I think i just got an killer deal, any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by CaptureLights, Dec 8, 2015.

1. CaptureLights

CaptureLights Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 4, 2014
    I just snatched up an deal for an reasonably good price... i believe.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated. Here's my situation.

I used to have an GH2 and GX1, but now i only use my GX1 for the things that i shoot on m43 camera.

Last night, i saw an deal for the Olympus E3 with O 7-14 F4, PL-D 25 F1.4, and O 35-100 F2, and i brought the whole system with tones and tones of accessories, i mean like 16 oem battery type of tones....

My thought of the moment is to just use the E3 with these lenses and try out the system, and then maybe later, get an adapter to use these lens on the M43 system?

Have anybody tried these lenses on the current O/P bodies of cameras? how good do they perform on these newer body? and which current body would you recommend to uses on the older 4/3 lenses, as in, getting the most out of these lenses.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
  2. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    How much did you pay for all of it?

As for current m43 bodies, if you want to have fast and accurate AF, then your only option is an E-M1 from Olympus. Every other body is painfully slow, if it even acquires focus.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I am using the 14-54 mk II and 7-14 F4 and the work just like the old days, but that is on the EM1. Really the only legitimate option at this point. The E3 is a solid camera as well.

4. CaptureLights

Dec 4, 2014
    I paid a little under the listing/asking price of the em1 when em1 was first introduced...

So em1 is my only choice for m43 as of current?

Has anybody used an E5 before? how does that compares to the EM1?

5. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Olympus OM-D E-M1 vs Panasonic Lumix DMC GX1 vs Olympus E5 | DxOMark

The E5 performs about as well as your GX1. Similar dynamic range, but the GX1 is better in low light by about 1/3 - 1/2 a stop.

The E-M1 has much better color depth and dynamic range.

6. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

I use my 14-54 regularly on my E-m10, the focus is plenty fast enough for the everyday stuff I shoot. This combination is not for sports photography, but is plenty fast for shooting the grandkids at their hyperactive best. For landscapes and nature photography, the higher IQ over the kit lens more than makes up for any autofocus speed issues. And when you factor in the E-M10's really excellent manual focus capabilities with the legacy 4/3s lenses, I don't feel I'm lacking anything.

My legacy 9-18 focuses FAST on the E-M10 When I bought the EM10, I took all my lenses down to the shop and tried them out on the E-M10 body I actually bought and compared them to their rough native m43s counterparts. Neither myself or the sales clerk could see any noticeable difference in the focusing speed between the legacy 9-18 and the native m43s 9-18. Image quality of the legacy was higher in my opinion (though not a HUGE difference).

The only legacy lens that is objectionably slow to auto focus was the 40-150 kit lens that came with my E500 2 lens kit. It struggles even in good light. However the lens is SO insanely sharp, and I use the lens so rarely, that I am reluctant to replace it with a modern lens. Again, the excellent manual focus capabilities of the E-M10 make using this lens quite do-able.

To sum up, the minor issues I have with using the legacy lenses on the E-M10, are more than made up for by the excellent image quality they bring to the table for no additional money.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. CaptureLights

Dec 4, 2014
    which adapters do you all use?

there's three versions from olympus and one version from panasonic. they all function the same without compromise?

8. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I have an MMF3 now after trading up from MMF1 & 2 and also had 2 Panasonic DMW-MA1's. They all function the same. The MMF3 is weather sealed. Frankly the MMF1 and Panasonic felt the sturdiest (more metal than plastic..heftier)...but they all perform the same. I only got the MMF3 for the weather sealing that came with a used lens purchase. I'd buy the one you can get the best deal on, unless weather sealing is a priority.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    I think you got a killer deal if all of them were priced lower than a single E-M1 body alone. All 3 lenses are the SHG (Super High Grade) and 2 of them are weather-sealed. The E-3 was probably thrown in as a freebie.
    Unless you have the E-M1 body, all these lenses won't perform up to native E-3/E-5 speeds. However, this will change in 2016 and onwards, making the E-M1 not the only body that can do PDAF/CDAF hybrid focusing.

I own and still shoot with an Olympus E-1, E-5 and E-P5 (m43) with an MMF-3 and with both the 14-54 and the 70-300 and I never felt the 4/3 lenses focus really slow. It certainly won't focus as fast as on my E-1 and E-5 for sure, but is still usable on the latest m43 body for static objects. I got a E-5 used mainly because it was way cheaper (50% less) than a used E-M1 and for sports photography, the 11 cross AF sensors is better than the E-M1 which does not have any PDAF cross sensors. The E-3 has 11 PDAF cross sensors also. So for fast moving and Bird In Flight stuff, the E-3 and E-5 are still capable and since you have a 35-100f/2, adding a 2.0x teleconverter with it will make it a 70-200 f/4 lens eq to a 140-400mm lens in full frame term. I would say, keep the lenses and use it with your E-3 until such time when the E-M1 Mk II comes out and will lower the used price of the E-M1.

