I think i need therapy !!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Livnius, May 28, 2012.

1. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Yep....my brains are fried !!!
    Just spent the last half hour trying to make sense of the mess that is the Olympus EM5 menu system. Calculus at Uni made more sense to me than this. The menu system of my GX1 was as intuitive as I could ever hope a camera could be.

Word on street though is, once you crack this nasty little Da Vinci code and customize the camera to suite that it becomes quite easy to manage. Allegedly.

I have a headache now so i need a lay down....tomorrow I'll give it another crack.

.....now where'd I leave the aspirin ?
    • Like Like x 3
  2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    You might have a look at DPR's E-M5 guide. It describes a lot of the more useful settings, and provides some suggestions.

• Like Like x 1
  3. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Heh...I find it fairly intuitive in use, to be honest. The only 'issue' is the crazy amount of customization available, so it's more a problem of figuring out what I want the darn thing to do. Still tweaking button functions as I go!

My favorite menu system by far remains Canon's EOS interface (tabbed, easily navigated, fairly logical), Panny's on the GF2 is fine, but no better or worse than the Oly interface. Only gripe so far with Oly is their poor implementation of MySet...oh for a custom mode (or three) on the dial...
  4. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I was looking at one on the weekend Joe and unfortunately the battery was flat so I couldn't actually turn it on. So if I bought one I'm guessing it's a bit of a shock coming from the controls on the GX1?
  5. 6x6

6x6 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2011
    Your first Olympus?
    It happens to everyone and one gets used to it.
  6. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Hey Brady.
    Bit of a shock indeed ! It is not even remotely close to the layout of the GF1/GX1 menu system. As you know I went from the GF to GX and that transition was seamless, you are no doubt aware that the GX1 is essentially the GF1 with a bigger ballsier motor underneath the hood and a chunkier better grip. The EM5 menu system is to me, utterly alien....and to answer your question 6x6....yes, my first Olympus.

I'm sure that with practice, patience and a lot of reading/research over the next month I will get on top of it, it's just a matter of becoming familiar with how the many layers of options and sub menus relate......a nice neat flow-chart type diagram would handy here.

FWIW.....coming to grips with this new world of Oly menus isn't my biggest concern, my real concern is that I am one of those fortunate enough to not have freeze/blackout issues with Panasonic lenses !!! ....i'd be just about ready to put it up for sale in a flash if my PL25 or P20 start locking the camera up or creating other problems as many seem to have experienced.

WRT why I got the EM5......I guess I just wanted to see for myself what it was like and experience first hand (rather than via endless internet debates) all the fuss about about metering, WB and IBIS.......and with all the people on the forum discussing EM5 stuff, it would be as good a time as any to learn.

I know you are off on a great big trip to the US at some point Brady...only my opinion, but if that trip is just around the corner....I'd personally hold off on the EM5 until you get back ! No other reason than for a big important trip such as a tour of the US, I'd rather use a camera that I'm REALLY familiar with and can operate blindfolded than to expose myself to something totally alien and spend good shooting time sitting in my hotel room reading through manuals or on my iPad trying to find answers online !! BUT thats just me, remember, I'm a photography newbie and have only shot Panasonic m43 and $100 point and shoots on full Auto before that......you may take to it like a fish to water.

lol. yep. :redface:
  7. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I get mixed up going back and forth between Panny GH2 and Oly E-PM1/E-P3. For the most part, I've just set a few of the options based on recommendations here, then use the Q menu (Panny) and SCP (Oly) for the important stuff. As long as I can compose, focus and adjust aperture, shutter speed and EC, I'm good to go. Options are nice, but...
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia

Yeah it's just going to be a case of feeling a little lost until I can get my head around the basic structure of the menu layout. Once I can visualize where something is and how to access what i need it'll be smooth sailing. It's a good thing, getting to learn a new system and way of doing things, I'll be all the more experienced and knowledgeable for it.

