I think I'm confused. How exactly does the VF-1 work?

icase81

Mu-43 Regular
If I'm not mistaken, the VF1 has no electrical components at all, its just a cube with a certain lens in it that slides into the hot shoe.

How exactly do you make sure your shot is in focus with it?

*EDIT* Fail grammar is fail.

mauve

Mu-43 All-Pro
If I'm not mistaken, the VF1 has no electrical components at all, its just a cube with a certain lens in it that slides into the hot shoe.

How exactly do you make sure you're shot is in focus with it?
Two options : either you believe your AF (better use only the center AF point, lock focus and reframe) or you do it 'ye olde way' by using hyperfocal.

Hikari

Mu-43 All-Pro
Ditto.

I use a center point for AF and use focus lock and recompose. Or use a depth of field scale on manual focus lenses and guess focus distance--you don't actually need to set to the hyperfocal distance, any distance can work. but it is easier with short focal lengths. The scales are off by two stops as well.

MichaelShea

Mu-43 Regular
The truth is that you can't be sure. It's helpful for composing a shot, but that's about all. Trust your camera or take the thing off altogether.

pxpaulx

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Paul
The truth is that you can't be sure. It's helpful for composing a shot, but that's about all. Trust your camera or take the thing off altogether.
Yep, you have to trust the camera is getting AF right. It is originally meant to be paired with the 17mm, but happens to match better with the 20mm. All it is, is an attachment that slips in the hotshoe, with two glass elements. Within the element, there is a 4:3 ratio etching, designed to be used for framing your shot, that is all it does. Although it was etched with the 17mm lens in mind, the actual etching is tighter than the shot you'll find the camera takes (this is actually quite typical of DSLR viewfinders as well, so that images can be cropped later if needed). The etchings however, are pretty much spot on with the field of view of the 20mm panasonic lens, making them a great pair. Unfortunately since m4/3 lenses don't have distance markings (i.e. hyperfocal marks), focus has to be left upto the camera, so you just have to trust it is hitting focus as you intend, which can be a bid downside to the VF-1 usefulness!

icase81

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks for all the info. I think I just crossed it off my list of desired items. Much appreciated!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom