I really want this to be real, Zuiko 25mm f/1.8

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Thinh Ly, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Thinh Ly

Thinh Ly Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2012
    Washington D.C.
  2. Andym72

Andym72 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 4, 2013
    Reading, UK
    I think if this lens is real, it needs to be simple and good value, like the 45mm. We have a premium normal already, and all other systems have a low cost, simple normal lens.
  3. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    My thoughts exactly. Snap focus and metal bodies are cool, but a value 25mm would help the system more.
  4. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    One that balances with the body.

The PL25 is fairly heavy for this system. FT2 isn't that high of a rumour though and we keep on hearing this.
  5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    For some reason, Olympus and Panasonic have stopped designing new pancake lenses. A pity since they really accentuate the advantages of the system in terms of size and quality. A pancake 25/1.8 would be a great addition.
  6. Der@

Der@ Mu-43 Regular

May 29, 2013
    + 1

I'm rather a newbie in photography but I really think that an Olympus 25mm F/1.8 makes all the sense.

Look at the Olympus primes:

12mm F/2.0
    17mm F/1.8 and F/2.8 (this last one has been complemented by a better one but the pancake alternative makes sense too)
    45mm F/1.8
    75mm F/1.8

Where is the gap?

Of course the new 25mm must cost less than the Panaleica otherwise it will be impossible to compete with a faster and expensive lens.

I have just bought the Sigma 30mm as my first non-kit - and non-legacy - lens but certainly my first choice would have been an Olympus 25mm if it was available and at a reasonable cost. I just feel that the 25mm FL is the right one for me...

But for now, since my 2013 photographic gear budget has reached its limits, the Panaleica 25mm has been put in the wishlist... and this hypothetical Oly too.
  7. rogergu

rogergu Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2013
    Need to be metal body:) and black.
  8. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I would be willing to go either way.

If it is a compact and affordable lens that would be great! As others have said pancakes work great on m4/3. I love my 20mm and 14mm for this reason. It will need to be some cheaper to compete and hopefully it is half the price cheaper.

If it is a higher end lens with a REAL focus ring that would be great too. My biggest complaint with m4/3 lenses is the stupid focus by wire setup. As it is I hardly ever manually focus them because they suck so badly. I love using my legacy lenses which are manual BUT I hate{with a passion} the focus by wire.
  9. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    That all? I have already overspent my 2018 budget ;)
  10. Andym72

Andym72 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 4, 2013
    Reading, UK
    Focus by wire is a fundamental part of lenses that fully conform to the m43 standard (so have AF, electrical contacts, etc), actually I think all mirrorless systems use focus by wire. Only the fully manual m43 lenses have mechanical linked focus.

To have mechanical linked focus rings, that then don't turn when you AF, you need an electrically engagable clutch. It's doable (some EOS lenses do this) but it would make lenses bigger and heavier.
  11. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

All Nikkor AF lenses have a REAL focus ring{however some lack a scale} and all of the Canon EOS lenses I have seen do too. The lenses have a switch on the side to switch between auto and manual focus modes. Some have a combined mode{AF with instant manual over-ride} that I am sure use a clutch like you describe{but they are on the high end lenses only}. Size might be an issue but for a REAL focus ring I would be willing to have a little larger lens.

I do realize that the focus by wire is part of the m4/3 standard but I don't have to like it. It is the cheap and stupid way of doing it. They might as well just make the lenses AF only. That would make them even cheaper and smaller!
  12. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Well hold on....
    There is this new Sony/Olympus collaboration and with Sony NEX lenses having OSS built in some models, I'd say anything is possible with future Olympus products :smile:
  13. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    It's Olympus and it's micro 4/3, so if they make a really fine, premium grade 25 and charge for it, they will get whacked for charging too much and trying to compete with the already fine PL 25 f1.4

On the other hand, if they come out with something small for around $200-$300, and leave in the compromises necessary to bring it in at that price point, everyone will howl about what a piece of crap it is, and can't Olympus do anything right they deserve to go out of business stupid Olympus. I look forward to (very briefly) following the discussion about this lens if and when if is ever released.
  14. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    You said it very well Lawrence A.
  15. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Pany 25 does not have OIS either.
  16. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    The PL 25 is a well built lens with a nice focus feel. It is not small, but I like the size. It handles well. The PL 14 is too small to get a good grip on for me.
  17. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Perfectly happy with my PanaLeica 25mm f1.4 on my OMD so will be sticking with this.

I think we have a good selection of 50mm equivalents already and if this is true, unless it is special and cost competitive (less than existing quality options) then it will only be of interest to those Oly owners who only want Oly lenses.
  18. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    I would prefer an 11mm f2.8 that had amazing corners.

Something like the canon 11-22mm would also be nice. It's smaller than their kit zoom and very sharp across the frame. I've been disappointed with the 9-18 and I don't want to fight with purple blobs on the 7-14.
  19. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK

Why not the 12mm f1.8, when stopped down it is sharp all over.........just expensive!
  20. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Sharpness of the 12mm F2 is good but the microcontrast is a little light for such an expensive lens. I Owned it for a few months.