1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I think I might be an Olympus fan boy

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by memzinla, Mar 12, 2013.

1. memzinla

memzinla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm actually not sure what exactly a fan boy is, but I think I'm an Olympus fan boy. hahah. I wouldn't say it's the best brand (or maybe I would lol). I wouldn't ignore the truth and accept the good features other brands do have though (I wish it had the video capabilities of the GH3).

I think I might be biased though because my first "pro" camera was an Olympus E-520. I learnt so much from that camera, and still have a lot to learn. I've realized that my favorite pictures have been taken with that camera. The quality just seems so good. The colors looked really good in my opinion out of the camera.

I moved on to a Canon T2i, and loved it because of it's video capabilities. I kept thinking about the my Olympus that I ended up selling to my cousin. I wasn't planning on selling my T2i, but a cousin in Mexico offered to buy my T2i. I was hesitant at first, but then I thought it was the perfect time to buy an OM-D.

I bought the OM-D in December of last year, and got to travel with it to Mexico, Disneyland, and Las Vegas. I have to say it's a good travel camera. The size allows me to take it anywhere without feeling like I have a camera with me. IBIS allowed me to keep ISO low. The only downside I could think of were the lenses. The ones I wanted seemed expensive.

I sold the OM-D in February because I found a good deal on a Canon 6D that I couldn't pass. I bought it without really thinking. I had read and looked at the high iso images and was super impressed. When I bought it I was very happy with the Canon 6D with the picture + video it outputs. I like to carry the camera with me all the time, and one day I took the Canon 6D to school. I had it with me all day, and while the Canon 6D is not heavy, I didn't like the feeling on my neck at the end of the day. It made me think about what I wanted, and asked myself if I wanted to compromise image quality for size. I ended up putting the Canon 6D for sale, and now I just bought an Olympus OM-D again. If I was able to afford both I would. I think they complement each other. :D

I think I'd go craaaazy if Olympus made a full frame camera. :O

Why is f a n b o y blocked? :O

2. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I seem to have become one by accident...

My first Oly was a C5060W that I was gifted after my Ricoh GRDI jammed beyond repair.

My next was an E-3 that I got when a great second-hand deal came up when my Pentax DA* lenses were away being fixed again...

My current is an EM5 that seemed the natural choice when moisture killed my GH2.

Oddly, I've never really intended to get an Olympus from the outset, but it's still the only brand that I've owned more than once...

And then there's the lenses. I think Leica is the only manufacturer that incites quite the degree of lens lust and an Zuiko. I like my Panasonic's, I love my Zuikos.

3. memzinla

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hahah. I kept wondering if my first pro camera wasn't the Olympus if I would still love Olympus now.

What Pentax lens was sent for repairs? Was it the 16-50mm?

Hahah that's interesting. They must be doing something right. :D I was also surprised with the lenses. The kit lens from the E-520 seemed very good. I was very happy compared to the kit lens on the Canon T2i.

4. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    16-50 and 50-135 - both went back several times for assorted reasons...

5. memzinla

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hmm. I've read a lot of issues regarding the 16-50. I really wanted that lens when I had the K-5 II.

6. dino1891

dino1891 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2013
    I came from canon full frame as well. I am tempted to buy a Canon 6d or Nikon D600 with the constant price drops. However, I think I am forgetting about how inconvenient it was to carry around a DSLR as opposed to m43.

7. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have become a fan boy pretty much in the last 5 months.. having purchased 4 bodies since. I use each one of them for different focal lengths. Waiting on the 4th tomorrow the E-P3... Unlike most folks, I bought the older gens... I primarily use Cmounts, Pentax 110 Glass & a couple Pentax K-Mount MF glass. I also have a K-5 with a DA* 55 & Pentax Fisheye...

So as much as a Pentaxian I was, I quickly became an Olympian :2thumbs:

I like both brands and dont see any reason to sell off the K5 and any of the PEN Bodies...

8. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Fan boy is blocked because when people call each other that its generally only intended as an insult. And generally only shows up in flame war threads.

