I think I'm done....

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by yakky, Nov 5, 2013.

1. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    I think I'm done with the world of M43. Its been a nice stay, but there just isn't a camera that does it for me.

• Started with an EPL-1
      +Great colors
      -Noise past ISO 800, hard to clean up
      -slow AF
    • Moved on to a GF3
      +nice size
      -atrocious colors
      -noise past 1600, not to hard to clean though
    • Snagged a GX-1
      +sexy body
      -atrocious color
    • last but not least a G5
      +fun to use body
      -atrocious color and flakey jpeg results

Man, reading that list reminds me of how much I like the Oly colors and output. Panasonics just downright stink for skin tones and overall colors. Everything is just so cold and even a lot of PP doesn't get them to Oly levels.. It reminds of of the colors I got out of a few Casio P&S, very strong green and blues. I just recently picked up a Nikon J1 and LOVE how fast it focuses, the colors and the speed. Lens selection is pretty bad.... ARGH.....
  2. BeyondTheLines

BeyondTheLines Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2012
    If you love Oly colors and output I'd suggest you try one of their newer cameras (with the sony sensors) before giving up on the system. You didn't mention what lenses your'e using, that can make a big difference in your enjoyment of the system too.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. woody112704

woody112704 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2012
    I'm confused. If you loved the Oly colors but hated Panasonic's why did you keep buying new Panasonic bodies instead of going back to Oly?
    • Like Like x 8
  4. Joelmusicman

Joelmusicman Mu-43 Regular

Nov 1, 2013
    I third the other comments. Oly sensors have come a long way since the E-PL1.

E-M5s are crazy bargains now that the E-M1 is out... (I've got an E-M1 on preorder myself, but if I can't get at least 600 net for my E-M5 I should just stick with that)
  5. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    If you're leaving, at least give a good reason why you're leaving. Reads like your major gripe is the colors produced by Panasonic cameras, yet you keep replacing one Panasonic model with another. It's as if you weren't aware that Olympus also makes m43 cameras--except of course you acknowledge owning an E-PL1!

Color me confused.

I mean, there might be lots of reasons one leaves m43--prefers greater DOF of FF, just like the way the Fuji handles, etc. etc. No big deal, lots of people have left. Just seems like there was a lot simpler solution for you that doesn't abandon the m43 world.
  7. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    and you have to tell us....why?...

if micro 4/3 hasn't worked for you ... then fine... its your choice

in the absence of any actual photo evidence I am thinking along the lines of poor workman blames the tools

hope you find your nirvana... but suspect you will have a long journey

• Like Like x 4
  8. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    You guys are right on the money, I shouldn't have kept buying Panasonics! I kept getting snared in G.A.S. with their "smokin deal" prices. I forgot to add the last nail in the Panny coffin, no native raw converter on camera or more importantly PC. By native I mean able to produce the same output as the camera, Silkypix cannot produce the same JPEGs that the camera can.

As far as lenses, I have the P14, P20, P14-42, P45-150, Sigma 19 & 30.

The E-PM2 sounds like it might fit the bill. Might be worthing giving it a go before I dump everything. I really was happy with the EPL1 in good light.
  9. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    ....because it's a forum to discuss? Does someone kill a kitten every time someone leaves M43? Honestly wanted to hash out why I'm thinking about leaving. I got my feelings "out on paper" and actually realized it was just Panasonic I didn't care for. Quite a few others (constructively) pointed out the fact that I might head back to Oly.

Coming from a guy heavy into B&W, I'll take that as a misguided comment based on the fact that you missed my complaint about colors.
  10. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    yakky, I've been in and out of m4/3s a few times, so I don't blame anyone for wanting to try something different. But given your history I would agree with others who are suggesting you try one of the newer Olympus models. Good choice between E-PM2, E-PL5 and E-M5 based on what you want and your budget. I'm suggesting that mostly because of the cost you'll have to bear to change systems. Better to make sure you want to move on than to sell everything and come back four months later. Trust me on that one! :smile:
  11. woody112704

woody112704 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2012
    I absolutely love my EPL-5 but I want either the EM-5 or EM-1 for the 5axis IBIS and the built in EVF. I always shoot Raw and I don't try to replicate the Oly Jpegs. But I would definitely say try one of the newer Oly cameras before dropping MFT altogether especially with your lineup of lenses already.
  12. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Ok... firstly you didn't frame your argument as being unsure about leaving of micro 4/3, but more of a flat out 'I have had enough'... i reacted to that
    from the perspective that there is nothing fundamentally inadequate in the micro 4/3... it is capable of producing images of a more than acceptable quality.

