I.S. Image Stabilization - Focal Length Setting - Do you change this for each lens?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by G1Reflector_949, Jan 17, 2014.

1. G1Reflector_949

G1Reflector_949 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2013
    Sacramento, CA
    I've owned the OM-D E-M5 and more recently the E-M1, but only recently have I begun to wonder if I need to change the focal length setting for the I.S. when I switch between lenses.

Sorry, I have some time on my hands and trying to learn as much about my cameras as possible and this is a little detail I question if adjusting I.S. focal length per lens (or per zoom range) may result in better image stabilization for each particular lens?

Forgive my ignorance in advance if I have missed some sort of "common sense" logic or knowledge about the I.S. in Olympus cameras.

If I recall the instruction manual correctly, it says you should set the actual focal length (not the 35mm/FF equivalent) of any lens which is NOT MFT or FT... say an old OM manual lens and Voigtlander, etc.

I just wanted to be sure it wasn't necessary, if not simply better, to set the focal length for the I.S. when switching between lenses?

2 examples:

Ex. 1) I have the 75mm f1.8 and the I.S. shows focal length at 12mm. Should it not be set (if not automatically detected by the camera) to 75mm? Wouldn't it make sense to match the actual focal length of the lens currently being used. I mean 12mm vs 75mm is quite a big difference.

Ex. 2) I have the 12-40mm f2.8 and when I check the I.S., it seems set to 12mm. When I zoom out to 40mm, I check the I.S. again and it still shows 12mm. Should it not match the 40mm focal length (or whatever in-between)? You shouldn't have to reset the I.S. focal length manually, however, it doesn't show any change to I.S. focal length.

Maybe I'm over thinking this and perhaps the camera actually does adjust and account for the actual focal length for I.S. optimization IN CAMERA.. doesn't necessarily show it when you check the I.S. settings? Or it doesn't and you just either have to live with a default I.S. focal length or go through the trouble of adjusting per lens.

FYI, I have tried adjusting the focal lengths to see if there's any difference.. to be honest, it seems to work just as well regardless of focal length settings to the I.S. Perhaps I've just answered my own question just now, but ...If anybody has any insight into this, it would be appreciated so I have a better bit of solid knowledge wrapped around this particular subject and understand what happens inside my E-M1 regarding I.S. and focal length setting when MFT & FT lenses are used.

2. cdo221

cdo221 Mu-43 Rookie

May 3, 2013
    You only need to adjust the focal length if there's no electronic communication between the lens and camera. For the 75 and 12-40 you don't need to do anything. However for the voigtlander 25mm, you would input 25mm because that's a full manual lens.

3. G1Reflector_949

G1Reflector_949 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2013
    Sacramento, CA
    That's what I thought, but I wanted to be sure. Thanks.

4. JimUSNY

JimUSNY Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2013
    Mid Hudson Valley NY
    Jim
    yes it is only for adapted manual lenses, a nice feature because it really does work on all lenses this way if you remember to change it :)

5. rbelyell

rbelyell Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 15, 2013
    Mountains of NY
    as an aside, i have a pl5, and when i attach native lenses i understood FL settings in ibis would be 'greyed out'. but theyre not, the cam does allow you to set a FL. does that mean what i 'set' in that circumstance is not relevent and will be overridden by the camera?

6. rpringle

rpringle Mu-43 Regular

Jan 9, 2014
    I believe if you attach electronic lenses the camera will pick the correct FL by default however you can change that value manually. I don't know why you would unless the camera was getting it wrong.

• Like Like x 1