I think I would like to get a E-P5 but....

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by charcoalblack, Mar 11, 2014.

1. charcoalblack

charcoalblack Mu-43 Regular

Dec 26, 2012
    So i currently have an e-pl5 and e-m5 and I am happy with both of them. However, I would like focus peaking, wifi and 1/8000s, only camera that has that is the e-p5 or e-m1. I prefer to have an evf as my eyesight is not getting any younger but e-m1 is out of the question. Here's the issue, I don't want the wifey to find out. I thought I could switch the e-pl5 for the e-p5 without her noticing, but, I used the e-pl5 recently with her to do a "selfie" and I know she will realize it's not the same camera as the e-p5 screen doesn't go up that high.....what to do?
  2. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Focus peaking on Oly bodies have a long way to go.

The Wifi implementation is pretty good but not perfectly smooth on an iPhone 5.

Also, a camera is not worth lying to your wife.
    • Like Like x 5
  3. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    I love the focus peaking on the E-P5. It makes manual focus lenses a joy to use.

Maybe you need to get something nice for your wife too.
  4. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    E-P5 is awesome especially with the new update. You get a lot high end features like the,dual dials, 1/8000 shutter, and 5-axis all in s small compact body!
  5. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Since you have an E-M5, why don't you trade up the E-PL5 for a Panasonic GX7 and get the wifi, 1/8000th shutter, focus peaking, silent shutter and built-in EVF. You'd have the best of both worlds with the E-M5 & GX7!
  6. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I havent used the EP-5s peaking, but from what I read on these boards Oly hasn't implemented it as well as Panasonic. The GX7 lets you select from 3 colors, each with a high and low setting, so you get six color choices… anything from subtle highlights to "I can't see anything but the peaking" in the viewfinder.
  7. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Reza Travilla
    hmmmmm i use microSD card with adapter to SD card. So after i take pictures usually i put my microSD card to my mobile phone and export it. No need wifi :biggrin:

1/8000 seconds? do you really need it? how often you shoot in a very bright day?

About wife...hmmm buy her something. Make her happy first. Happy wife happy family :happy-084:
  8. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    I, too, lusted after ep5, but ended up buying an OM-D E-M10 and so glad I did. I love the wi-fi and find the focus peaking very helpful. 3x-IBIS great and don't miss the 1/8000. Have variable ND filter instead!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  9. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    What do people use the WiFi for? I know that it's a feature that so many reviewers say should be on every camera (including GPS), but if all you can transfer images to is an IPhone of Android phone, what is the real purpose? I would say great if I could transfer files to my Windows tablet when I'm out in the field etc, but a mobile phone?
    • Like Like x 1
  10. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    It also allows to control camera remotely (http://robinwong.blogspot.com/2013/07/olympus-pen-e-p5-review-wi-fi-features.html)
    And with last firmware update it works with PASM modes. That was one of the reasons I got EP5

Ver.1.3: The smartphone application "OLYMPUS Image Share" now supports continuous shooting, live bulb shooting, and P/A/S/M and shooting settings (shutter speed, aperture, exposure compensation, ISO, and white balance) adjustments.

To original post: there is no way a normal person won't notice difference between EPL5 and EP5
  11. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
  12. charcoalblack

charcoalblack Mu-43 Regular

Dec 26, 2012

yes, of course you are right. i already have 2 cameras, how many more do I need? Better work on becoming a better photographer.
  13. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Hey, none of that quitter's attitude around here. Two cameras you say? Tell your wife that they're laughing at your tiny lot of cameras on the mu-43 forum. Hell, I have five myself and I feel inadequate at times, plus I'm lucky to keep my fingers out of the shots and have my subject be halfway in focus.

I kid, I kid, obviously, hopefully. In all seriousness, the E-P5 is a nice upgrade over the E-PL5. Not so much in IQ, but the "little" stuff you mentioned in first post. I am shocked by how much I enjoy shooting from my iPhone or iPad.

As for wives, I am blessed with one who is oblivious to one camera vs another. I just keep them all black and try to avoid them meeting out in the open in a large group.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. rezatravilla

Aug 7, 2013
    Reza Travilla
    just exactly of what i said, use microSD card. But actually wifi feature can be useful like example when you sit on cafe and saw a beautiful cat or lady or etc. But you don't want to get notice. Just set the wifi in camera, slowly turn the camera to she or cat's side (find the perfect angle) then acting as you are replying your texts or email, push the shutter button on the phone. whoalaa you've got the picture! :biggrin:
  15. Hagane

Hagane Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2013
    Limburg, Netherlands
    To budeny: A "normal" person won't even notice the difference between a canon and a nikon... A camera is a camera and the EPL5 and EP5 look more or less the same to anyone who isn't into cameras.

To original post: lying to your wife about something as trivial as a camera purchase... nice trusty relationship...
  16. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    No camera is worth lying about ... to anyone ... so I guess you are joking with us.
  17. nixapatfan

nixapatfan Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2014
    I love my E-P5 but probably not worth upgrading to if you already have an E-PL5 and E-M5 unless you plan to get rid of both for the E-P5 then it would make some sense. Or just wait awhile I'm sure there will be a new EM-5 with E-P5 guts soon.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Figure out why you would want to hide a substantial camera purchase from your wife ... solve that problem ... live happily ever after.
  19. rezatravilla

Aug 7, 2013
    Reza Travilla
    Agree with u. Get rid both for EP5 and some outstanding prime lenses.
  20. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Thank God someone pointed out that "lying to your wife" bit! I was a bit discouraged it didn't appear on first page! What I do is I tell her my plan -- for example, I plan to sell the E-PL5 and add a few more dollars to get the E-P5. See what she thinks. Maybe she can even talk some sense into you, point out things that you haven't realized. Getting gear acquisition advise from this forum is dangerous. :smile:
    • Like Like x 1