I Think I Wasted My Money on Lightroom

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by nueces snapper, Oct 24, 2011.

1. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

I got a new computer and wanted it to be a clean machine. No migrating. There was that deal on Lightroom at B&H which would ( with some upgrading ) get me the latest version of Camera Raw for my EP3 so I went that way.

I should have just ponied up the bucks for CS5. Even though 90% of PS is useless to me. I managed to get LR to load some photos as seen on my Egret thread on the Olympus board and I processed them in ACR as well as I know how which ain't much, and even exported them OK and all is well. Sorta.

I've been studying Adobe TV tutorials with Julieanne Kost now and all I've gotten is buried in more info than my limited mental powers can absorb. Obviously LR is for serious professional ( smart ) photogs with thousands and thousands of images to catalog. There are at least a thousand ways to file all the attendant files and sidecars and this-and-that files. Its just crazy.

I'm going back to Bridge and PS.

When you are not that smart like me you have to learn things from the ground up. Bit by bit. Precept on precept. Why can't somebody write something in a step by step manner starting one out with the simplest most basic concepts and progress to more complex functions later. Or not at all. I just wanted to get to ACR and have a simple straight-forward file structure. Evidently that is not possible with LR.

I write this to whine ... and maybe warn some other old guy like me who just can't be bothered with humongous complexity. These cameras we use now are tough enough. :biggrin:
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I recommend giving it a bit more time before you throw in the towel. Lightroom is actually much simpler than Photoshop once you get used to it, and it will pay off in the end!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    Don't give up! Since getting LR, I no longer use PS or Bridge, at all, and I'm a hobbyist. If you can work PS/Bridge, you can figure out LR. It's so simple and elegant once you figure it out; it's like going from Windows to Mac OS. :smile:
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Richella

Richella The Wandering Scotsman

Aug 21, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    I wouldn't give up yet. Lightroom can be as simple or complex as you choose. I am currently conducitng a trial of Lightroom and have found a really good iPad app called Lightroom 101 Tutorials. They are very simple and well presented. Alternately I found the lynda.com tutorials on youtube really easy to follow.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Lightroom takes a little getting used to (as does Aperture) but once you do it is a LOT more suited to working with photographs than PS (and I have CS5.5 to compare it to).
    • Like Like x 1
  6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I would add -- don't worry about the organization stuff so much right now. Enjoy the developing tools. Are you shooting RAW or jpg. If I was shooting jpg, I might just stick with something simpler, but since you mentioned ACR, I would keep trying with LR.

There is a learning curve, though, so I feel your pain.

Try Lightroom Killer Tips, too.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Phoque

Phoque Mu-43 Regular

Sep 18, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Hey, don't worry about your age, I'm 35 and I thought I was not too dumb until I hit Lightroom too! I thought it should be easy since it has a GUI.

The tool is definitely not intuitive to me, that's what I found out. I am not comfortable with the file management.

I'm a bit lazy too. I just checked and there are a series of resources to learn how it works: Adobe - Photoshop Lightroom: Learning Lightroom, I guess I should give it a honest try before making up my mind about it. So many people love this tool, I'm sure there are good reasons to that.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. nueces snapper

Thanks All

I appreciate the encouragement.

Maybe one of you can help me with a current problem I have: Aside from saving a group of files to my Pictures folder as LR would regularly do I also saved the same files in another folder as .dng files thinking PS4 and ACR could open them. No go however. Did I neglect to click some box or other in the Export dialog of LR or is it perhaps something else?

Thanks. :thumbup:
  9. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    I think Photoshop is the mother lode of all post processing software for photo's.
    While you can not organize photos into folders etc., you can process "till the cow's come home", Light Room doesn't come close to Photoshop w/ ACR installed. There's a very high learning curve to Photoshop, but there are many tutorials available, and within a little time you can become very proficient in post processing. There are many plug-in's available that make Photoshop even more versatile, and even though it's more expensive to purchase, the extra money gets you a lot more capabilities. I don't use Light Room anymore for those reasons.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Phoque

Phoque Mu-43 Regular

Sep 18, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    *cough* *cough*

I'm sure you meant
  11. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    I don't want to hijack the thread, but I think my wants may dovetail with the OP. I want a stand alone program like Lightroom without all the library management stuff attached. I tried a trial of lightroom and it crashed my computer. Now when I try to run it, it looks for wherever the library is (which doesn't exist) and then it shuts down. I've been fine for the last couple of years without a program telling me where my files should be.