In terms of image quality wise; the E-3 is still capable in daylight.
    David Young, one of our local Wildlife photographer residing in British Columbia, Canada used an E-3 for the majority of his work and had been shown in galleries around the world and have clients hanging them on the walls even in Dubai. So in a way, the E-3 is very capable of creating great photographs under a capable photographer. David Young had since moved on to the E-M1. Read his reviews and his thoughts about the E-3 and E-M1.

Wild Bird Photos-#1 by David Young

In my personal use, I found that I have the best of both worlds -- My E-5 as a Sports action camera and my E-P5 as a low light and landscape camera. I wish I had gotten the same deal as you did especially the 7-14mm f/4! I'm looking for the 4/3 version because it is weather-sealed. It's important to me since I live in the WET west coast of BC and have weather-sealed bodies and lenses is a nice treat!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  10. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Now if it were me, I'd sell everything you just bought and try to make a little profit. Then buy what you really want/need in m4/3.

Or, If you really want to switch to a DSLR, don't pick a dead system that hasn't had a sensor and lens update since 2009.

Just my opinion, though.

11. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    It's hard for me to disagree...

Certainly I would try and part out the 7-14/f4, 25/f1.4, and E-3 and to get back what I paid for it all. And then maybe keep the 35-100/f2, since it's a pretty unique lens.

I really like my HG 11-22/2.8, since there isn't anything I could find that comes close optically for the <$200 US I paid for it. But that's a fairly significant caveat. I would consider the 12-40/2.8 PRO to be a strict upgrade in almost every sense (though I would miss the 11mm wide end), but it costs 3-4x as much. So there's that...

12. CaptureLights

Dec 4, 2014
    you are all right, the decision to either keep using them or sell them is a painful process to go through now.
    • on one hand, the only negative i don't like about the set up is the weight and how humongous the whole system is. the e3 system plus the pl-d 35 1.4 probability weights more than the full frame 5d plus 50 1.4; the thought of lugging about the camera and 3 lens is already giving pain to my neck/back...
    • on the other hand, all of these three lens are very capable. i've read somewhere that 35-100 f2 can stand its own against the newest canon/nikon 70-200 in terms of IQ and that 7-14 is also crazy good. I've personally used the pl dg 25 1.4 before on m43, and if the pl-d 25 1.4 is just as good or better, then all three of these are certainly high quality lenses.

13. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    I think tkbslc's point is that given the (surprisingly!) high selling prices that many 4/3 lenses still fetch on sellers like eBay, you can replace most of those old lenses with the modern M4/3 equivalent for the same price or less. Looking at the prices from completed listings, cost of the Leica 25mm/1.4 4/3 to M4/3 would be a straight trade, possibly even profitable for you. Selling the SHG 7-14/4 would let you buy the Panasonic 7-14/f4 for nearly half the price, or the brand new Olympus 7-14/f2.8 for just a little bit more. The 35-100/f2 is maybe a special case, but it still sells for $1000 USD by itself, so you could trade directly for the Panasonic 35-100/f2.8 or put in a little bit more for the Oly 40-150/f2.8 which are between 1/2 and 1/5th (!) the weight and will have vastly faster autofocus speeds. The E-3 only really sells for ~$200-300, so it was almost "thrown in" with the lenses, rather than the other way around.

Basically, you can think of it as get a complete, modern professional lens kit with a fast ultrawide, fast telephoto, and fast normal prime for the same price as an E-M1 body. That's a heck of a bargain, even if you were mounting them all on your existing GX1 (which is still superior image quality-wise compared to the E-3...)

It really just depends on your priorities.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Woo hoo, great bargain! A great deal even if it included only a couple of those lenses, like the 35-100 f2. That's a keeper.

Add: Ditto with others. If you want to use those lenses with an M43 body, the one to get is the E-M1.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I don't think it makes sense to sell the 7-14mm and get a new one unless the size is unbearable.

Barry

16. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    It's hard to find quantitative information comparing the two lenses, since the 7-14 SHG was so niche, rare and expensive.

Conclusion - Head-2-Head Micro 4/3 Lens Review: Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm f4 vs. Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm f4

But from the sounds of it, it's not categorically a blow out win in favour of the SHG 7-14. The Olympus is sharper in the center and has less distortion (as it is not corrected digitally), but the Panasonic has better flare performance, and has less edge smearing. And if you can get around the field curvature, some people seem to the think the 7-14/2.8 PRO is better still compared to the Panasonic, while still being a lot lighter than the SHG lens.

Autofocus performance and general usability due to the size should be night and day with the newer lens, of course. I find it much more difficult and frustrating to manually focus ultrawides, since unlike a longer lens the in-focus plane is not obvious, and so you can end up with a lot of images that look good through the viewfinder - even with focus peaking - but are not in critical focus unless you magnify every shot.

17. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    @Turbofrog@Turbofrog, the ZD 7-14mm focuses very well on my E-M1, even indoors.

I'd like to have a smaller, faster version, but the price differential is large.

Barry