1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I See Stars...

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by MajorMagee, Mar 2, 2011.

1. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    P3020580smcropped.
    The Nebula In Orion's Sword.

The stars are streaked from the 6 sec exposure at 500mm (2 x 250mm) without any sky tracking.

With the naked eye this patch of sky only looks like a line of three dim stars.

• Like Like x 1
  2. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    near Longview ~1hr from PDX
    Jim R
    Darn good try - thanks for posting!

For a few bucks, make a barn-door mount (google it) and you'll be set. I took shots up to 2 minutes using one (that was my time limit before before boredom set in :smile:) but got some great comet images that way. Still, 250mm might be challenging even that way!

3. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I've got a telescope with a tracking mount. I just don't have the adapter to mount the camera to it.

What I was really trying to test was if the M4/3 sensor could pull up the colors of the Nebula that you can't make out by eye. At ISO 3200 this image started off pretty noisy, but I thought it cleaned up reasonably well.

4. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Here are a couple of shots at 100mm (2 x 50mm) to give the other shot some context. These were taken earlier in the evening on another night so the sword is more nearly vertical than in the shot above.

100mmf1-81-4secISO500P2130203sm.
    The lower part of the Orion Constellation with natural levels of brightness about equal to night adapted eyesight.

100mmf1-830secISO100P2130205sm.
    The same area of the sky with a 30 sec long exposure showing many more stars and their colors.

• Like Like x 1