1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

I really wish I hadn't done this...

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by pdk42, Nov 24, 2013.

1. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    My first u43 lens was the 17/1.8 and I've been very happy with it, in the main. From time to time though, I've been a bit underwhelmed by its sharpness, especially on landscapes. At times like that, the 20/1.7 has beckoned me and last week I picked one up on the basis that I really needed to try it and make my own mind up rather than believe the reviews.

But the inevitable has happened - after using both, I now can't make my damned mind up!

The 20 is sharper - not by a massive margin, but definitely noticeable - and it's a tad more contrasty. But, it's not so nice to use as the Oly, has much slower autofocus, produces prodigious amounts of purple fringing in high-contrast situations and it doesn't feel or look as nice.

So, keep the Oly I hear you say, but ... I can fix the 20's fringing in PP, can probably live with its AF speed and really should not be judging gear on how nice it looks. It also quite a bit cheaper - and sharper of course.

So, it's the 20 I should keep, but then I hold them both in the hand and I can't help feeling it's like choosing between a fancy desirable sports car that is quick enough but not quite up there with the best, and a slightly ageing and plain-jane hatchback/sedan that has the muscle to leave most cars behind at the lights. The sports car gives the better ownership experience, but the old sedan delivers the goods at almost half the price.

Decisions, decisions...

• Like Like x 2
  2. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    Which focal length do you prefer? To me, they are quite different. I was never fond of the 20mm focal length, so the 17 was a no brainer for me as I love the traditional 35mm focal length.

Which do you prefer to use? The difference in IQ is relatively small, so it seems to me it should come down to which gives you a better user experience along with which focal length you prefer.

3. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    Chris
    I know what you are going through. I cannot seem to get rid of the 20mm myself. I have had people comment on how sharp my photos appear when I have used the 20mm. User experience be damned. The 20 provides nice photos in good light. Then I go and use the 20mm in poor light and it hunts and misses. I should sell it. No, yes.....

Too bad Panasonic did not overhaul the focusing mechanism while they were coming out with version 2 of the lens.

4. emptysensor

emptysensor Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    Virginia
    Joe
    I personally love the 20 and can't see ever selling it. I think I've had it longer than any of my lenses. I always allow myself to get a lens with the attitude I can always get pretty good money if I decide to sell it later. Problem is I have a terrible time parting with one. I've never had the 17 so I don't know if I'd like that fl better than the 20. The 20 is pretty slow but it's never really been a problem. I just absolutely love being able to pop it on a small body like my epm2, put it in a pocket, and have an extremely high quality tool I can take anywhere. And it looks just like a cheap point and shoot.

5. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Keep both until you are sure which one you want to part with.

When I had the 20mm I loved it, but I sold it to finance acquisition of the Pana/Leica 25mm f1.4, one of my favorite lenses, so I know how sometimes you cannot keep both.

Good luck deciding.

6. charcoalblack

charcoalblack Mu-43 Regular

Dec 26, 2012
    i'm in the same boat as the OP. I currently have both and I think for the time being, will keep both for a while. I prefer the focal length of the 20mm, and also notice the difference in sharpness. On the other hand, the 17mm is super quick and well built...oh, well.

7. Everhandy

Everhandy Guest

Sell both.

I had the P20 and was underwhelmed by it. Quite frankly, what's the hoopla? Looking at lens data, it's not much sharper than the Panny 14-45mm.
    I shoot with the Sigma 19mm and boy, let me tell you, that's a sharp lens and for $199!!

8. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Keep the 20mm, wait for the upcoming Panasonic Leica 15mm 1.7 and then sell the 20mm for the 15mm when it comes out. :wink: That lens should hopefully have the build quality, speed and sharpness of all the other Leica branded lenses!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I ended up with the 17. With the PL25, I rarely put the 20 back on. I got spoiled by the silent quickness of all my lenses.. except the 20. Not to mention I'd notice banding on my E-M5 =/

But given how I tend to shoot, I've grown to like the 17 FL more, especially when paired with the 45. So it made little sense to keep the 20, personally.

So really, this is just another long winded way to say "which FL do you prefer, go with that one". Or, if cost isn't a huge concern, just keep both =)

10. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    I don't have the 17 but I do have both the 20mm and the PL 25mm fl.4 (and use 'em both).

pdk42: I don't know if you'll ever be tempted to obtain a Panasonic Lumix body but I'd hang onto the 20 just in case you do. With the in camera digital correction of Panasonic bodies the 20mm really "shines" when used on a Lumix body.

When I first got the 20 I was testing out m4/3 with a Pen E-PL1, got an E-P3 but then shifted to Lumix GH2s because my primary focus is motion picture. I work mainly with GH3s now and have a mix of both Panasonic and Oly lenses. Just got an E-M5 primarily for the amazing 5 axis stabilization when the camera has to be in motion.

I'd say keep and use both, you've already paid for them.

11. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    You didn't have a pancake before.
    Now you do. Pocket it.
    Keep both.

12. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    Yep, me too

13. barbosas

barbosas Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2013
    Lisbon
    I sold my 20 to get the 17.. AF was just to slow for me on the 20.