I sure need your help to get better!

Liquidvamp

Mu-43 Regular

biza48

Mu-43 Regular
I like #1, but it would be better without the pole behind the person's head. Small detail, but very important.

My favourite is #4, good framing with the two hill hugging the bottom of the tree branches.

Other photos are nothing special to me.

Liquidvamp

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks you've got a good eye. I didn't notice that in pic 1. thanks for pointing that out.

Cruzan80

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Sean Rastsmith
Personally, I lose sight of the kite in 3 because of the dark clouds. Maybe rotate to keep everything in the sunlight? Not a huge fan of the green cast in 4, like the composition but the color cast doesn't add anything for me. In the last, the hair gets muddled with the neck and lower cheek (too much red in close shades). Perhaps cooling the WB slightly, or shooting a bit more to the right, to get her face in a 3/4 instead of a profile?

Liquidvamp

Mu-43 Regular
Personally, I lose sight of the kite in 3 because of the dark clouds. Maybe rotate to keep everything in the sunlight? Not a huge fan of the green cast in 4, like the composition but the color cast doesn't add anything for me. In the last, the hair gets muddled with the neck and lower cheek (too much red in close shades). Perhaps cooling the WB slightly, or shooting a bit more to the right, to get her face in a 3/4 instead of a profile?

Thanks for your response. I'll keep that in mind next time I shoot some photos.

DanSullivan

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dan Sullivan
first and last are my favorites.

#1: I like the light-to-dark across the frame, and the shadow is well-placed. The post behind the head is a problem; I also find the lights at upper right distracting and break up the nice light gradient going to the right.

#3: too much other stuff going on with the other people and the odd-shaped hills drawing the eye away from the real subjects, which should be the focal point.

Last one is nice, could use more emphasis on the face; maybe crop out some of the right.

esnift

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Dan
I agree with what others have said.

My 3 cents:

With #3, I think you were correctly sensing the a 'capturable' moment there, but maybe just needed to work the scene a little more. I feel like if there was a shot from a lower perspective, shifting a little to the left, and slightly tighter crop it would have had more impact as 'Father and son' and not father and son and weird hills and people in the background and random tree on the left and a bunch of grass. Of course I wasn't there so that may not have been an option.

#4 is my favorite. I would have liked to see the hill on the right finish its slope, but that's just personal preference.

I would like #5 more if it were more committed to being a side profile shot or went the other way and caught more of her left side. It's kind of in-between the two as it is and makes the left eye look all deformed (I apologize if she actually does have a malformed eye, but then a side profile would have made even more sense). This one in a side profile with a slightly tighter crop so the leaves were there, but not so overpowering would be a very pleasing image.

Liquidvamp

Mu-43 Regular
Thank you so much guys that's why I need people to criticize my work because sometimes i don't really see some of the stuff that I need to pay attention too. I like your suggestions.

@esnift I didn't notice the "deformed eye, until you pointed that one out. I was kind of surprised to see that one also.. :) The thing is, I already cropped that photo. That was not the original position of the pic I rotated it, and cropped her body so I can tightly frame her face and the leaves and made the pic more interesting.

For the lower perspective on pic 3 I already got a similar one here it is:
15691311405_e97d6f8e95_c.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Kite Boy! by Gradius29, on Flickr

Latest threads

Top Bottom