I seem to have caused a bit of an online fuss!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by timallenphoto, Dec 7, 2011.

1. timallenphoto

timallenphoto Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    Kent, England
    Here's a web site reporting about what originally started by me posting a single picture on twitter on Sunday night, there's also a link to their response, and my gallery of pictures that I didn't take with a DSLR!

Web traffic to my site yesterday went nuts, I had more unique visits in one day than I normally get in 3 months!
    • Like Like x 2
  2. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Weird! I have seen many places where they don't allow any photography and many places where they don't allow tripods but to single out a specific type of camera is odd. And why!?? What do they not want photographed well? It is fine if you use your iPhone to take a OK picture but bring your Canon or Nikon DSLR and they have a fit!?
  3. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    This is why I love m43 cameras. It keeps me under the radar of security guards and other busybodies who have no appreciation for the art of photography.
  4. m1pui

m1pui Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2010
    Sunderland, UK
    That's quite amusing. Although its slightly knee jerk overreaction to the "problem" I can possibly see where they're coming from.

Coincidentally, me and the other half we're in London last month and there were various tourist spots where we got stuck behind, invariably DSLR users, who were clearly unsure of what they were doing so appeared to be going through every possibly permutation of settings until they got a shot they were happy with.

I'm absolutely not saying that I'm skilled enough to get it right first time every time, but when it's crowded (Sunday at Camden Market is one occasion I remember) or, in this case, the tours have time restrictions, is impractical and selfish to expect everything & everyone around you to stop for you.
  5. timallenphoto

timallenphoto Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    Kent, England
    An SLR user who knows their kit will always be quicker than a compact shooter though as the camera does everything quicker. Possible exception for latest fast focussing models.
  6. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thanks for the laugh. Sometimes i think we need these people just for the laughs.
  7. m1pui

m1pui Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2010
    Sunderland, UK
    Absolutely, but the relative ease/inexpense of which you can get a DSLR means that one is well within reach of every man and his dog and quite a few are getting into them. Hell, that what how/why I got my first one, a 350D

Generally, someone with a P&S will do just that, perhaps occasionally retaking because they've forgot to switch the flash on/off whereas (not to be disparaging) R.Ookie with his Canikon D1000000D mkX will be determined not to let the machine beat him, instead of just flicking the dial to auto just to get the shot then learn after. Lol
  8. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Funny. Just ban tripods? Many places do that for exactly their given reason.
  9. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    If there is enough "racket" made over this issue, they will just possibly ban all cameras. Some places have already done so. Private property owners have that right. To try to ridicule them, just looks very immature. My house - my rules, applies.
  10. wattseee

wattseee Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2011
    I ran into this same problem at a music festival in Belgium in 2007. I'm sure there were different motives for the rule though.

I was all keen to give my new 400D a nice outing but some twit at the gate decided it was a 'professional camera'. I'd left the P&S at home so I was more than a little pissed off.

And... I went to a football match last night and decided I'd check the stadium policy on cameras before I went. They also had a 'no professional camera' rule, but at least they specified that anything over 300mm was considered professional. I took a chance that they wouldn't realise the 70-210 on an EPL2 isn't strictly law abiding.
  11. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Awesome set! Others are commenting on the political issues, so I'll them handle that, but I loved the pics!
  12. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I'd actually be fine with this over an arbitrary no dslr rule. It makes zero sense because there are a ton of "professional" street photogs that use non-dslr cameras.

If they don't want people hanging around for ever composing or using their backdrop unofficially, they should watch for it. Saying no dslrs isn't going to stop that.
  13. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Eventually someone is going to catch on and ban DSLRs and mirrorless cameras! :eek::tongue:
  14. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    The specific reference to dSLR's is the ludicrous part. Taking a film SLR is okay? Why is it okay to take a photo with a 16MP P&S but not a 16MP dSLR.

If it is for security reasons then I guess The Authorities know something us lesser folk don't know, i.e,:

1) Terrorists only use dSLR's; and
    2) Terrorists must photograph their target with a dSLR prior to creating a terrorist act at said photographed target.

I guess misery (and stupidity) enjoys company ... I would not be surprised to find a similar sign here in the USA.

PS- Good for you Tim to exercise intelligence on this matter. I hope something positive comes from your action.
  15. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    This is why I have a Nikon kit and a M43 kit now. I've been able to pull some sneaky shooting with my mirrorless bodies. To be honest there are so many photographers in LA, not many people flinch when you bust out a 70-200 and D3. :rolleyes:
  16. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    Ah, so you're the Tim Allen :p. I saw it couple of days back and have seen friends sharing it on twitter and facebook. I thought I had seen the site and name somewhere, but couldn't re-collect :).

And yes, micro four thirds cameras are pretty inconspicuous. That's one reason I'd prefer using m4/3 over regular DSLRs.
  17. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Very nice photos taken with "non-professional" camera! :wink:
  18. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    That dip**** that wrote the online rant is just going to ruin it for everybody. Instead of just accepting that he knows more than the layman about photography, and bypassing the rules with something like a Fuji X100 or m4/3 cameras, he's just going to call enough attention to the subject that they ban everything. What a shame, one guy ruining it for everyone.
  19. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    It's great that we're all smarter than the people making the rules about which cameras are OK, but it helps to be able to appreciate that they need to keep it simple for the folks enforcing the rules. Sure, it will not completely solve the issue of people slowing down the tour by fooling around too long taking snaps, but it surely must help to minimize it.

I enjoy photography, and despite that I am not very tolerant of people setting up for a shot of their kids at a tourist spot who act like they are shooting the Queen of England for the cover of Vanity Fair. And most of those annoying shooters are using entry level DSLRs.
  20. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2011
    Whitehorse, Yukon
    No mention of film which has almost infinite resolution. A film SLR is OK?