1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

I really want Olympus or Panasonic to make a 17-60/2.8 zoom lens

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by marcl, Nov 29, 2015.

1. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    Looking at all the pictures I take, that lens would cover over 75% of my needs. Perhaps it is no coincidence that the equivalent 35mm range of 35 to 120mm would almost cover the 4 prime lenses I learned to shoot with on my father's Canon AE-1: 35, 50, 85 & 135mm.

Is anyone else wanting a native fast zoom with the same range?

2. MikeB

MikeB Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    I'm a big fan of the Olympus Zuiko 12-60mm 2.8-4.0 lens, though it is pretty large. When doing landscapes and photowalks, it covers the full range of what I'm likely to need. I'd really love to see Olympus re-design and update it for micro four thirds, shrink it down a tiny bit, and a fixed 2.8 aperture would be marvelous.

3. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    I have never toyed with the 12-60. That range would certainly cover even more of my needs, perhaps as much as 90%. But I am willing to give up a bit of the short end to gain constant aperture and keep the size down a bit too. The majority of my photos are portraits of my kids.

4. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    I've written them both a couple of emails asking for a 25-75mm f/2 lens. I also mentioned that I could accept a 25-60 to keep the size more compact. And also I could settle for a 2-2.8 variable aperture as well. :biggrin:

5. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    So then aren't you simply talking about the Oly 12-40/2.8 lens? Available NOW. Or perhaps the Panny 12-35/2.8? Also available now.

Oops, edited to note you said you would give up on the short end, not the long end. Me read gooder. :) 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.