1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I see a lot more CSCs out in the wild.

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by lenshoarder, Mar 15, 2012.

1. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Just a year ago I didn't see many CSCs out and about. I'm in Frankfurt right now and see them everywhere. It seems like for every DSLR user I see, I see someone with a CSC too. I passed a group of Japanese businessmen this morning and there was only one DSLR in the group. The other 5 were sporting NEXi including the first NEX 7 I've seen someone using not in a store. I've also seen a lot of GF2s with 14mm lenses. Most in the hands of women for some reason.

2. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

U will see them all over soon.About six months ago I said in a thread that future belongs to mirror less cameras and I was almost dead here ..hahahaha
    Anyway I am glad to see someone else also noticed so many of them.
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

3. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

In Japan, of all interchangeable lens camera sales, mirrorless CSC has 42%. DSLR has the remaining 58%.

In Europe, mirrorless CSC has 17%. It is highest in the UK at ~20-25%.

In North America, mirrorless CSC has 13%.

All figures are for 2011.

4. timallenphoto

timallenphoto Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    Kent, England
    In London on Saturday I saw literally hundreds of DSLRs, hundreds. I noticed 2 CSC's, and one of them was mine! I'd say SLR is still king in the UK by a huge margin.

• Like Like x 1
  5. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    Yes, I agree - certainly the case in the UK - I hardly ever see a CSC - and I live in a city (Edinburgh) with a lot of tourists/visitors from all over the world. Most tourists I see use compact cameras, a few use dslrs, while locals at events etc either use dslrs or iphones - not really much in between!

I don't even think there is even that much general awareness of CSC here - the perception seems to be that if you want to 'upgrade' from a point and shoot compact digital, you get a dslr. I mentioned micro four thirds on a (non photography) forum where somebody with a Pentax film slr and digital compact cameras was wanting better quality than the compacts she was using and was considering a higher end compact, but leaning towards a bridge camera or a dslr. Everyone else in the thread suggested either a dslr or a bridge camera. (To me a bridge camera is the worst of both worlds and has been outpaced by technology).

In fact in another post in the same forum on a similar question, one person said that "if you want a digitial slr, Canon and Nikon are the only ones you should consider" - again personally I think Pentax and Sony (yes I know not technically an slr) offer better entry level options for a first dslr.

I think the majority of people think 'better camera' (than their compact) means dslr and dslr means a Nikon or a Canon "because that's what the professionals use". Hence you see a lot of people using a dslr as an expensive point and shoot (always on auto, never getting any other lens than the kit lens) - which is fine if that's what they want (but seems a bit of waste to me).

6. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

When I walk around London with my CSC and 20mm lens in one pocket and my 45mm lens in the other, no-one who saw me would even know I was carrying a camera. In your analysis, I wouldn't even count. :wink:

That's actually why I came back to m4/3. I also have a Leica outfit but that is nowhere near as compact, light and unobtrusive as my G3 outfit. The nearest thing to it was a Leica CL with 40mm and 90mm lenses, which no-one knew I was carrying either. :smile:

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Actually, those are just 3rd Quarter earnings you're quoting there, from July-Sept of 2011.

By the 4th Quarter (Oct-Dec, 2011) Non-Reflex/DSLR sales in Japan were an astonishing 50/50!

In North America, it's 22% now.

[​IMG]
    CIPA - Fourth Quarter Report (October to December, 2011)
    The proportion of interchangeable lens camera sales made up by SLRs (light blue) and non-reflex cameras (dark blue).

8. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    OK, I'm the dummy here: what's a CSC?

9. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
  10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
  11. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Kristi
    You know, I don't think I'd ever noticed a CSC until the store displays popped up for the Nikon N1 late last year. It got my attention and introduced me to the format.

Of course, a little research informed me that Nikon was late to the party and wasn't wearing their best, hence my G3.

But where I am (SW Virginia), I see very few other CSCs.

12. I attended a wedding the other day where there was a fellow GH1 user, a G10 and some form of NEX. Probably the most CSCs I've seen being used in the one place.

Mental note: sell excess DSLR gear before more people start to realise there are alternatives out there. Be brutal, extinction plays havoc on resale values.

13. YouDidntDidYou

YouDidntDidYou Mu-43 Regular

Feb 18, 2012
    Teesside
    the DSLR's you saw were probably 2-5 years old and only come out of the cupboard 2-3 times a year...

even if mirrorless and DSLR were both at 50/50 in three years time you will see/notice a lot more mirrorless because they get used more often...

14. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I can't speak for anybody else, but I know that for myself the PEN system has allowed me to not only have a camera with me much more often, but also to feel comfortable pulling it out on any occasion, not just reserving it for assignments and looking funny at everyone else when they ask me to take a picture. ;)

15. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Thank you Ashton Kutcher!

16. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Foxtail: All the CSC owners here in SW VA belong to a secret society. I'll PM you the secret handshake.:wink:

17. foxtail1

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Kristi
    :thumbup: True! That is probably what caught my eye first!

I guess I need it! All of you must have your cameras secreted somewhere, because I never see them!

18. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Although, I was not aware of Mr. Kutcher being an established photographer qualified to make camera recommendations. ;) I don't care though, I'm happy for the visibility it brings to Non-Reflex cameras on a whole. And after being drawn in by Nikon's flamboyant advertising, it's easy to compare a Nikon 1 with a Micro Four-Thirds camera side-by-side, especially when you include price point, and move on from there to Micro Four-Thirds. ;) That's what I see happening very often... I think there's enough cake to go around for everyone to take a bite. xD

19. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Nikon's 1-series did quite well over the holidays, particularly in the US.

If Canon's mirrorless arrives before next Christmas, I wouldn't be surprised if mirrorless hits 50% of new ILC sales in Europe and North America too by mid-2013. The D3x00/Digital Rebel crowd is well over half the market as it is. If they start buying mirrorless instead, marketshare will shift dramatically in a short period.

DH

20. foxtail1

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Kristi
    His photographic skills (or lack thereof) were not what drew my attention... ;-)