1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I really wanted to love the OMD

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by rklepper, Jul 24, 2013.

1. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    I really did. And I tried, I really did. But in the end, I just cannot.

Don't get me wrong, I think it is a great little camera, but it just doesn't work for my purposes. I need to have fast zooms for my shooting style. That left me with the Panasonic zooms. The 12-35 and the 35-100 works phenomenally well on the OMD. But I purchased the 7-14 and the purple blobs were horrible. I also feel the need to have one fast prime in the bag and was really impressed with the 25 f/1.4. It chattered (rattlesnaked) like crazy. These killed the OMD for me.

I purchased the Panasonic GH3 and the problems are gone. It is indeed a larger camera and does not have IBIS, but the power IS seems to work just as well. The chattering is gone as are the purple blobs. I am much, much happier.

The 100-300 still sucks, but I can live with that, at least for now. I don't shoot at that focal length very often.

Now to get out and shoot again.

Thanks to all those who gave positive input into the threads I had started on these issues.

2. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    It's good that there are options. Personally the GH3 would Have not convinced me to drop FF for MFT but everyone can tell its a good camera.

3. rklepper

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    All I have to do is hold my 5DIII with the 70-200 f/2.8 II on it to realize that the real benefit to MFT is the physical size of the lenses. Yes, I still have a FF camera. Not sure I can get rid of it, but can't carry it for long. At least not like I used to.

I agree, the OMD is what got me here. Not sure I would even be here if my entry level experience was the GH3. But once you invest that much in lenses you kind of feel committed to follow through (or is it, should be committed).

4. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Good to hear the GH3 solves purple blobs to some extent. I've heard mixed reports.

I had the same experience with the E-M5. I had it for almost a year and it was a great camera but I just couldn't "bond" with it. The Panasonic bodies suit me much better. But like many, the E-M5 is what convinced me to dump my DSLR's. I don't regret that AT ALL.

5. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Glad that you found a great camera to match your lenses.

As for me, I actually got attracted to the GH series first and then tried some of the Panasonic cameras at a display and they remind me too much of my DSLR so never really bought any of them and ended up getting the OM-D.

I just recently sold the OM-D but I will probably stay at this format for a long time. I hope sigma would come out with a lens like the 18-35mm f/1.8 for m43 though :smile:

6. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Suits you

Robert,

I am glad you have found a camera that meets your needs and that the blobs and noise has gone!

I previously had Pany kit and when I got the 25mm, I used to get awful rattlesnake noise from it - I switched to the OMD and it had the latest firmware and no noise at all with the 25 and faster AF than with my Pany.

There is no doubt that the current crop of high end Mu43's can certainly meet the demands of the most avid shooter and deliver outstanding images, either way Pany or Oly both reward the shooter and offer options to fit individual needs in smaller, lighter yet very capable machines!

Sorry to hear about your frustrations with the Pany 100-300, I am finding it a great lens with the OMD and managed to get some images from an airshow at the weekend I am more than happy with:

OMD+ 100-300.

A400_plus_Reds.

Reds_6.

Reheat_On.

Tornado.

Vulcan_4.

7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Wow, that 100-300mm really is a terrible lens - those photos prove it!!! :biggrin: I don't own an OM-D, but this is still one of my favorite lenses. It's a shame you can't use it for action shots, like this:

MRDK-0560.

MRDK-0512.

MRDK-0492.

Darn! :biggrin:

8. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    x2.

The Panasonic 35-100 is getting so much more use than my f/2.8 70-200 ever did because I have no reservations about bringing it with me.

After a few months of sitting, I sold all my Canon gear, but my intention always was to change systems, not have both. My Panasonic MFT equipment has been working very well for me, maybe better than any system to date.

9. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    The beauty of this system lies in the diversity of features - take for example EM5 and GH3, each body has its strengths, and its own followings.

10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Don't feel ashamed - you're not the only individual that prefers the GH3 over the OM-D. :smile:

Do what works for you :smile:

11. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Interesting about purple blobs. I read it was sensor fault, so I guess Gh3 sensor is not exactly the same as Omd after all?

12. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    And that's what really distinguishes micro four thirds: it's an "eco-system" of different manufacturers, philosophies, and products. The selection of body designs, the lenses, and the performance now is amazing.

I'll be very surprised if the overall system fails -- but American's like their Big Cameras. Not even talking pro's necessarily -- I'm talking most buyers of DSLR's which are in fact NOT pros. It's interesting how well mft is doing in Asia, versus in the 'States.

13. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    Interesting. Mine does it and AFAIK my firmware is current (well one version back). Hmmmm makes me wonder if there are fixes in the latest other than the VF4 update.

14. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Same sensor with possibly different type of glass covers or different coatings on the cover. Camera makers will generally match it to their own lens coatings.

15. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I've been wondering about this. Is there any real information yet from Panasonic about the source and/or design of that sensor?

I think you're right, but I'm interested in some hard facts on it.

16. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Rev, you and Ian are having a bad influence on me :). - And my checkbook.

Regards,

Jim

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mu-43 mobile app

17. rklepper

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    Like I said, I like the OMD, but it just wasn't working for "me". Not sure what I will do with it.

Perhaps I just need more practice with it, but I have used longer canon lenses without the same issues I have with the 100-300.

80% of my system is now doing what I want it to do. Much better. Hey, I am satisfied for now. :)

18. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Yes!! I never felt alone when using my camera in a crowd here in Japan, there will always be somebody around me carrying one too :smile:

19. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    You've use Canon lenses longer than 600mm equivalent? Wow, that's long!

But Robert, have you seen this video? Might be helpful in getting more out of the 100-300mm.

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgzLfLa2acA]Get Sharp Shots with the Panasonic LUMIX 100-300mm f4-5.6 G MFT Lens - YouTube[/ame]

20. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK

When I got my OMD in Apr this year it came with 1.6, no rattlesnake noise - now using 1.7 still no noise and long may that continue.

The GX1 used to rattlesnake like crazy!!