I received the 60mm Macro today! That was fast!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Gusnyc, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Gusnyc

Gusnyc Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    New York
    Hi!

What a surprise! I preordered the lens in Olympus America and I received the lens today! It was supposed to arrive in October. It is smaller than what I thought it was going to be.

I will try to post some samples later today.

Let me know if you have any questions, I will try to respond or simply show how ignorant I am about the macro world.

• Like Like x 8
  2. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I'd like to see a couple of pics mounted on the OMD if possible. Still tryin to get my head around how big it is :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Woah - very cool. Have fun with the lens (and do please post some images)!

4. Gusnyc

Gusnyc Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    New York
    Here there is a couple of pictures of the lens on the OM-D. Next to 60mm I placed the 12-50mm for comparison.

IMG_4665.

IMG_4668. [/url]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 13
  5. romzL

romzL Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2012
    romz
    its almost the same size as the kit lens. i am definitely getting this one. is it really $499 only?

• Like Like x 2
  6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    The DoF on that shot of the R key looks so wild.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

YEs ..only USD 499 as it is not made by Panasonic hahahha
    Cheers
    :rofl::rofl::rofl:

8. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Kudos and thanks!

Could you provide, at some point, a couple of shots and your evaluation on portrait type shooting? This lens would be sharp as a knife and probably quite suited to such applications too.

9. ISO1600

ISO1600 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 17, 2012
    Abilene, TX
    Chris
    wow, that is smaller than i thought!

Awesome you got it so fast, hopefully the body cap lens ships out like that!

10. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Perhaps Olympus learnt from the E-M5 debacle and actually made some of these before putting it on sale! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Sanpaku

Sanpaku Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2012
    In µ43 format, the portrait orientation vertical fields of view for the three Olympus "portrait" lenses are: 45mm → 21.8°, 60mm → 16.4°, 75mm → 13.2°.

So, to image a 1 m vertical subject field (roughly head and upper torso), the subject distance would be: 45mm → 2.5 m, 60mm → 3.4 m, 75mm → 4.26 m.

According to DOF Master's calculator, the depth of field at widest aperture for the three lenses would be:

45 mm @ F/1.8, 2.5 m: 16 cm DOF
    60 mm @ F/2.8, 3.4 m: 27 cm DOF
    75 mm @ F/1.8, 4.26 m: 17 cm DOF

So subject isolation for the 60mm for the same subject framing is considerably less than for the 45mm or 75mm. The 45mm & 60mm have 7 aperture blades to the 75mm's 9, though this may not matter for circular bokeh at widest extent.

I still ended up buying the 60mm as my first "portrait" lens, as I'm a bit tired of the limitations and awkwardness of a Raynox DCR-250 diopter on the external zooming 45-200 lens. Hoping that the Olympus store is working through very recent orders as well as the preorders.

• Like Like x 5
  12. With_Eyes_Unclouded

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Thanks for the analysis!

Frankly, for most portraits, a subject isolation of ~30cm (as in your 1m distance example) is very good. Let's face it, if you want Uber Extra Shallow DOF (as in, closest eye in focus, everything else out, which, incidentaly I consider a "special effect" shot), you really need FF and a f/1.2 lens (or MF).

I have shot with Canon macro lenses as well as a OM Zuiko 50mm f/3.5 (both on film and adapted). By default, macro lenses have minimal distortion characteristics and have a "in your face" (forgive the pun) portrait rendering. I personally am on the fence on this; if I did a bit more macro work, this lens would be already on order for me.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Gusnyc

Gusnyc Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    New York
    Les comparison

Here I placed the 60mm among other lenses, for size comparisons.

Sorry about the blurry cam, it's just a quick shot with the iPhone.

I hope this is helpful.

Gus

• Like Like x 5
  14. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    That's quite the collection you have there! Seems to be reasonably sized - a bit longer than the PL45, but also with a bit more reach.

Any preliminary thoughts on AF speed for normal subjects with and without the limiter?

DH

15. Gusnyc

Gusnyc Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    New York
    Sorry DH, I am working (at home) and I didn't have time to take more than 4 shots with the new lens. I still need to learn how to use it properly. I will go to play with it as soon as I can.

16. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Yes that was fast - congrats to ya! :smile:

17. shepx13

shepx13 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    Ken
    Are we sure right? I would think the difference of the 75 would be slightly less than the 75.

18. Sanpaku

Sanpaku Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2012
  19. With_Eyes_Unclouded

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    OK, the samples are so sharp to the point I find it hard to believe they are not post processed. The whole review is excelent BTW, congrats to Robin for that!

20. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul