I See Stars...

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by MajorMagee, Mar 2, 2011.

1. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    P3020580smcropped.jpg
    The Nebula In Orion's Sword.

The stars are streaked from the 6 sec exposure at 500mm (2 x 250mm) without any sky tracking.

With the naked eye this patch of sky only looks like a line of three dim stars.

• Like Like x 1
  2. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    near Longview ~1hr from PDX
    Jim R
    Darn good try - thanks for posting!

For a few bucks, make a barn-door mount (google it) and you'll be set. I took shots up to 2 minutes using one (that was my time limit before before boredom set in :smile:) but got some great comet images that way. Still, 250mm might be challenging even that way!

3. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I've got a telescope with a tracking mount. I just don't have the adapter to mount the camera to it.

What I was really trying to test was if the M4/3 sensor could pull up the colors of the Nebula that you can't make out by eye. At ISO 3200 this image started off pretty noisy, but I thought it cleaned up reasonably well.

4. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Here are a couple of shots at 100mm (2 x 50mm) to give the other shot some context. These were taken earlier in the evening on another night so the sword is more nearly vertical than in the shot above.

100mmf1-81-4secISO500P2130203sm.jpg
    The lower part of the Orion Constellation with natural levels of brightness about equal to night adapted eyesight.

100mmf1-830secISO100P2130205sm.jpg
    The same area of the sky with a 30 sec long exposure showing many more stars and their colors.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.