Just as well I have 7 months before my snowboard trip to Japan....time is on my side :)
  9. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    No worries Joe, I'm sure we'll be seeing amazing images coming from your EM-5 in no time!
    • Like Like x 1
  10. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Joe... Hang in there buddy... I know the frustration with Oly menus after being a Pany shooter... Much prefer Pany menus, but you can get comfortable with Oly. And as Chuck mentioned, you can get shooting quickly and easily after making a few settings and then dont need to spend much time at all in the menus. You will be making wonderful images quickly! :smile:
    • Like Like x 1
  11. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    it was the operation that made me choose GF3 over Oly Pen, I don't expect too many operations, GF5 has one additional button than GF3, which is almost perfect except for the grip and sensor
  12. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I'd stick with the default button and dial settings at first - they're not a bad starting point at all. Just make sure you enable the super control panel (not easy, but follow directions in the DPR instructional article) and then you'll have pretty much instant access to 99% of what you need to access. Then you won't have to use the menus much at all and when you need to figure out some specific item, just spend the few minutes to figure THAT out and don't kill your head trying to understand the whole complex mess at once. Because you don't really need to and it'll just make you crazy.

I've had 5 Olympus cameras now and each one of them was a PIA to set up initially. But once set up, each (with the exception of the all-button interface of the EPL1, which I NEVER warmed to) was a pure joy to use. The menus are there to give you a LOT of options for how you want your camera to work - they're not there as something to be accessed often. Learn the default button and dial settings, find the super control panel (it will be your friendly guide!) and just start using the camera. Leave the menus alone and they'll be there when you need them for some specific change or fix.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    I think that's good advice Ray....I'm not about to go mental and try customize the whole thing in one big hit, chances are I'll not be able to trace my own steps and just get tangled up. A bit of time just shooting with it and getting accustomed to the layout and all the various new (to me) icons and menu layers will be a big help....at least that way when I go tackle the customization of the SCP I'll have a basic idea of what's what.

It'll be fine I'm sure, I'm actually looking really forward to it despite my initial "what the ...?!?!"
    Besides, if it doesn't work out and I don't connect with the camera in 6 months time, I'll always be able to pick up a GX1 again and I'll sell my EM5 to Gary who'll no doubt still be waiting for his pre-order to come in !!! .....arrgghhhh !!!

Btw....the feel of the camera in hand will take some getting used to as well, I'm finding it doesn't 'hold' quite as well as the GX1 with its pronounced rubbery grip. I may have to consider a half case of some sort. And another thing.....man that tilty screen is awesome, love it, I had such a blast walking around the yard yesterday simulating shooting stealthy from the hip/chest style....now that tilty screen I am going to LOVE big time.
  14. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    The way I know more about OM-D EM-5 cryptic menu is by helping member in here who asking simple question regarding the setup and menu because Olympus didn't include the full printed manual world wide. Coming from EPL-1 and GF-1 I think EM-5 is only medium difficulties level for customization. :)
  15. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    You made a reference to customizing the SCP but I hope you didn't mean that. You cannot customize the SCP, unless this is something new to the E-M5. THAT would be a really cool workaround to menu diving especially for bracketing!
  16. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thankyou Joe for your detailed reply. I've been happy with the GX1 but I haven't felt the connection with it like I did with the GF1. And now along comes the OM-D and since I've seen in it in real life I've been smitten with it's looks. But I'm guessing looks aren't everything.

For me the advantage with the OM-D would be the evf and in body stabilisation.

My trip to the US is in September so I have a few months until I leave. I've been thinking about the OM-D for the last few days now and it's getting worse.
    Either it's a good idea or a silly idea.

Personally, how do you find the image quality compared to the GX1?

I wonder how many shots you'd get if the evf was used 90 percent of the time compared to the GX1 using the LCD.

I've never deliberated so much in my life. My mind is in overdrive, I wonder what it's gonna be like when I get a girlfriend:)
  17. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Just to reiterate, you DON'T "customize" the SCP - the trick with the SCP is just to ENABLE it, to make it functional, to TURN IT ON! Which the DRP article explains really well, but its under "gear menu" D and then under "Control Settings". And then you have to go into whichever modes you want it present in and turn it to ON for each. I never use iAuto or Art or Scene modes, so I only enabled it in PASM, but its not a bad idea to turn it on in ALL of them as to avoid confusion later if you find yourself playing with the art filters and suddenly the SCP isn't there when you press the OK button. Once you enable it, and press the OK button, it'll come up and you'll see that you can get at just about every adjustment you'll need without ever going back into the menus. If you haven't already done this, do it NOW!!! Then the camera will be your friend... :biggrin:

Do this and then just work with the camera for awhile, and then when you want to change what one of the dials does in, say, Aperture Priority mode, THEN you can dive into the Button and Dial Controls and start customizing what the controls do. But only if you're not happy with the default settings. They're not bad - I've changed the function of the red video record button to pull up ISO, but otherwise I haven't changed the buttons much. I have changed the dials a bit, but you don't need to do that right away - only if you feel the need.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    It gets better, Joe. It gets better :friends:.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    I went to an Olympus OM-D event at a local store today. Kinda late, they just got demo units.

