproof, slow AF and high ISO was 1000 when I was lucky. Oly has come a long way since then and now you have the OMD E-M1.