I thought about a move to the Fuji X-Pro1....

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by SimonL, Jan 23, 2012.

1. SimonL

SimonL Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    NW England
  2. twentythree

twentythree Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 15, 2012
    Lismore NSW Australia
    That's a compelling argument!

3. timallenphoto

timallenphoto Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    Kent, England
    What's your point? 2 different classes of camera are different sizes. Are you in effect saying the Pentax Q must be better than the GX1?

• Like Like x 2
  4. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
  5. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    • Like Like x 9
  6. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Sell livers and kidneys first! Then sell the children. Then you could probably get the 3 primes :eek:

7. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I get that the X-Pro 1 is big, relatively speaking, but for me there is DSLR sized and pocketable size, and pretty much everything in between. The X-Pro still fits in the in between category, like every m4/3s offering. While I'm sure the difference in size & weight vs a GX1 might matter to some people with specific needs in that regard, I don't see how it would be a deal breaker for most folks. Sure wouldn't be for me if the price point was comfortably lower.

8. timallenphoto

May 20, 2011
    Kent, England
  9. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Ray
    I have an other suggestion , get married again and then have a child with new wife, by end of 9months price of Fuji Pro 1 will drop and new born will fetch a much higher price and u can afford all lenses launched by Fuji by then ..
    Cheers
    :rofl::rofl:

10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Same thoughts as OP and Ray. Back and forth. Twisting. But for me, I don't think I can really justify the spend BECAUSE having a camera that size, I'd ALSO still need the EPM1 and lenses, meaning it's money above, not instead of.

But, I'm looking forward to others' pictures with the Fuji. Maybe I could buy into that system in a year or so. It certainly raises the bar for everyone else, too, and is just all goodness for us consumers.

My other issue is the possible AF focus speed, menus and write time, and Fuji quality control issues on the X100. That I'll need to see in person.

11. alans

alans Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2010
    After the costs of what that would do to your pocketbook and sanity, it would be easier to just buy the camera....

Thanks for the link Ray. This year it appears that there will be more than just a few new cameras that will be tempting in formats in m43 and larger.

12. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    So a larger sensor and built-in EVF require a larger body? Shocking!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    The vital organs are still useful to me - the kids are just an emotional attachment at this point...:biggrin:

-Ray

14. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    • Like Like x 1
  15. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    No, no, no!

You sell the KID's livers and kidneys!

16. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
  17. drewbot

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    That's what I meant. The buyers of the kids will have no idea that you took some value outta them.

18. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    Not sure that's all that surprising, either. The Fuji is much thinner, which is to be expected without a mirror box. But otherwise, it's got to contain pretty much the same components as the Nikon. The sensor's the same size, the electronics (not including the EVF) are about the same. Get rid of the OVF, which saves a lot of bulk up top, but then add the EVF which adds some bulk back. And since this is the McDreamy rangefinder style body, the bulk associated with the EVF can't sit on top, so it's going to raise the shoulders and/or width of the camera some.

I'm not sure you can expect an APS-C camera with a built-in EVF and full complement of controls to be much smaller than this.

19. timallenphoto

May 20, 2011
    Kent, England
    Yes, the X100 had plenty of issues, and the X10 has the white disk problem which is still unfixed. This new camera needs to be perfect out of the box to justify the price and hype.

20. drewbot

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    The current X-series lineup remind me of the girls I went to in high school - beautiful bodies, steep price to play, highly coveted, but sometimes very quirky :rofl: