I think I need an upgrade

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by LegacyLens, Jan 16, 2013.

1. LegacyLens

LegacyLens Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2012
    Ok so I have been away for 6 months and many new cameras have come out. I would like suggestions for an upgrade to my awsome e-pm1. The criteria are:
    -able to use cable release ( or wireless)

-has live bulb mode (might be only om-d I just don't wanna pay for the om-d price so that's optional)

-has more mega pixels and better noise handling

2. LegacyLens

LegacyLens Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2012
    I am also thinking of buying a nikon d3100 for long exposure shots. Please tell me if that fits my criteria better than all :43: cameras.
  3. Leif

Leif Mu-43 Regular

Sep 28, 2012
    The E-PM2 and E-PL5 have live bulb as well.
  4. nylife

nylife Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2012
    e-pl5, but i am biased i have one :)
  5. aidanw

aidanw Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2012
    Wellington, NZ
    I also went from EPM1 to EPL5 (after considering the OMD) and very very happy with the upgrade.

I loved the small size of the EPM1 and felt the OMD - although extremely capable with useful extra controls - was just too large.
    Especially as I've downsized from Canon SLR gear, this would've been too much of a regression in size for me.

The EPL5 is slightly more bulky than the EPM1 due to the folding screen. I also feel more "precious" about it, as if it's more delicate.

The image quality is a huge leap forward. For example I had Auto ISO set to 1600 on the EPM1, but at 6400 on the EPL5 and sometimes use higher than that.

I use the flip out screen far more than I expected.
    It was worth paying the extra money for that and the mode dial over the EPM2 for me. The mode dial has helped me enjoy using the camera seriously.
  6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The E-PM2 and E-PL5 would both fit all your criteria and are available for much cheaper than the OM-D E-M5. I think the choice is pretty simple. All that's left to decide is if you want to pay more for a tilt screen, or if you want to pay less and get a slightly slimmer package.