I think we're about to have a new "Holy Trinity" of lenses...

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by DHart, Jun 26, 2012.

1. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I'm thinking we're about to have yet another "Holy Trinity" of m4/3 lenses (or I am, anyway)... this time zooms:

Pany 7-14/4
    Pany 12-35/2.8,
    Pany 35-100/2.8

With the addition of a fast prime (like the Pany 20/1.7 pancake) or two, this kit is likely to cover most general shooter's needs quite nicely.

Of course, some of us won't easily let go of some of our super-fast primes or super-long telephoto lenses, particularly for specialty use... but I can sure see the three zooms listed above being very heavily used lenses in my kit, especially for travel use and general purpose stuff.

For those who want to minimize time and effort involved in swapping lenses and minimize the number of lenses purchased and carried, I believe that the IQ obtainable from the above listed lenses with todays top m4/3 bodies will largely obviate the 'need' for a number other m4/3 lenses.

I can see traveling with two E-M5 bodies: one with 7-14 mounted, the other with 12-35 mounted, and with the 35-100 and 20/1.7 (or perhaps 12/2) in a small hip bag. I would like that a LOT! :smile:

2. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    For me the 7-14 and 35-100 are on my wish list. I am quite happy with the fast primes I have in between the 2 at the moment, so the 12-35 doesn't interest me as much.

In fact, the 7-14 will most likely be my next purchase, after seeing all the wonderful images taken with the lens posted by you and others on this site. As for the 35-100, I will probably wait out until I see what's on Olympus' lens road map for the next year or so. I am still hoping that they would come up with a m4/3 version of the 50-200 f/2.8-4.0...

• Like Like x 1
  3. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Funny you should say that, Don, I was just thinking exactly the same thing yesterday - the combined price will probably be the killer for most people though....

4. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Yes.... that's the downside... this 'holy grail' won't come cheap. :frown: I know it won't be 'everyman's holy grail'. Comparatively speaking to similar FF lenses, though, the pricing isn't exactly out of line, considering the significant shrinkage in physical size. m4/3 gear, at it's best, plays to the high quality/lighter weight/smaller size model, but doesn't cater to the lower priced market.

5. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    do you think with the rumored sigma 12-35 2.8 coming out it would be a little bit better on your wallet? or do you want to stick to a lumix theme there?

6. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    KS11... I've never been one to buy Sigma, Tamron lenses, etc. for my Canon FF gear, not that the other makers don't produce some good glass.

Personally, I'm inclined to spend the extra for the Lumix lenses, but I may not be able to distinguish images made with some lenses from the 3rd party makers... and they probably do represent good value. :smile: I've never been disappointed in a Lumix lens yet - at a particular price point... I think they set a superb standard in the m4/3 world, though they definitely aren't inexpensive.

7. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    hkpzee... the 35-100 would certainly get less use from me than the other two zooms.... but from what I've seen so far, I have a feeling the 35-100 will produce outstanding images. 35-100 is certainly a more useful range to me than longer lenses going out to 200mm or 300mm... but I'm not much for wildlife photography and such, so the the really long lenses just don't get much use from me.

I could survive for a long time (if not doing much with portraits) with the 7-14 on one E-M5, the 12-35 on another, and the 20/1.7 in the pocket. :wink:

8. Fred49

Fred49 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2010
    FRance
  9. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I think you mean holy trinity ... A "grail" usually refers to a single item.

• Like Like x 2
  10. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I've already got the 7-14, and I'll almost certainly buy the 12-35 (or possibly the Oly 12-60 if that rumor turns out to be true). That would match my 10-22 and 17-55 2.8 Canon lenses. But the 35-100 leaves me wanting more. I'm used to my 70-200 2.8 on APS-C, which has an FOV equal to about 105 to 320mm on my APS-C body. The Panasonic lens comes up short in comparison.

I'll probably stick with my 14-140 as an outdoor walk-around lens, where speed isn't as important, and consider the 100-300 if I decide I really need a long tele. But until m43 C-AF improves dramatically, I'll stick with my EOS and 70-200 for sports.

11. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Oh, ~tc~ you are so right.. It was late last night and trinity was what I meant... Not what I wrote. :redface: I will edit the title.

12. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    The only 'Holy Trinity' of lenses I've ever heard of are Canon's 35, 85 and 135 L-series primes. As such, I figured that any trinity would be comparable to that and/or the best prime lenses (and therefore typically the best IQ) a system could offer in a series of fairly standard focal lengths . Therefore, I would say at the moment that the Holy Trinity for m43 cameras would be the Olympus 12mm, Panasonic 25mm and Olympus 45mm. Maybe the Olympus 75mm could end up in there, but not any of the zoom lenses.

13. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Interesting. Nikon users generally consider the 14-24/2.8, 24-70/2.8 and 70-200/2.8II to be their 'holy trinity'.

In any case, I strongly suspect the 12-35/2.8 will prove more than a match for the 12/2 and 45/1.8. Possibly the 25/1.4 as well, at least in terms of sharpness.

DH

14. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    It would be a nice collection...but the thought of carrying 4k worth of lens (and 2k of cameras?!) together would stress me out too much to be enjoyable...

15. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    You have four lenses in your trinity.

• Like Like x 1
  16. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Inflation hits everywhere..... :biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
  17. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    I guess it is called an affinity...

18. silversx80

silversx80 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2012
    North Carolina
    Maybe it's the Hindu version :smile:

19. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    The above views are revealing on how things changed from older SLR/film days to the present era.

Because with film SLRs there were in reality only a handful of real quality zooms (incidentaly, Olympus had a couple astonishing ones). Digital is what brought us really high grade zooms.

But it's a highly subjective matter I suppose. Some people find primes preferable and, TBH, you can't beat them for absolute IQ. But I believe the "trinity" of zooms going from 14-16 to 200mm currently beat primes in popularity, regardless of system.

20. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Ean... Yes, the 12, 25, and 45 have been discussed for some time as the m4/3 'trinity'.... that's why I stated that this would be another trinity... this time a trinity of zooms! :smile:

As for the 4th lens I mentioned... I would think of that as prime adjunct to the 'zoom trinity'. :wink:

I do think that in another year's time or so, the three zooms I mentioned will be quite commonly used among m4/3 shooters. Certainly not every m4/3 shooters zoom trinity, but for me they probably will be.