1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I think I damaged my 12-40mm lens

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by barry13, Feb 15, 2016.

1. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi,

EDIT: I FOUND THE PROBLEM; THE LENS MOUNT IS BROKEN.

I recently dropped my E-M1 with the m.ZD 12-40mm lens mounted, about 2 feet onto concrete. :( The only immediately noticed effect was that the lens hood popped off, and one corner of my E-M1's Arca-Swiss plate has lost its paint or coating. There is no external damage visible on the lens.

However, after shooting on two different days, I noticed many of today's pics look like they have a tilt-shift effect.

I'm guessing it's a decentering issue. I tried some tests at Testing for a Decentered Lens: an Old Technique Gets a Makeover but I am unable to reproduce it at home now.

None of the pics with another lens had any problems, so I don't suspect the sensor stabilization, etc.
    It only appears in some pictures, so I think it may be FL or FD dependent, or something is simply loose inside and moving around.

E2146581.
    12mm / 2.8 1/4000". Note the bricks at right are OK, but the far left and bottom are a mess.

E2146582.
    40mm / 2.8 1/2500". Note the ground and railing at bottom left, and note the crosswalk gets worse on the right. Also compare the white truck with the streetlight post and barriers and guy in orange.

Questions:

1. does this look like decentering or a different problem?

2. would Precision Camera or KEH or another vendor likely be able to fix it?
    Any idea for how much?
    I'll need to check with my insurance to see if they'll cover it if it's over the deductible.

Thanks,
    Barry

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  2. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    E2146593.
    12mm / 2.8 1/8000". Note bottom right vs bottom center and left.

Also compare the 2 hands, 100% crop:
    E2146593-100pct crop-1.

3. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hi Barry, sorry to hear you dropped your lens. Any chance you have it in art filter diorama mode? Best to eliminate that as a possibility.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Upon further examination, I now see that the lens mount is broken, under the weather-sealing O-ring. If I put pressure on the top of the lens, it starts to separate.

I guess I have a tilt-shift lens now.

I guess this is better than decentering, as it seems that it is near impossible to fix that in many mu-43 lenses (without replacing the entire optical assembly/unit, according to various sites I'm reading).

So, it looks like the repair cost is probably reasonable; I'll have to contact Precision Camera and KEH and get a couple quotes.

Barry

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  5. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

I can't help with question 2 but something definitely looks like something is wrong...

I dunno if it helps but I dropped my GM1 on it's head (about a metre onto slate tiles) just after Christmas and crushed the top plate around the pop up flash... I managed to panel beat it enough to restore functionality but now I can't stand the sight of it and find myself leaving it locked in a cupboard at home when I go out - sort of like a redheaded stepchild...

Have you tried the lens on another body...?

6. Tony Rex

Tony Rex Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 6, 2015
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Tony Rex
    Bugger. Hope the repair won't cost you too much.

I just bought a PD cuff a few days ago at full retail to replace a Wiimote strap (yeh, I know). I'm not gonna complaint so much now..

7. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    As far as I remember, Olympus has a flat repair rate in the US and it's less than $200.

• Like Like x 2
  8. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Yes, I think that's right, thanks. It doesn't always include parts, but the mount probably isn't expensive.

I have a Rokkor lens that has a stuck aperture & needs a CLA, so I'm going to see if I can find one place that is qualified to do both lenses.

Barry

9. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Has anyone here dealt with Precision Camera directly instead of going through Oly USA?

I was extremely dissatisfied with Oly's communication and turnaround time (vast delays due to communication failures) when I sent in my E-M1 for the rear dial and rear rubber grip panel.

Thanks,
    Barry

10. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Ouch. Sorry to hear that Barry. Hope it gets fixed OK.

• Like Like x 1
  11. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oh dang... sorry to hear about another 12-40 with a broken mount. I thought those stories were well behind us!

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    Sorry to hear that. Hope you get it back soon and cheap.

• Like Like x 2
  13. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I was hoping to find a single place that could fix the 12-40mm as well as do a CLA on my 58mm f/1.2 Rokkor... However Precision Camera says they can no longer get Minolta parts (I tried telling them it doesn't need any parts), and all the other places I called can't get Oly parts.

Anyways, I'll be sending the 12-40mm to Precision Camera, their flat rate is the same as Oly USA -- $131 incl return shipping. They couldn't tell me if there will be an additional parts charge or not as they didn't seem to know how much the mount parts cost.

I'll probably be sending the Rokkor to V-Photo of Atlanta; they charge $42 for CLA of telephoto primes.

Barry

14. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    @Barry, if you have not sent the Rokkor yet you may want to check out the repair business below.

Kurt's Camera Repair Inc
    7811 Mission Gorge Rd,
    San Diego, CA 92120
    Phone:(619) 286-1810

• Like Like x 1
  15. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Shit breaks...when you drop it, you do realize that, right? Especially when it hits concrete, which is not forgiving...at all.

BTW (to the OP) sorry that you dropped your camera. Hopefully it won't be too expensive to fix (or take too long). I'd miss my 12-40 if it was gone too long.

• Like Like x 2
  16. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I received my 12-40mm back today from Precision Camera; the mount is fixed, and I also had them replace the filter threads, (total $131+tax) but the zoom is now very stiff and noisy (rough sounding) between 18-38mm, then it suddenly loosens at each end.
    It definitely wasn't doing that when I sent it in... I had been using it for about 2 weeks after I dropped it before I realized the mount was separating and the operation seemed normal.

I'll have to send it in again. :(
    The shipping + insurance is over $20; annoying.

Barry

17. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    Sorry to hear this. Seems like something they should have checked before they sent it back. Hopefully this will not cost you anything more than the $20 and the additional time away from the lens.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  18. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Update - PC agreed to a 'Re-Do' and they gave me a return shipping label (it took a couple phone calls and over 3 days for me to actually receive their emailed label), I dropped it at UPS the morning of 3/18.

Nothing had showed up on their web site's status page... it was finally updated today; it now says they received the lens on 3/25 and it is in 'Delay' status asking me to call them.
    I called and they said they're "waiting to hear back from Olympus" so it seems like they're not sure what to do next. They're aware it's not under warranty. I asked if they were able to confirm the problem and the rep just read what I had written, so it's unclear.
    They say they'll call me back when they have news.

I'm not very happy about all of this.

The last time I dealt with PC (indirectly) was when I sent my E-M1 in for warranty repair for a loose rubber grip and flaky rear dial. The process was very slow (weeks) and I had a very hard time communicating with Oly support re the warranty status (it was just past the warranty period) and the repair status.
    I now think much of the problem was probably with PC, not just Oly support.

Barry

19. MaK543

MaK543 Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2012
    MD USA
    Sorry to hear your story and wish I had seen this thread earlier.
    I would not use PC as my repair shop unless I have no other choice. The last time I had them fixing my Pentax lens, they scratched the front element. Their rating on Google is also very poor.

20. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I tried to get quotes from other shops (as I wanted to get a Rokkor lens fixed simultaneously), but 2 who formerly serviced Olympus told me Olympus USA won't sell parts to them anymore.

Barry