1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

I Shoot Portraits (An On Going Post)

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by StudioHeraBell, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Today I have decided that I instead of doing several Forum posts, I will create one for my Portrait photography. It will have color, B&W and anything in btween. Anyone who is curious at the Forum here can visit it when I do updates to it.

Please feel free to comment, critique or shoot the breeze. :smile: Expressing yourself with your opinions makes me learn more. I am not perfect.

Few weeks ago, I was asked by Danny, a Blog follower from New York, to do a post on how to create powerful portraits.

I tried to explain as good as I could what it means a powerful portrait.

Then I talked about shooting fashion and beauty shots, the do's and don'ts to watch out.

All the images at today's Blog are of one girl. Enjoy the diversity. She has a huge scar on her forhead and arm. But this should not stop anyone creating good portraits of people.

My Photo Ramblings: Photographing Fashion & Beauty & Portraits

[​IMG]

Cheers,

Hera

• Like Like x 10
  2. Her scars close up:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Hera Bell, I looked that the entire blog post. How are you getting such white background with one one strobe + umbrella?

• Like Like x 1
  4. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Wonderful work! If you want to combine your previous posts in here, I don't think anybody would mind. :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  5. If your walls are white, your strobe is very powerful, and your umbrella is very large, the way you will positioned your strobe and do an incident reading, and not position your subject far away from the white background, you can get quite white well exposed shot.

The umbrealla reflects the powerful strobe light and your sroom even acts like a reflectife soft box.

I hope this info helps you.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I recently did a shoot of a mother and daugther. The story is quite powerful.

My Photo Ramblings: Telling A Powerful Story Through Photos

This tuesday Louise will be operated.

This is how the final shot looked like. I will share also how it was shot. Later on.

That pink textured background was dded after.

[​IMG]

One studio strobe again.

• Like Like x 10
  7. As it was shot. Shallow DOF. With GH2

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  8. The Minimalist

The Minimalist Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2011
    Thanks, I learnt something in your blog the other day about photographing people.

9. Hi Darren, and what was that? Just curious. :)

10. I have recently purchased a Lumix FL 500 flash. I find myself more and more going to pro photo assignments with my GH2. I thought it would be a great addition when I am shooting an event, and once in a while I will need that flash power.

Yesterday was one of these days.

I was going to shoot the decor of a media event. I said to myself, no need to bring th Canon 7D, flash, battery pack and heavy tripod etc. GH2 will do the job with my carbon tripod. But it was the first time I used seriously my new Lumix Flash when I needed to photograph people at work. The rest of the evening was shot with available light on tripod. Objects don't move. :smile:

I like the result so far.

The event took place at Hyatt Regency in Montreal. I will share the sublime decor at another Forum thread I will soon create under "I shoot still life & decors" category.

For now enjoy the portrait of the person who hired me to document the event.

The hilarious part, someone from the event shooting on Program mode with the latest Rebel asked me "Art you a photographer?....

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  11. Eyes Tell Everything.

When I shoot portraits I pay extra attention to the eyes and lips.

At today's Blog post I have posted several examples. Even some animal portraits.

My Photo Ramblings: Eyes Tell Everything

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  12. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Very inspirational thread. Your work and thoughts.

My heart and wishes go out to Louise. I hope everything went well.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Thank you John. She was operated last Tuesday. It is a long road to recovery. She is an inspiration to everyone.

14. The Minimalist

Nov 19, 2011
    Hi, it was this quote:
    'Make the viewer wanna meet the person in the photo you have shot.'

I always knew that you have to engage with the person when you shoot. That quote to me is up another level than what I've done before, simply because I have never thought that way before when taken photo's.

• Like Like x 2
  15. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    Hi, Hera,

just to let you know it like this thread (on your blog) very much.
    I'm not much into shooting (pictures of) people :biggrin:, but these are wonderful photos and stories !

Congrats,
    Rafael

• Like Like x 1
  16. ricseet

ricseet Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 20, 2010
    Singapore
    This is a super learning thread for me becos I am just starting to learn to shot portrait out doors with life model. Yesterday was my first time out with some friends and I love it.
    All these while I have shooting street pics of people.

• Like Like x 1
  17. I invite you to check the Blog today. There tiny bit nudity, I will reftain posting the shot here to respect the rules. However you might like the final concept. 3 images combined in one after a Mother Theresa quote.

The girl was shot with G1 in my studio, the rest (the moon and the mountains were shot with GH2.

Happy surfing:

My Photo Ramblings: The Silence and The Moon

• Like Like x 2
  18. Hi Darren,

We create pictures, or take photos for few reasons.

1) To remember, memories sake. (most photography falls in this category and there is nothing wrong with it)

2) To share. (Forums like this)

Now that sharing has different levels:

A) Share with the people in it.

B) Share with the world or others who aren't in the photo and don't know the people in the photo.

That B part has to deal with what my comment was about.

Most of the photos we share at Forums with our internet friends get into that caregory.

I don't know the people in everyone's shots. Vice versa.

What will make me stop without knowing the photographer or the person in the photo, look, ponder, and say "WOW" who is that person in the shot?

This can be galamour model, child, family, a wedding couple, street people...

We live in a highly visually charged world. TV, ads, movies, store windows, decors etc etc etc...

What kind of shot will take to grab someone's attention to a particular image? Make them stop and talk about it?

Let alone to make people talk decades about a single shot or photographer.

Then we are talking about Masters we all admire.

Their photos tell a story and create an emotion. Good or bad... Any strong emotion makes an image a "winner"...

Cheers,

Hera

• Like Like x 2
  19. The Minimalist

Nov 19, 2011
    Hi Hera,

Thanks for explaining.

Regards
    Darren

• Like Like x 5