1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

I still treasure my e-pl1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by isabel95, Nov 16, 2013.

1. isabel95

isabel95 Mu-43 Top Veteran

I love this boxy little camera! It was my introduction to micro43 photography. I would love to have the 12-40 Olympus or 12-35 Panasonic lens but just can't bring myself to spend that much money right now.

Last night I decided to try the Olympus 14-42mm II lens in low light with two Sylvania 72 watt Halogen bulbs in table lamps and two 65 watt tungsten floods in ceiling).

Since the lens is not very fast, especially when it's zoomed and the aperture shuts down to f/5.6, so most of my images were taken at ISO 3200.

I like the results of the in-camera monochrome picture mode, used here with these settings: Contrast +1, Sharpness +1, B&W Filter Neutral, Pict. Tone, Neutral and Gradation Norm.

I shoot in both jpg and raw, so I still have a color image to work with.

I find the OOC color form the e-pl1 to be more pleasing than that from my e-pl5.

original.

Isabel

• Like Like x 6
  2. qoo77

qoo77 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2013
  3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Very nice! I sold my E-PL1 to a relative but hung on to my E-P1. I prefer the extra controls. :cool:

4. isabel95

isabel95 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Thank you, RevBob. I'm still using my digitals from "way back" to ancient digital times - just to keep their batteries going, but in all honesty, I think many of their images hold up well against those from today's technology.

• Like Like x 1
  5. woody112704

woody112704 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2012
    Iowa
    Jared
    The Epl-5 is my first serious camera, but having gone through the Epl-1 image thread I can't help but wonder if the OOC color is from the switch to using the Sony sensors.

6. Shutterdad

Shutterdad Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Big D
    Jody
    For me, I don't need a camera with all the bells and whistles that's being offered today. The Epl-1 is still a capable camera.

7. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    The EP1 and EP2 had a much stronger AA filter than the EPL1 and EPL2. I loved the output from my EPL1. So much so that I used ot in preference to the EP1 and EP2 i had at the time.

Unfortunately mine died. Otherwise I would still get some use. I had the Olympus housing for it. Now that was fun.

Gordon

8. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    The E-PL1 jpegs are brighter overall than any of the newer 16 MP Sony sensor Pen cameras and the fine details in the images (like tree foliage) are resolved more crisply.
    So IMHO the E-PL1 jpegs are more appealing than any of the newer 16 MP Sony sensor Pen cameras. The 16 MP Pens shoot much more detailed video, however, than
    the E-PL1. The OMD E-M1 may offer the best of both worlds; i.e. E-PL1 quality jpegs as well as good video.
    wkrl.

9. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Mine sits on the shelf as an emergency backup should the EM-5 crash. :frown:

I've tried the "two body carry" and dislike schlepping the weight of the second body, although in the right venue I could see value in having different lenses mounted on the EM-5 and EPL-1 to speed up "lens changes".

I read somewhere (on this forum :confused:) that manual lenses mounted on the EPL-1 will show a "shimmy" when properly focused but I've not found that to be the case with my Nikon nifty fifty on the EPL-1, so I've not found the EPL-1 to be my "manual lens" body of choice.

I have the VF-2 along with the 14-42mm and 40-150mm lenses for the EPL-1 and I probably should list the entire kit in the 'for sale' forum so that someone who would give the camera it's just due could enjoy it. The problem with that is that I'm soooo very lazy and would have to box and ship everything...:frown:.

It's a capable enough camera, but I habitually grab my EM-5 when heading out the door...leaving the poor EPL-1 pining to be used.

I'm glad to see others are getting such good results out of their EPL-1.

Regards,

Jim

10. The E-PL1 still holds a special place in my heart, and after I sold it I never got much use out of the Panasonic 20mm anymore which I also ended up selling just recently. Those two were a great combination. I can't say that there is a single area where I thought the E-PL1 IQ was better than the current generation, but you could still coax a mean image out of it. I also agree that the sensor changes between the E-P1/2 and the E-PL1 were a step up.

11. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    Hayward, WI
    William Barnett-Lewis
    I like my E-PL1 and think I'll probably worry about getting more m4/3 glass before worrying about another body. As for backup, well that Canon 7 rangefinder I am getting will be a great one. ISO 400 silver halide sensors don't need batteries ;)

12. RickVaughn

RickVaughn Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    My first camera lens combo was an EPL1 and Oly 45. When I sold all of my m43 gear to fund other gear I held on to the EPL1. Well, I've decided to come back to m43 and though I can't afford one of the newer bodies right now, I just ordered a black Oly 45 to use with my EPL1.

13. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    Never owned an EPL1, but still own an EP1 and an EPM1. The EP1 is not as sharp as the EPL1, but I still like using it due to the form factor of the Pen body. Maybe one day it will be an museum piece if the electronics hold together inside:)

14. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    The PL1 was the 1st mft camera I experimented with after taking back a P1. I found the picture quality overall remarkably sharp and detailed with the color winning me over. I at the time, had a Nikon D300 and D7000 with pro glass. I ended up divesting most of my DSLR stuff when the EM5 was released. I never looked back. Here are a few I took that won me over on a trip in which I left all my DSLR gear at home just taking the meager PL1 with it's kit 14-42 lens (which did most of the shooting) and a Panny 45-200. These were both taken with the kit lens. original. original.

• Like Like x 2
  15. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    We still have two E-PL1 here at work. They certainly get the job done. Whenever I use one, however, I'm reminded of how small LCDs used to be.

16. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    The 2010 model E-PL1 banished two long standing stigmas about digital cameras: 1) that they always produce soft looking images vs the razor sharpness film cameras when equipped with fine grain film. 2) they always produce artificial looking rather than lifelike colors. Although the LCD screen of the E-PL1 is small in size, I find I can judge exposure more accurately than I can with the OLED screen of the E-M5. Apparently the E-M1 is equipped with an LCD type screen which is another reason I may get that camera when it becomes available (B&H is still backordered).

17. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire
    It is still a very viable camera if you use good lenses and you will get great photographs.

18. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    Rick
    I use mine with the 14 and 20mm pancakes, as a Ricoh GR AND Fuji x100 alternative. I can even get it into a side (not rear :) pants pocket. Plan to keep it as long as it functions.

19. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    The EPL-1 was my intro to M43, great camera for pixel peepers as the details are just so crisp.

20. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Still have mine too... it does pretty well competing with the em5 for my attention.

Sent from mobile.... excuse my typos