I saw your issue regarding colours..,, and while I have only one panasonic body, i have never found them fundamentally lacking in that area, though as you do point out I do like working in b/w, but explore my flickr portfolio you will find that I am not averse to using colour.

maybe we are coming from photography from different directions.. i work to make an image from what whatever camera is in my hand... you seem to work towards finding a camera that will make an image thats in your head.

both are valid approaches... but I know which one make me happy

My problem with discussions like this where advice is sought is that without a frame of reference regarding actual images it is so so hard to actually give anything useful

at a particular moment of time all cameras at a similar price point will produce similar results... its simple ..in terms of a tool, you get what you pay for... cameras dont take photos.. people do

• Like Like x 4
  13. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Did you give huelight's adobe color profiles a shot? Somewhere in between Oly and Fuji for color... I like using it even with my Oly cameras and it was really great for my NEX.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia

Should allow you to use G5's raws without extensive LR fiddling. And from what I have read, the G5 raws are pretty darn good. No need to sell anything then
  15. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    Anyone not happy with the G5 should check out Spatulaboy's pictures. Just saying.

• Like Like x 3
  16. SilenX

SilenX Mu-43 Regular

Jun 2, 2013
    I exclusively use the G5 and GX1 and shoot only RAW. I can attest to the fact that both camera's RAW files are extremely malleable when it comes to Lightroom.

I think yakky's issue here is he'd like to shoot only in jpeg. While my personal photography style doesn't really require jpegs. I personally like to massage the RAW files into what I want and what I tend to like. But, then again, I am younger and have the free time to do so. I know others who don't have as much time would like to shoot, know the jpeg is of good color and sharpness, and move on with a quick upload to Facebook, Google+, Twitter, etc.

To yakky, I'd recommend trying to find a E-PM2, E-PL5, or EM-5 based on your ability to toss funds at a camera. Moving camera systems is going to be a very painful experience in the sense of losing hard earned money.

This was taken from a RAW file from the G5 @ 45mm, f/2.8, ISO 160, 1/320s

And this... 45mm, f/4, ISO 160, 1/800s

Or this... 20mm, f/4, ISO 160, 1/640s

All these images look great to me, of course, everyone has their own tastes. It's a capable system, you just have to learn how to use it.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Given an interest in doing a little simple tweaking in LR, raw files from the G5 can be pretty much whatever you want them to be. Awesome!!

So keep the G5 (great camera) and enjoy those magnificent RAWS if you have an interest in doing a little tweaking (very enjoyable to many photographers... making the image just 'right' as one might do in a darkroom in the old days.) And doing so saves the continued effort and additional expense of yet another camera change.

You may not feel this way, but personally, I love fine tuning the RAW images I have created... no in-camera automation can come even close to tuning an image as it might be tuned to really make it 'sing'.

On the other hand, if you are stuck with just taking what JPGs are handed out by the camera, then pick up an EPM2, EPL5, EP5, EM5, etc. and you can get the programmed look in JPGs that you are after.

Abandoning m4/3 for reasons stated makes little sense to me.
  18. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    I suspect you don't have an IPS screen to post process your shot? Panasonic color, vs Oly?!!! are you shooting Jpegs? My pana body is doing fine, but I always touch the Raw WB in PP on a cheap IPS monitor that is.
    the 20mm MKII on gx7 color looks ok imho

I think the lens you use is affect the color balance way more than the difference in camera body maker!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  19. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY

E-M5. Buy one used. STUPID RIDICULOUS bargain right now. Prefer shooting it than any other camera in my arsenal (Nikon D800e, D3, Phase One Hassy's, etc). Furthermore, with the lenses you currently own, all that's between you and great images is you and finding the right tool!

Your assignment:

1. Stick around a bit longer

2. grab an E-M5 slap that Oly 20 on it (definitely one of the jewels in the format)

3. customize the camera so it melds with your shooting style / preferences and FINALLY

4. PRACTICE shooting with it!

Please report back upon completion.

• Like Like x 2
  20. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    I approve of this message! :2thumbs:
    • Like Like x 4