1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I think i (almost) got a 20 1.7 free ;-)

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Yves D., Mar 26, 2012.

1. Yves D.

Yves D. Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2010
    Montréal, Canada
    Hi, i just want to share this,

For the last few weeks, i see a new Gf1 with 20mm 1.7 announced at $799 cdn on a website retailer here in Montreal where i live. I was an early buyer of this combo when it came out, loved it but had to sell it and end up with a Canon s95. I went front a Nikon dslr to a M43 (Gf1) and then to a s95. Well that was too much (well not enough ;-) and i was waiting for the Oly Om-d to be available to get back in the M43 bandwagon.

I go back on the website yesterday and see the same combo announced at $628. Well i made my decision and decide to buy the thing.
    I went to the store this morning and the retailer tell me It was a mistake and $628 was for the body only and the lens by itself was over $400. They didn't have the Gf1 and 20mm kit in stock, just their last brand new Gf1…at $628
    I skip the (very friendly) talking and negotiation to say that they nicely propose to still sell me the body $628 but add the lens for free to honore their offer on the web :)

I might sell the body in a month to buy the Om-d and keep the lens. I was mostly interested in a Gf1/ 20 combo deal to have that lens at a good price.

Glad to be back in the M43 world :)

2. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Amazon has 'em for $999. Good deal.

Gary

3. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Good work on that lens. You may want to keep the whole set-up. The used market for the gf1 without the 20mm is beyond soft.

4. Yves D.

Yves D. Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2010
    Montréal, Canada
    Yes that's a option too. Keep the Gf1/20 and add an OM-D and 45 1.8. :smile:

5. scotttnz

scotttnz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 16, 2012
    I bought a GF1 and 20mm kit on clearance last month for NZ$627 (the original price on the box was $1996 so they had it on the shelf for a while.) I kept the lens and promtly sold the rest of the kit for $340. :) The lens by itself sells for around NZ$749 here.

6. Yves D.

Yves D. Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2010
    Montréal, Canada
    This is the price i had in mind if i decide to sell the body. My S95 is already on sale for $250. After selling the Gf1 body plus my S95 for around $600, the 20mm 1.7 come down to $100. Cant wait for the OM-D to hit the shelves. :smile:

7. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    I think you'll have to be very patient to get about $340 for body only, as was mentioned prior the GF1 resale has become very soft. Most willing to pay that price would only do so to get the 20, which your keeping. I hope the best for you, but I'm pretty sure that you'll end up owning the GF1 unless your willing to accept $200ish. Not that that the GF1 is a bad camera, but it is 1st generation, and they are now selling 4th generation so your market is limited. I wouldn't make the purchase personally, as your paying more than I did for the same kit over a year ago, and the body went for $380 after shipping costs unused and brand new I think you'd be better off to just buy a 20. Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

8. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    Yikes!!! And I thought Panasonic gear was overpriced here in Canada as compared to the prices down south.

9. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    So did they actually agree to sell it to you at that price, or did you just ask?

10. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    I bought my 20mm lens brand new from Adorama earlier this year for $339.00, I dont understand why people are paying more than this s/h, if I could find it in a US dealer at this price then obviously none of the ebay buyers are bothering to look around! :)

So to the OP, if you had waited and bought the 20mm from adorama or B&H or even kenmores (they all will price match if prodded) you would have been more in front than paying 628 for a lens and GF1 :)

11. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Fully agree. I would never pay USD 628 for GF1+ 20 mm Panny but if OP is happy then thats it . I would buy lens itself only and then look for a newer generation MFT body like EPL2, GF3 etc.
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

12. scotttnz

scotttnz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 16, 2012
    Yes we do pay a lot for Panasonic, and a lot of other gear down here. Goes with being at the very end of the supply chain in a remote corner of the world. Panasonic Singapore buys from worldwide, Australia buys from Singapore, NZ buys from Australia. Often it is cheaper to buy online from B&H, even after paying shipping, but then there are warranty hassles to consider.

I'm still trying to work out why Adobe thinks we should pay 50% more to download lightroom from the same server in the US that everyone else downloads from though???

13. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    The 20mm is probably one of the most celebrated lens in Micro 4/3. I'll keep it as long as I can.

14. Yves D.

Yves D. Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2010
    Montréal, Canada
    Yes they agreed and i bought it. The more i play with it and the less i think about resell the body :smile:

15. Yves D.

Yves D. Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2010
    Montréal, Canada
    I was looking at my pictures taken with my canon s95 lately and i then looked at those taken 2 years ago with my "old" Gf1 and the panny 20 and i must say i agree with you. I know there is better body/sensor/iq etc... out there. But i'm happy with the iq of a Gf1.

16. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    :2thumbs: