1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

I think I'm confused. How exactly does the VF-1 work?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by icase81, Feb 25, 2011.

1. icase81

icase81 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 22, 2011
    Philly, PA
    If I'm not mistaken, the VF1 has no electrical components at all, its just a cube with a certain lens in it that slides into the hot shoe.

How exactly do you make sure your shot is in focus with it?

*EDIT* Fail grammar is fail.

2. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Two options : either you believe your AF (better use only the center AF point, lock focus and reframe) or you do it 'ye olde way' by using hyperfocal.

3. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Ditto.

I use a center point for AF and use focus lock and recompose. Or use a depth of field scale on manual focus lenses and guess focus distance--you don't actually need to set to the hyperfocal distance, any distance can work. but it is easier with short focal lengths. The scales are off by two stops as well.

4. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    Which scales?

5. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    The depth of field scales on legacy lenses. If you have set the aperture to f/11, for example, use the f/5.6 scales.

6. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Mauve is right. I used AF with the target moved down 1 notch. It worked fine with the 17. Hyper Focal is the best way but not the only way...

• Like Like x 1
  7. MichaelShea

MichaelShea Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2011
    Algarve, Portugal
    The truth is that you can't be sure. It's helpful for composing a shot, but that's about all. Trust your camera or take the thing off altogether.

8. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Yep, you have to trust the camera is getting AF right. It is originally meant to be paired with the 17mm, but happens to match better with the 20mm. All it is, is an attachment that slips in the hotshoe, with two glass elements. Within the element, there is a 4:3 ratio etching, designed to be used for framing your shot, that is all it does. Although it was etched with the 17mm lens in mind, the actual etching is tighter than the shot you'll find the camera takes (this is actually quite typical of DSLR viewfinders as well, so that images can be cropped later if needed). The etchings however, are pretty much spot on with the field of view of the 20mm panasonic lens, making them a great pair. Unfortunately since m4/3 lenses don't have distance markings (i.e. hyperfocal marks), focus has to be left upto the camera, so you just have to trust it is hitting focus as you intend, which can be a bid downside to the VF-1 usefulness!

9. icase81

icase81 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 22, 2011
    Philly, PA
    Thanks for all the info. I think I just crossed it off my list of desired items. Much appreciated!

10. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    You can follow the guidelines here : DIY 35mm viewfinder

It should look like something like this in the end :

Homemade viewfinder

You'll then at least know whether it works for you or not before buying "the real thing".

11. dmc

dmc Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2011
    Beijing
    Good one! :rofl:

12. Good call