FWIW, I'm an Olympus fan boy too. And a Fuji fan boy. And a Ricoh fan boy, maybe, if they keep making cameras. And a Panasonic fan boy for their compacts - loved the LX5 and LX7 even more - although oddly I've never really bonded with their m43 bodies, although some of the lenses are great.

I just really like cool cameras that encourage me to use them and so far those are the ones that push my buttons in ways that make me want to push theirs.

-Ray

9. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I'm a M4/3 fan boy. :2thumbs:

10. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I don't know for sure either (what a ****** is), but I get the impression it is not a very complimentary descriptor.

11. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    I am a real fan of how my back feels when I carry my micro 4/3 kit. I still miss some of the things that my canon 7d could do that my Olympus can't, but life is all about compromise.

12. Mat - MirrorLessons

Mat - MirrorLessons Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2013
    Turin
    When I will have the money to buy the couple 12-35mm + 35-100mm f/2.8, I will probably replace, for some of my works, my Nikon D700 + 28-70 f/2.8 & 80-200mm f/2.8.
    So much lighter and confortable to use.

13. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    My discovery came about when a colleague asked me to investigate what Olympus has been doing at the Photo Expo we had here late last year. Otherwise, I would have passed the booth by.

Olympus was a brand that I had no interest in since having owned an E-10 back in the day and one of Olympus' breakthrough digital point and shoots way before that.

The fact that I was able to obtain a 300mm lens; 600mm equivalent, was a large factor. Canon long glass was simply out of reach $.

14. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    To me the term f@nb0y applies to someone who is loyal to a fault, and will overlook or ignore logic in defending whatever it is a they are a "fan" (short for fanatic) of. They lack objectivity in relation to the object of their fandom and they will turn any (perceived) flaws or shortcomings into virtues. They are also known to be hostile to anyone who doesn't happen to share their affinity. As Ray explained, the term is used more often as an epithet and that is likely why it is banned here.

Given that description, I'm not sure this is something you want to aspire to, nor do I really think that it applies to the OP. Obviously everyone here is a "fan" to some degree or other of :43: and/or Olympus or Panasonic, but don't call me a f@nb0y.

15. memzinla

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah the price of those full frame cameras are dropping fast. I think I'll end up buying the Canon 6D again in the fall when I can afford to buy other lenses as well.

Edward do you like your Pentax? I did get to try the Pentax K-5 II for a couple of days, and at first I didn't like it at all. The focusing was slow compared to what I was used to with the T2i and the OM-D. I bought the Sigma 30mm F1.4 for Pentax, and was shocked at how fast it focused with that lens even in near darkness. After that I fell in love with the camera. I was only unhappy with white balance, it seemed to be off most of the time.

Ahh ok. I knew fan boys would be used as a fan of only one brand, but I didn't know it was used as an insult. That's interesting. I should change the title to an open minded fan boy then, or an Olympus super fan. haha.

What I'll miss the most from other cameras is the OVF. I just can't get used to the EVF.

16. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Colorado
    There's nothing wrong with fanaticism as long as it's "this stuff is awesome" and not "your stuff sucks". The OM series of film cameras and lenses, the 4/3 glass, all the ยต4/3 products - awesome. Olympus is on a roll, especially lately, I can't wait to see what they put out this year.

I'm a fanatic, but a fan of many brands (to the detriment of my wallet). I love my OM-D and would love an E-5 or E-30 successor with the OM-D sensor, but I also would love a GH3 kit with f/2.8 zooms. I could even get excited about Nikon and Canon and Sony gear, despite the heavy weight and high cost.

Literately and figuratively - it's all good. What an amazing time to be a photographer!

17. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Olympus cameras to me are sort of the underdog, sleeper brand. I think the appeal for me is all the tweaking and modular features! :tongue:

18. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Olympus te products, sure...Oympus the company though has a long way to go!

19. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah. I dig my k5. I like the Pentax menu system. And the in body SR. Right now all my AF glass is for the Pentax. And MF glass for my OLYs.

20. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Maybe we need a support group.:grouphug: I've also noted an unusual number of Pentax users drifting toward Olympus, certainly more so that the relative number of Pentax users would suggest.