I think 20mm 1.7 and 25mm 1.4

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by xdayv, May 26, 2012.

1. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    can co-exist in my kit... talk me to it, just need a little push, I'm on the edge... :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Redridge

Redridge Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2012
    One for stealth, the other for being a cream machine.... Both have it's uses.

• Like Like x 2
  3. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    I would try it and see. If after awhile you feel like one or the other just won't get used sell it. Both keep their value very well.

For me, just the 25mm works out better.

• Like Like x 1
  4. brianb032

brianb032 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2011
    N.Carolina
    Or the 20 for a small body and the 25 for a more serious one.

• Like Like x 1
  5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I have the 20mm but I think that eventually I'll end up selling it to buy the 25mm. I already have the Only 45mm and adding the 14mm would make the 25 a better fit. I could use the 14 if I want the pancake size. I just don't see the advantage to the 20/25 combo - sorry! :redface:

• Like Like x 1
  6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Go for it!

I had the 20 for 2 1/2 years, got the 25, and thought I'd never use the 20 again, so I sold it. About 4-5 months later I needed to travel light, and bought a 20mm, and sold the 25 to fund it, thinking there was too much overlap. But the 25 is so gorgeous and so fast, that I bought it back. Wasted some money swapping them in and out. Should have just kept both, so now I have them both. They really are different lenses!

• Like Like x 3
  7. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    I think they are both great lenses and I can't stand the thought of having to let either one go, they are both that good. The PL25 is resident on my camera body, I love how it works optically and I just love it's slight bulkiness and the balance it brings to my camera. But on those occasions when I want something very similar to what the PL25 gives only a little wider.....I have the P20 at the ready, or when I want something similar to what the PL25 gives only a little more compact and discrete, .....again, the P20 is at the ready.

The P20 essentially moonlights as my alternate PL25 when the situation calls for it. The 20-25 focal length I guess suites me and I like to have access to both it and a large aperture regardless of whether I am in normal shooting circumstances or whether I am for whatever reason going in 'compact' mode.

Ideal solution ? Panasonic release a mkII version of the 20mm ....only it's a Panasonic Leica 20mm/1.4 that would be super fast and sized somewhere in between the current P20 and the PL25 ....lol, but now I'm just being greedy :redface:

• Like Like x 2
  8. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    I'm trying to not rebuy the 20. Hopefully a mkII of the 17 or 20 will make a stronger case for me to keep my 25 and 17/20. Sometimes the 25 feels too chubby on my E-M5/GF1.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hacker

Hacker Mu-43 Rookie

May 25, 2012
    Cyberspace
    I bought the 20mm even after having the 25mm lens. It is closer to the 35mm view which I prefer. The Oly 17mm is average at best, and the Voigtländer 17.5mm is large and non-AF.

• Like Like x 1
  10. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I started with the 25 and added the 20. The FOV of the 20, for me, is a very good, general purpose lens and the small size makes for a very compact package on either the E-M5 or E-PL2.

• Like Like x 1
  11. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Dave
    this is what i'm predicting, I might end up selling and re-aquiring... but i'll wait 'til the lens is officially part of my kit and take it from there. I might keep both.

:biggrin:

12. I thought about the 25/1.4 for all of about 2 minutes when it was released. The 20/1.7 is just such a good general lens. A little bit wide, a little bit "normal". If I'm going out with one lens, that's what I pick. If I'm on a side trip of a couple of days when traveling, that's what I take, just the E-PL1, VF2 and that lens. Don't even take a bag, just sling it over my shoulder and I'm good.
    But, if you have the money spare...why not?

• Like Like x 1
  13. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    I have had the 20 for quite a while now and don't use it much.The slow focusing bothers me even though I use manual focus lenses a lot.I am awaiting delivery of the 25 which I expect to use a lot.I do plan on keeping the 20 as a travel lens because of it's smaller size.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The 20 is nice for the price though slow to focus, the 25 is great but a little bit bulkier with better focusing.

• Like Like x 1
  15. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    dave,
    go for it. chances is you'll spend more time with the mistress... :biggrin:

size wise; the PL25 seems tailored for the G3. my mZ17 or P14 now make
    the G3 feel naked when i mount them on. :tongue:

IQ wise; i really like "Leica-feel" and the bokeh in the images produced by
    the PL25. :2thumbs:

just posted a couple G3+PL25 shots on the PL25 image thread.

• Like Like x 1
  16. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I'm hoping for a 20/1.7 mk2 where they redo the focusing system. But it may be a while.

DH

17. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    ^ i hope they incorporate the "L" glasses/technology then.

18. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Dave
    jim, this is getting worse. I'll check on prices first thing next week. gggrrr...

19. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    dave,
    but the images will get better.... :wink:

b&h is selling the PL25 at $539 and the P20 at $359 (but no stock). i say it's
    a steal if you compare the price we get in malaysia. the PL25 is around $750
    to $800 and the P20 is around $480. i kid you not!

i hope you are getting better prices in the philippines.

20. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Dave
    thanks jim, just what i needed - some prevailing prices to compare to when I scout for one.