I mainly went to see how I can get along with the E-M5 going from the GX1. I was pretty impressed with the camera overall, IBIS & overall ergonomics. EVF is fast enough, quality was adequate but not impressive. Difficult start as nobody knew how to turn on the SCP (and I was getting lost in Control Settings once it showed me the exposure modes, hadn't read the DPR User guide recently). Eventually opened a web page and read that.

I was also spoiled since the demo unit I was using had the full grip which I wasn't planning on getting, however I really liked it with the horizontal grip. I don't see myself spending $360 for a grip with a second battery.

I definitely wasn't annoyed with the UI as I was with the E-P3 I tried a while ago (maybe someone had customized it stupidly), I couldn't even find how to change between the SS/Aperture or Aperture/Exp comp on that. None of the buttons I had tried would do it: not OK, arrows, not FN, I then gave up and was glad I got the GX1 which is SLIGHTLY more intuitive (tried clicking the wheel as well, not too forcefully)
  20. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Thanks guys.

Ray.....a huge thanks to you, reading your most recent post in this thread along with the DPR article, the penny finally dropped as to exactly what this SCP thing was and the role it played in my control of the camera. The candle has been lit and suddenly the first big piece of the jigsaw puzzle has been placed.

I thought your trip to the US was a lot sooner hence my suggestion at sticking with what you are already familiar with....September is another kettle of fish though and is probably ample time. Mate, I'd be a total fraud if I was to even attempt to give you an educated, hands-on comparison of GX1 v EM5 IQ !!!! I only just got the Oly and haven't had a chance yet to fully figure out some of the more basic operations let alone sample any images. I took a couple of quick snaps around the yard yesterday just to get a quick feel for the camera and haven't uploaded or looked at any of the shots....to be honest, as I shoot only RAW I probably won't bother with any of the images until I get my hands on LR4 which should be early next week. JPEGs aren't my thing so I haven't made the effort. What I have done, and I'm sure you've done the same, I've been paying a lot of attention to image samples I've seen posted here and elsewhere on the net, and from what I gather (mind you this is only my opinion) ....I believe for 90% of normal shooting the differences in IQ between the GX1 and EM5 will be so close as to be negligible. I'm sure that if you pixel-peep every single image that you take you will no doubt find subtle differences here and there, but the bottom line is as far as I see it, that they are both really excellent cameras, both the GX1 and no doubt the EM5 are more capable of delivering consistently excellent results than what I am able to consistently deliver as a photographer !!! That covers the 90% of shooting ....now to the 10%.

From what I have seen, the EM5 opens up certain opportunities that the GX1 I felt couldn't....and that more specifically in my case is, more flexibility with low(er) light/slower shutter speed shooting. In all previous Panasonic-Oly Pen comparisons I never felt that the difference was as tangible as what it is now. It always looked to me in the past that any advantage the Pens had in IBIS was more than accounted for by the Panasonics with sensor tech......with sensor tech now being a level playing field, the advantage gained from the new improved IBIS is now...tangible. Again, I believe this only effects that 10%. But for me it was about other things too. I knew i would always try an Oly at some point.....the combination of sensor, IBIS, tilty screen, weather sealing....all kinda added up and I just thought ahhh bugger it, I'll give it a shot. A big part of my decision was based on my experiences snowboarding Canada and all those times I had to miss a shot to shield my GX1 (or keep it in my backpack) from the falling sleet and snow, or from my buddies when I'd be trying to take close-up action shots of them carving big powder turns and spraying plumes of ice and snow my way............I love getting out there and taking shots in those environments. The same applies for going hiking/camping/fishing or even tagging along with my mates when they go on their deer hunting treks....we do all these things in often cold/wet/snowy Victorian High Country.....I so badly want to take my camera to these things but never do out of fear for the equipment......that's why I'll probably be amongst the first suckers to get one of the new Panasonic zooms :)

The EVF versus LCD ? ...oh man I'm so biased on this issue because I love using the viewfinders.....I'm probably upwards of 90% but that may change because the EM5 tilty screen is pretty freakin' cool.

Hey, it's only technology.....don't deliberate, I say if you're curious about a new bit of kit then just go for it.....if you don't like it you can always change. Girlfriends on the other hand should be chosen and courted with more consideration.

.....hang on....wait.....I'm pretty sure I got that the wrong way around !!