Does a program like I'm seeking exist? Really, I just want to adjust light and color.....I don't see why I should pay a couple hundred $ for that.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. nueces snapper

Know what you mean. Thanks for the suggestion. It may be a gui but all those little symbols point to complexities beyond the common mind's ability to grasp. The genius behind this software must be in the immeasurable league. Of course it is the product of many many bright folks but somebody somewhere had to understand all of it to get it all to mesh. :hail:
  13. nueces snapper

I'm leaning that way. I really don't need to do much to my pics. Heck, I'm usually happy with Oly's jpeg output. Ya just get hooked on the idea that EVERYTHING is still there with a RAW ( or Orf ) file. But then you have to screw around with EVERYTHING.

It sure seems to me that ACR in PS is a better and easier interface to work with.
  14. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    I agree.. I haven't used Photoshop in a while.

However- If you are looking to sell yours, let me know- I have a buyer.

PM me.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    I find Photoshop/Bridge simple to use. Lightroom is OK, but it like you to work the way it wants you to work. Different folks for different strokes.
  16. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Lightroom is a huge thing for me, though I've developed a bad habit of turning the sliders up to technicolor :biggrin: I use Corel Paintshop Pro for my real image editing, which is okay but not great*. I wish I could spend the cash for Photoshop but I've gotta save the money for other software (stupid Autodesk monopoly). It would be nice to easily jump back and forth between LR and Photoshop, but at some level I'm also glad, because it prevents me from trying to create surgically correct images. Useful skill with stock or something, but not good for art.

* It's not bad and a lot of image touch-up is easy to do. The noise removal might be better than LR, actually. But there are little issues: it can't summon enough memory to save my 100 MP images. It crashes every so often. Working in it can be a little slow. Some of the options are deeply unintuitive, and I'm a freaking 3D graphics engineer.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Two words: Photoshop Elements
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Don't ignore the file management in Lightroom - it will pay off in the long term when you need to find those pictures. You can organize the folders any way you want, locally and on a network. You are not locked into the default settings. And the ease of filtering on the metadata has made finding the image I am looking for much easier.

I just got a new laptop and it is easy to copy the catalog between systems.

I do agree the interface can be kludgy in some areas, especially how they handle scroll bars.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    That is what Bridge is for.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. pawzitiv

pawzitiv Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2010
    First, while I don't know how you file and catalog your images, I see little advantage to keeping the same image in multiple folders just to keep your native image files separate from DNG files. LightRoom works very well in keeping all versions of any given image together in one folder location using "stacks". Keep your DNGs together in the same folder(s) with your native image files .. it's much simpler.

Initially, I wouldn't worry about the DAM (digital asset management) aspect of Lightroom. Keep things simple as you first delve into Lightroom. I also struggled at first with how Lightroom's file management works, having come from a dedicated DAM program as well as Adobe Bridge. I spent a whole Saturday to figure it out using Scott Kelby's book .. I am far from being software savvy. Once you get your head wrapped around how Lightroom can manage your image files I think you'll eventually prefer Lightroom to Adobe Bridge.

Incidentally, I tried exporting a DNG file from Lightroom (to the same folder location as the native file) and even Photoshop Elements 5 can open it. If your install of PS4 can find the DNG file, it should be able to open it.

I've used Photoshop CS2/3, PSE5, Silkypix and Capture One previously and now all my post-processing is done exclusively using Lightroom, including Nik and Topaz plug-ins. Do give Lightroom a chance .. the initial learning curve will be worth it.
    • Like Like x 1