1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I saw a fight at work today

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Tecpatl4, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Tecpatl4

Tecpatl4 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 16, 2010
    Midwest
    I walked with some friends to a nearby restaurant. I grabbed my E-P1 and new 4-150 lens, just in case.
    My friend's favorite bird is the red-winged blackbird. So I saw one sitting on a cattail and was stalking him, trying to get close enough for a good shot. Suddenly I heard a commotion and he flew away. I looked up just in time to see one of the local trumpeter swans chasing a goose across the pond. Apparently they were fighting over a patch of something good to eat.

The swan settled down to eat, and 4 geese surrounded it. Occasionally one would swim closer and the swan would chase them away. This went on for about 10 minutes, each of the geese had a go and was chased away.
    Finally all the geese had gathered in a group, but then started squabbling with each other and chased each other to the other side of the pond, all the while making a loud racket.

This is when the great blue heron flew over to see what was going on, circled the swan a couple of times making a lot of noise as if to say "shut the hell up, you're scaring away the fish". He then left, heading towards one of the other ponds.

Doing this kind of work without a viewfinder is very difficult. I think I'm going to start saving for an upgrade.

f1.

f2.

f3.

f4.

f5.

f6.

f7.

f8.

f9.

f10.

f11.

f12.

f13.

• Like Like x 5
  2. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Nice pics.

How is the AF of the 40-150 on the E-P1 ?

Swans are bad-ass :wink:

3. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Excellent series. :2thumbs:

4. Tecpatl4

Tecpatl4 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 16, 2010
    Midwest
    The focus is pretty dang fast, but you have to put the target in the green box or it won't work.

And yeah, that swan terrorizes that pond. Last year I got a little close to the nest and he came after me. He's a huge bird, and scary.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Swans are nasty creatures, but the photos are great! And it's hard to cheer for geese who aren't exactly cuddly; my father was attacked by a bunch of them when he was a-courtin' my Mom. Of course he HAD run over one of their brethren.

6. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    "Doing this kind of work without a viewfinder is very difficult. I think I'm going to start saving for an upgrade.
    "
    But you did really well.