I sold my E-P2 and bought a Bessa R3A

Richard W

Mu-43 Regular
Got to say, one of the best camera stores I've ever come across and genuinely honest in all of their dealings. What's the citation about?

Cheers

Ray

I can't recall the exact details ( I read the citation in full about a year ago), but he either performed a citizen's arrest or at least stopped some weapon carrying thieves from escaping after a daylight robbery, without any concern as to his own welfare.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
I can't recall the exact details ( I read the citation in full about a year ago), but he either performed a citizen's arrest or at least stopped some weapon carrying thieves from escaping after a daylight robbery, without any concern as to his own welfare.

Thanks, I think that explains a lot about his general character and it reflects in the way he runs the business (I get the feeling that it's a father/son type of arrangement). I'm glad that I've supported Mainline for so many years.

Cheers

Ray

JoeFriday

Mu-43 Regular
yes, ZI means Zeiss Ikon.. a 35mm rangefinder that hit the market about 4 years ago. They are rather nice for the pricetag (at least compared to a similar Leica), having the best viewfinder of all the rangefinders.

Gwendal

Mu-43 Veteran
Hello - very curious about your choice. What is the advantage of a rangefinder over a digital camera, that makes you have both ? Is it a subjective matter (the feel of shooting with it etc) or are there "objective" advantages as well - IQ ? Is it an interesting option only if you develop your rolls yourself ? just for the record, I'm not trolling, it's just that I am waiting for my Bessa R2 to arrive, bought it because it came with a lot of Voigtlander lenses I was interested in for my EP1.

AJShepherd

Mu-43 Rookie
Good choice! I love my R3A, I've had it for several years now. They're splendid cameras.

To answer Gwendal, above, the thing I find is that using the Voigtlander makes me stop and think more. It's very easy with any digital camera to shoot away because if you take a picture of something then realise immediately afterward that it would look better from a different angle, you can just go do it.

With a camera like the R3A, while you're focusing, you're also looking through the viewfinder (and the R3A&M have an excellent 1:1 viewfinder) at the scene, and I find that just makes me THINK more about the composition. It's slower to use than a more automated camera (focus, wind on), and that gives you time to consider the shots more.

That's what i find anyway.

Carol Stee

Mu-43 Regular
There were wild rumours a while back that Voigtlander were pondering a digital Bessa. They certainly have enough of a range of film bodies: Voigtlander Bessa Camera Bodies.

Cheers

Ray

The Voigtländer Bessa R3A is a gorgeous camera, but I wish Voigtländer Bessa and Zeiss would bring out digital rangefinders, at a more competitive price than the Leicas. To my knowledge, Leica makes the only digital rangefinders still in production, and they are over my budget, which is why I got the G2. The German rangefinder companies make beautiful, precision cameras, smaller than SLRs, but they are slow to embrace digital technology. Those of us who would like to see more digital rangefinders should write to Voigtländer Bessa and Zeiss asking them to bring out one. Leica needs more competition, and affordable rangefinders will make Olympus and Panasonic work harder to improve their M4/3rds cameras.

A 35mm rangefinder gives full frame IQ at a lower price, lighter weight, and smaller size than a full frame DSLR, but I don't want to go back to a 35mm camera because the cost of film and developing it is high and I have to go out of town to get the film developed. And in order to rework it in Photoshop I have to get a CD made of the roll, which is expensive. Also, with digital I can delete the pictures I don't want at no cost.

Carol Stee

Mu-43 Regular
Hello - very curious about your choice. What is the advantage of a rangefinder over a digital camera, that makes you have both ? Is it a subjective matter (the feel of shooting with it etc) or are there "objective" advantages as well - IQ ? Is it an interesting option only if you develop your rolls yourself ? just for the record, I'm not trolling, it's just that I am waiting for my Bessa R2 to arrive, bought it because it came with a lot of Voigtlander lenses I was interested in for my EP1.

What Voigtländer lenses are you getting with your Bessa R2 and what company are you buying the kit from?

Gwendal

Mu-43 Veteran
Actually not a company, but a seller getting rid of a second-hand kit : Ultron 35mm f1.7 (which I will probably keep), Color Skopar 21mm f4, Color Heliar 75mm f2.5, Apo Lanthar f3.5 90mm, and Color Skopar 50mm f2.5. Will test all those, see what I keep and actually use over time, ebay the rest of it...

sebastel

Mu-43 Regular
got me an M4-P additionally. it was the kind of offer you just cannot reject. most probably will keep the E-P1, though.
home development is not a big deal for B&W (preferred by me anyway), and my scanner works quite nicely.
-
so, it's back from digital for me.
why? i am more satisfied.
cheers

G1 User

Mu-43 Veteran
I sold my 90mm Summicron (Version 2 E48) to get a G1 and 17mm.... Go figure...
Love my trade off.

I still have a 28/35/50 for my Leica though. Can't get rid of that. but, I will sell my 28/2 for a 25/4 P. And then I am done... I think....for now :drinks:

Enjoy the Bessa, I had an R2 a few years back. great classic RF.

Gwendal

Mu-43 Veteran
Answering my own question, now that I finally got around to finishing the first roll and retrieving the prints - dynamic range. A number of my shots were badly composed, shot against a bright light, etc - all sorts of mistakes - but those that were right give really great results. Actually made a number of shots both with the EP1 and the R2 at the same occasion (an afternoon with friends, playing chess so people wouldn't move too much !), and the Bessa shots indeed need very little work... Alas, I fear the learning curve/cost of developing etc is way too much for me. The question is - would I get the same DR out of an M8 or M9 ?

Gwendal

Mu-43 Veteran
Actually I think I will use a couple more rolls before making up my mind - I've read somewhere that Tri-X is highly reputed, and will probably go with this...

Latest threads

Top Bottom