1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

I think I made a mistake!

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by MrDoug, Sep 22, 2011.

1. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Yesterday I was out shooting with my new EP3 and decided to try some of those ART filter settings.. sheesh. I never thought I would do that, but did and wow.. I came home and downloaded photos with Art Dramatic Tone vs same shots with normal and vivid settings.. I was like this is good with Art.. and Today did the same.. now the normal settings seem drab, washed out and I am like.. what shall I do.. shoot Art Dramatic all the time? LOL or find a way to use normal setting to produce same contrast and pop as the Art settings.. bottom line is the Art Dramatic Tone makes my normal settings look AWFUL.. TERRIBLE.. I know they are manipulated but the pop and contrast is FANTASTIC.. I think.. what is your take..? you have to notice the Dramatic difference..
    Doug :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  2. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    The Dramatic Tone art filter is my favorate art filter. When I first got my E-PL2 with this new filter, I took it for a short trip and took all pictures with the camera set at Dramatic Tone. Some of the pictures come out overdone, but often times, they produce interesting results for an otherwise mundane shot...

Nowadays, I sometimes set the art filter bracketing on with Dramatic, Pinhole, Grainy B&W and Vivid, and check which one comes out best later (You need a large memory card though)...

3. petach

petach Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 18, 2011
    UK
    this thread is worthless without pictures :eek:)

• Like Like x 1
  4. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    I'm in the same boat! I'm constantly worried that I'm overusing Dramatic Mode and it doesn't help that those photos always seem to gather the most 'likes' from my fb friends!

5. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Chicago
    Agreed!

6. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    When I was first trying the EP3, I was shooting EVERYTHING in art filter bracket mode with the dramatic tone filter. EVERYTHING. I suspected I'd get sick of it but I didn't for an alarmingly long time. Then I did. Now I never use it. Starts looking too fake. Now I look at some of the photos I took in those first few weeks and they look really bad to me. Fortunately I still have the clean jpegs that I can go back to and reprocess in SEP2 or just leave clean. I did find some processing tricks in SEP2 that got me a similar look for when I want it, but without completely blowing and smearing so many of the shadows and highlights.

Its a sort of cool look, but like every other trick, its just a trick and it wears thin.

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  7. Christilou

Christilou Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 25, 2010
    Camberley, Surrey
    I never used any of the filters on my EP2 but since I got my EP3 I,ve gone mad bracketing each shot sometimes with five different filters! I was drawn to the EP3 as soon as I saw Ray's shots using D.Tone and used it extensively on my five week trip to Spain this Summer, it always produces some interesting shots, particularly when the sky is always such an endless blue and, dare I say, boring LOL! Since I got back to the UK I'm using it much less.

8. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Oh dear, bracketing filter effects is OK to find out what they will do but for serious photogaphy art filters, like any other creative option, should only be used when you have previsualized a use for them, thinking "That would look good in Dramatic Tone," for instance. Shooting every shot with a filter and no forethought is the very worst way to use them.

9. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Particularly when you can achieve similar, but better, results in PP to almost any of them. In which case, they stop making any sense. Dramatic tone and grainy b&w were the only ones I ever remotely liked and I can do both better after the fact 99% of the time.

-Ray

10. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Dramatic pictures:drama:!

11. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Please share the rest of the rules with us for serious photography - we'd hate to be breaking them...

I get what you're saying, and I don't especially like art filters, but it doesn't have to be an "oh dear" moment because people are having some fun with their gear.

• Like Like x 3
  12. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Just make sure to never go to Nik Software and download HDR EFEX Pro any of their other products for Aperture or Lightroom (oh yeah, and there is a mu-43 discount)! Oly Dynamic Tone art filter, the gateway drug...

13. kundalini

kundalini Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2011
    I've also played with the Art filters and decidedly received some guilty pleasure from them.

No Filter
    [​IMG]

Pop Filter
    [​IMG]

Dramatic Filter
    [​IMG]

I probably won't over use them, but the filters does break up the monotony at times.

• Like Like x 5
  14. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Except with the Nik plugins, WE get to create the recipes, rather than relying on the software folks at Olympus. I love that stuff - I'd say about 90% of my stuff that ever sees the light of day has been run through Silver or Color Efex Pro.

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  15. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    B&W I do manually through GIMP.

I do like the dramatic tone on the E-PL2. It's quite interesting. Since I do mostly landscapes and nature, I like to keep things looking as real as possible.

16. I think that 90% would be a low-end estimate for me these days.

Just wait until the E-P9 is released :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  17. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    I just checked out the Nik link.. I have thought about it before, but if I buy that I will be mixed up, more than I am now.. oh my.. it's fun stuff though..keeps me out of the Bars.. LOL

• Like Like x 1
  18. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Silver Efex pro does it for me.

I am currently on a B&W spree with my GF1 and all my images are shot in Raw, basic conversion in PS then converted to B&W using Silver Efex pro - what a great software package..........for me.

The_deluge.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Communication_lost.

• Like Like x 2
  19. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    "Hi, I'm Steve and I use art filters . . ."
    "Hi Steve . .."

Really, I think this is great. If you like that results of using the art filter, then you are absolutely right to use them. I like the examples in this thread. I think overuse followed by a period of rejection and then a gently dampened oscillation toward a happy combination is the way to go.

• Like Like x 2
  20. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    This is precisely *why* I love the dramatic filter. I know I could probably do an even better job in pp, but I couldn't see the image that way at the time of the shot. The ability to frame and compose with the filter makes it a creative tool rather than an afterthought toy.

• Like Like x 1